Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Official PSP Thread!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I couldn't wait yo get a game for it, so I picked up Ape Escape. In other news, I have a copy of Ape Escape PSP for sale.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Eternal Tune
    PSN
    EternalTune

I picked up mine at Gamecrazy this morning at 10. They claimed to have only received 20 systems, all for pre-orders only. I was third in line of about 6 or 7 people (all mini-van moms, except one boy my age). There was only one guy working, and he was very confused as to how to operate the computer. A half hour later, I finally got to purchase my system. I bought Lumines and Need for Speed, along with a carrying case and USB cord. Got home and was relieved when (knock on wood) my system was just fine.

The only problem I've had so far is figuring out how to format the memory card so I could put images on my PSP.

I can't wait for Oobgarm to come get me, so we can go pick his up and then proceed with a night of sweet love making with PSPs. Eepo!
    RIP Kamino. 1984-2010. Yes, yes I do like nes...

<+skaar> Maybe you should ask yourself "What is it about me that makes men not want to let me penetrate them?"

Pretzel (Level 4) LiquidPolicenaut's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    LiquidSnake2047

Well, I got mine this morning at 8. I was first there, but by opening there were only 5 people in total. Anyways, I too think it is a sexy machine. Mine unfortunately has 2 dead pixels, but they are in the lower left and, as stated before, so unnoticeable, didnt notice it 99% of the time actually. Spiderman 2, as well as everything on the demo disc, looks very sharp and sounded good too. I had bought Ridge Racer and Lumines yesterday and finally got to play it today. Lumines is hard at first, but it does grow on you and im getting addicted to it. Sadly, I still have only unlocked one new skin Ridge Racer is exactly what I wanted.. a pure Ridge Racer from the old days, plus some nitro. Music is very nice, although I wish there were more tracks from RR and RRR (Good Remix = Drive U 2 Dancing, Bad Remix = Rare Heroes). It brought a tear to my eye to see the 2 tracks from the originals in there, but now with PSP graphics *sniff sniff* So far, Im pleased with it!

P.S. - I also hooked up the PSP to my stereo and Ridge Racer and Lumines sound even more splendid on a home system

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

Well I posted earlier today that i wasnt going to get one, but my wife picked one up today as a surprise for me. So I guess I'll post what I think of it.
    Part of the #Vbender Crew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I WILL get one.. But I'm balking on a quick buy due to the price.

I'm sure once a game comes out that I can't resist I will have one in my pocket.. usually this process takes anywhere from a month to one and a half years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This sucks. The first PSP I got had several bad pixels on it. I returned it for another one and now the new one is even worse than the first one I had before. Now there is a cluster of 6 or 7 bad pixels in one corner of the screen. Almost looks like a big glob of dust is trapped under the screen but after looking at it closely, it's obviously a problem with the pixels. It's not that noticeable while playing a game, but it sticks out like a sore thumb when I'm watching videos.

I called the store I got it from and they said they are now all out of PSP's. They said I could either get my money back or wait for the next shipment to come in to get an exchange. Not sure what I want to do now. x_x

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Has anyone messed around with DVD/video-clip conversion utilities yet? The latest issue of OPM mentioned iPSP (www.kaisakura.com) for Mac users, and I just found www.pspvideo9.com for PC users.

On a barely-related note, my non-gaming sig-other was blown away by the quality of the Spider-Man 2 UMD, and said she'd gladly buy movies in the UMD format.

-- Z.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just walked around NYC for the last 45 minutes (10 short blocks, and 5 long blocks - I earned my McD's value meal today!) , and saw all sorts of PSP-ness around.

Verizon's got PSP's covering the back of payphone-banks.

The Virgin Megastore has photocopied sheets on every door saying they do have PSPs in stock, but there is a 1-to-a-customer limit, and you MUST buy 2 games with the system in order to buy one.

While out and about, I saw 4 or 5 people walking carrying just-purchased PSP units.

I stopped a Gamestop to look for Gamecube stuff. The store was pretty crowded. A clerk told me they had sold about 300 units total (presales). THere was a long line of folks buying their preslae units, and the store was nearly out of games. As an aside, I tried to buy a copy of NFL2k3 (used) for the gamecube. WHen the sales clerk came out of the backroom with the game, he explained that they had no original cases for the game - he had a few copies in the back to sell ,and he couldn't give me the case I'd picked up from the display as it was his only one. SO he offered me an empty DVD case to use. I declined. I haven't ever tried to sell old games - do Gamestops/EBs/etc... typically buy games without a case?

Also, I'm curious to see what the physical media looks like. Anybody here have pics yet?
    "A 'Radical Centrist' ??? Isn't that like being a Take-No-Prisoners Pussy? " - Stephen Colbert
    My Resume
    My Blog

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just tried converting one of my home movies to PSP. It got to like 5% and it was 5MB thus far. That movie was NOT fitting on the 32MB memcard that came with it. I'll mess around with thius more when I get a bigger memory card.

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

Ok, quick thoughts.

Too easy to get fingerprints and smudges EVERYWHERE. Easy to clean off though.

I find Ridge Racer in all its glory is easier to control with the d-pad. Could be just me. That's nothing against the nub, it's just that RR feels more natural with the pad.

Graphically amazing. Some slightly blurry textures during replays; way too hard to see during gameplay.

The screen is the greatest thing to ever happen to video games. Ok, maybe not, but I have to make a point somehow.

Video quality on Spiderman is better than a DVD, damn close to HDTV quality... really.

No demos on the extra disc? Boo.

I'm worried about dust getting under the hole in the back of the UMD caddy.

I could care less about the downloading qualities and that, but it seems easy.

I'm split on Wipeout. That, or I'm in love with RR. Not sure yet.

No dead pixels because I rock, or I'm just damn lucky.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Man I really hope I don't get any dead pixels. Just because I don't wanna deal with the hassle of getting another one.

Great Puma (Level 12) RetroYoungen's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cy4nBlue
    PSN
    RetroYoungen
    3DS Friend
    0817-3748-2336

Did anyone pick up Archer Maclean's Mercury? It looked pretty interesting and pretty fun, maybe one of the reasons why I would buy this system. Though, hearing about all of the dead pixel problems, maybe I should hold out, maybe just buy the games, just in case they're discontinued...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just returned my 2nd PSP. They said that I couldn't get any more replacements or store credit because all the other retail stores like Best Buy and Circuit City are basically saying "tough luck" to anyone with pixel problems. They did let me exchange it for another "defective" PSP that someone else returned earlier that day that had one sole dead pixel (so far, they've had 5 returns of 17 PSP's sold). It really isn't even that bad and you can barely see it, so I'm happy with it. Actually looks more like a speck of dust than a dead pixel. Those other two I had though were terrible.

Now I can finally relax and enjoy this thing!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by norkusa
    Best Buy and Circuit City are basically saying "tough luck" to anyone with pixel problems.
    If I wind up with a bunch of dead pixels and they tell me that, all hell will break loose considering I paid the extra $40 for the replacement plan. I'll take a shit on their floor.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by buttasuperb
    Quote Originally Posted by norkusa
    Best Buy and Circuit City are basically saying "tough luck" to anyone with pixel problems.
    If I wind up with a bunch of dead pixels and they tell me that, all hell will break loose considering I paid the extra $40 for the replacement plan. I'll take a shit on their floor.
    like that would be abnormal for you? you shit everywhere you go...

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

picked up two

ridge racer
    mgs
    ape escape

tempted to do the trade in thing at eb for a generic sports game....

still so far so good

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

what's the capacity of them UMDs?
    *insert signature >here<*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey Darren, I heard you got one. Impressions?

I'll be down for that test drive thing so I'll look at it then.. No one I know has one yet..

As for dead pixels.. LCD tech. is used stock by the time it gets to the US.. We get Japan's old tech. repackaged.
    Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Richter
    Pretty sure it's 1.8GB or something close to that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by samuraiX
    Quote Originally Posted by Richter
    Pretty sure it's 1.8GB or something close to that.
    wow! That is amazing portable space! even 1 gig bests the DS like the N64 and PS1
    Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.