Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Official PSP Thread!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jasoco
    Anyone know the resolution of the screen on the PSP?
    480 pixels wide x 272 pixels high, 16x9/1.78:1, 16+ million colors.

-- Z.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zmweasel
    Anyone know the resolution of the screen on the PSP?
    480 pixels wide x 272 pixels high, 16x9/1.78:1, 16+ million colors.

-- Z.
    Wow.

So, if someone were to create an NES/SNES emulator, the games would fit perfectly on it?

I have this sinking feeling I'm going to break down tomorrow. I'm going to see a box sitting in the case and I'm going to break down. Poof. $300 gone.

Guess there's only one way to find out.

I just watched a video review of Lumines on GameSpot, and aside from learning that it's pronounced Loo-min-ess and not Loo-mines, it really made me want one more than ever.

Edit: Dammit. Now I just watched the video for Mercury... Looks like I won't be waiting for a price drop.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So, if someone were to create an NES/SNES emulator, the games would fit perfectly on it?
    Yep! I can't *wait* for emulators to hit. I imagine that even PS1 (ISO image) and N64 emus are within the PSP's capabilities, but I would gladly settle and/or kill for Genesis/SNES/NES/TG-16 emus. The PSP can run game code from a MS Duo, so it's gotta be just a matter of time.

-- Z.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There has to be some kind of irony in playing Mario 64 on the PSP.

The more emulators they make, the better. I'll settle for just an NES and SNES one! Mmm.. portable Mario RPG on a non-Nintendo system. It boggles the mind!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I picked mine up this morning was and searched long and hard for any dead pixels. I didn't find any until about an hour ago playing in the dark. I have one little red one in the center. I purchased it from Game Crazy, with the warranty. I wouldn't want to take it back now because I don't know when I'd get another one. How familiar is anyone with the Game Crazy warranty? I really don't want to get rid of my Spiderman UMD when I decide to take it back. If I bring it back in a couple of months, do I need all of the packaging, or do they just need the system itself?

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So, who just got a brand new $300 portable system? Not me!
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

In reference to the locked PSP analog stick thread link above (supposedly not digital)

It's not quite digital in the sense that a directional signals are measures in degrees as opposed to just a "yes" or "no". Some old PC games like Wing Commander III measure the analog signal by degrees (if I remember correctly) with something like a positive or negative value between 0 and 255 for the x and y axes. It's that such degrees exist that make it analog.
    So yeah, in that sense, analog sticks really aren't analog, as they are measure on a digital level by the machine. It gives the appearance of being analog to us. I suppose it's easier to advetise it as analog rather than, "Sort of analog, but not really because blah blah blah."

And for the record, that thread really did not need to be locked, imo. There's plenty of other PSP threads that weren't locked...dunno why this one got singled out. Maybe Sothy can post about his PSP fund here (kidding, Sothy...obviously a seperate thread is fine by me. Sorry to make you an example, heh heh. That thread rocks!).

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by rbudrick
    And for the record, that thread really did not need to be locked, imo. There's plenty of other PSP threads that weren't locked...dunno why this one got singled out.
    The only PSP thread that was redirected here was about the Canadian Gretzky package (and Sothy's which is really OT). There will be LOTS of individual threads about PSP in the future but like the DS before it, I'm trying to keep things tidy. It's a classic gaming forum and I don't like to see it overrun with tons of (mostly) duplicate topics on a brand new system. Fear not, this is a temporary thing until the fascination drops to normal levels

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I personally can't wait for a Neo Geo emu, and other arcade games (especially shooters)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got one.

I can't see how anyone wouldn't be peeing themselves about the screen.

Sadly, the QA issues are awful. Dead pixels and sticky buttons. Nasty stuff. The unit is beautiful, although it has some flaws. It's much sexier than the DS. Fingerprints, I have a sticky O button, scratchability,dead pixels. I admit that I am an early adopter, and I'm not going to bitch about stuff that will be fixed in the next iteration and that don't really bother me. Maybe I'm lucky about the pixels. They are pretty small pixels.

I don't quite know why they did this bundle thing. Perhaps it will only be a couple of months until they unbundle it and sell it for $200. The accessories and memory card are definitely a $50 package individually, they way they price stuff. (PS2 memory cards are STILL $25.)

Playing the system, it's f$%@ing awesome. I am SO into it. I have Untold Legends, which is just great hack n' slash not much different from Champions of Norrath and Baldur's Gate.

I got NFS Underground Rivals, which I played very briefly. It looks really really nice, and plays well, but I have yet to determine how compelling the game play will be. I kinda wish I'd waited for Ridge Racers, but that's a short story I won't tell right now.

Tony Hawk UG 2 Remix looks good, but it's a very fast moving game graphically and there is some smudging, which I got used to. The controls are a little different than your PSX controller, and takes a little getting used to.

I hope to play some WAN games next time I see any gaming friends (unlike you kids and college students, I have few or none that I see regularly.)

I don't care. There is no dispute here. I use my DS to play GBA games. FINALLY, I have a next gen handheld console that I actually want to play in liew of console games.

And to one who is upset about prices, but bought a DS. It's $50 more and includes a complete accessory kit. I just don't comprehend the dispute. If you're a Nintendowhore, it's ok. Just stop complaining about the other corporation being so much worse. Big business is big business.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

After spending pretty much the ENTIRE day with mine yesterday, I have to say this is one of the damn nicest things I've ever spent 250.00 on. Honestly....it's well worth 250.00 and MORE. Here's some of my observations....

Pro's

The Spider-Man 2 movie looks better than DVD.

The screen is dead sexy.

Analog control is much better than anticipated.

PSP case is pretty nice, as well as the headphones and wrist strap.

Battery life is good. Yes....good.

Clear L & R buttons. Nice touch!

Con's

You need a cleaning cloth with you constantly...FINGERPRINTS!

I have a few dead pixels and dust under the screen, but it's manageable. Hell, it took me 8 hours of playing to even notice them, and it was on a black screen when I did.

Sound is kind of low on some games.

--------

Well worth the wait, Lumines is my favorite game. And no, it doesn't have any periods of silence in the music, but it does get low now and again....part of the game though.

Also, the "flying UMD's" was just a myth. Some guy set it up on his own, it's not true.

BUY A DAMN PSP TODAY!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cmosfm

BUY A DAMN PSP TODAY!
    No problem, I'll get right on that. I'll be looking for your $300 check in the mail.
    :P
    "A 'Radical Centrist' ??? Isn't that like being a Take-No-Prisoners Pussy? " - Stephen Colbert
    My Resume
    My Blog

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmmm my psp is on its way in the mail with ape escape...i hope i have no problems with mine >.< quick question, i scrounged up sum money and bought Bleach off of lik-sang - i thougt i heard that not only can u play imports but you can play them in english? is this true? if it is im gonna get tails of eternia with my paycheck
    Got it in you?
    www.anipike.com

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by norkusa
    This sucks. The first PSP I got had several bad pixels on it. I returned it for another one and now the new one is even worse than the first one I had before. Now there is a cluster of 6 or 7 bad pixels in one corner of the screen. Almost looks like a big glob of dust is trapped under the screen but after looking at it closely, it's obviously a problem with the pixels. It's not that noticeable while playing a game, but it sticks out like a sore thumb when I'm watching videos.

I called the store I got it from and they said they are now all out of PSP's. They said I could either get my money back or wait for the next shipment to come in to get an exchange. Not sure what I want to do now. x_x
    Get your money back and wait.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Great Puma (Level 12) DeputyMoniker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

Quote Originally Posted by Kaine23
    My FYE sold 4 of the 10 units we had today. No returns. I'm assuming the button layout "problem" and the disc-ejection issue, if that wasn't fixed, will be fixe din the 2nd gen PSPs?
    The disc-ejection non-issue only occurs when a retarded PSP owner twists the damn thing like a pretzel. Quoting the PSP manual:

"Do not forcibly twist the PSP system or expose the system to strong physical shock during gameplay, as doing so can damage the system or cause the disc cover to open, ejecting the disc."

In other words, don't be a dumb-ass, and the PSP will be fine.

As for the SQUARE-button blown-out-of-proportion issue, my SQUARE button is working fine, and the issue only affected a small percentage of Japanese PSP units.

The only legitimate reason to wait for a second-gen PSP is if you're fretting over the current hardware's battery life, but it's fine for everything short of cross-country road trips and cross-continental flights, and you can (and should) buy an external battery pack if you're putting in that much travel time.

-- Z.
    Sony stated that the square button problem had been fixed and no untis shipped to the US would suffer the problem.
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/view...=square+button

Does anybody know how large a memory card the PSP can handle? Ive seen the 1GB card but can it hendle more? Movies movies movies!

How is Untold Legends? Would you say its more like FFXI or Diablo?

Click here to view my collection.
    DP FFXIV Username & Server List.

PSN, Switch, U, Steam, and Twitch: tellUwut

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Draggon
    Be glad you didn't waste $300 with some serious defects, I've heard some stores have dead pixel rate as high as 80%, I want this thing too, but until Sony fix the problem (which seems unlikely at this point), I'll not touch any of their systems.

Don't worry about crazy bundles, Best Buy must be stuck with a lot of PSP units and now they're dying to unload them, you can get it online for even less than in store

http://cheapassgamer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=55974

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Damn, Dan, you're hard to impress. You honestly don't think the PSP's screen is miles above and beyond any previous handheld game system? Or are you comparing the PSP screen to PC monitors?
    Heh, yeah... sorry

I think it stems from my Pocket PC, of all things. I have a Dell Axim, and while the display of the PSP is obviously polygonal while my Pocket PC is not, the Pocket PC screen looks just as crisp to me as the PSP.

I think I was hyped up a little too much for it. I was expecting it to be near the quality of my home Sony LCD monitor ($600.00) and when it wasn't quite _that_ great, I was a little disappointed It is pretty slick though...

On an aside, I read in the paper today that Sony had one million units on store shelves yesterday and they expected to completely sell out yesterday. From all accounts that I heard, they sold through about 10-25% of their stock, which is still a pretty amazing launch.

Quote Originally Posted by vincewy
    Be glad you didn't waste $300 with some serious defects, I've heard some stores have dead pixel rate as high as 80%, I want this thing too, but until Sony fix the problem (which seems unlikely at this point), I'll not touch any of their systems.
    I said this for the DS (and all the Sony lovers said I was trying to cover something up...) and I'll say it again for the PSP (and to all the Nintendo lovers who will say I'm trying to covers something up...) -- LCD screen technology is no where near perfect! If you get a screen with a resolution like the PSP has, you have 130560 pixels on it. Each one is it's own little unit. So if you get a unit with an astronomically high 13 dead pixels, then you have a failure rate of something like 0.0001%. That's pretty good.

That having been said, I HATE dead pixels with a passion. If I bought a unit that had any, I would return it -- while I doubt there is anything to back me up statistically on this, if I get a monitor with 10 dead pixels in it, I would assume that it was more likely to have more die. If I get one that is perfect, if 10 eventually die, I'm right at the same point. Even with just one or two, it seems to me like they are more likely to die if your monitor already has dead pixels. It probably has nothing to do with reality, but I would replace them if I were any of you that have even one or two -- even if you don't notice it during gameplay.

I took back my $600 Sony monitor (twice) for dead pixel problems...
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vincewy
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Draggon
    Yeah, really. If I had to do it all over again, I'd wait for a new batch of PSP's to come out that'll hopefully have this problem fixed. Dead pixels on a handheld is totally unacceptable and I can't believe Sony is saying it's a common occurrence and should be expected. Hell, they even have that stated in the PSP manual! Sounds to me they know the screens are shitty but they are trying to cover their asses by telling people some B.S. excuses.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I picked mine up yesterday and it was flawless out of the box.

The battery only had about 30 or 40 minutes on it which was just enough to show the techno dudes at work what the PSP could do. I was surprised that it fully recharged in about 2 hours or less.

Everybody who has seen it has been impressed and my 13 year old son hates me! heheheee
    Not really but he's such a gaming geek, he already owns a DS and a QD and now he wants a PSP.

My first and only game is Ridge Racer and it ROCKS!

I think I'll pick up Wipe Out Pure or Untold Legends tonight, I just can't decide which one.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by norkusa
    Yeah, really. If I had to do it all over again, I'd wait for a new batch of PSP's to come out that'll hopefully have this problem fixed. Dead pixels on a handheld is totally unacceptable and I can't believe Sony is saying it's a common occurrence and should be expected. Hell, they even have that stated in the PSP manual! Sounds to me they know the screens are shitty but they are trying to cover their asses by telling people some B.S. excuses.
    Totally. Just wait and save your cash for something that won't break out of the box.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)