Quote Originally Posted by umich
    buy one, its worth it, and it will own the ds, as much as i love nintendo
    Wanna bet?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Tales of Eternia just came in the mail. That game is great, and I think the intro looks somewhat better than on a TV, but it may just be because of the smaller screen.

I don't think it's going to own the DS, or even that the DS is going to own it. DS has more games coming out for it, but sales of PSP in Japan seem strong which indicates to me that the marketplace is going to have to support 2 portable systems, will Nintendo have to change their portable strategy bevcause of this? Probably, but I think both of the systems are going to hold their own.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ExistingLemon

I got my system today... I like most of them games that I got (Ape Escape, Metal Gear, Untold Legends, Lumines), I am iffy about one of them (Wipeout), and I don't like 1 (Twisted Metal) becuase it makes my hand cramp to use the d-pad constantly to drive. I kind of wish now that I had gotten Tony Hawk as it looks like it would be fun.
    Egbert, I miss you...

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TonK
    Quote Originally Posted by umich
    Wanna bet?
    YES! $1.25.... that's all I can afford...

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by norkusa
    Quote Originally Posted by vincewy
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Draggon
    So, who just got a brand new $300 portable system? Not me!
    Be glad you didn't waste $300 with some serious defects, I've heard some stores have dead pixel rate as high as 80%, I want this thing too, but until Sony fix the problem (which seems unlikely at this point), I'll not touch any of their systems.
    Yeah, really. If I had to do it all over again, I'd wait for a new batch of PSP's to come out that'll hopefully have this problem fixed. Dead pixels on a handheld is totally unacceptable and I can't believe Sony is saying it's a common occurrence and should be expected. Hell, they even have that stated in the PSP manual! Sounds to me they know the screens are shitty but they are trying to cover their asses by telling people some B.S. excuses.
    True, I would be totally peeved about dead pixels, even if it only cost $50! My Game Gear never had that problem, and neither did my Nomad, which I did pay something like $200 for. My Game Gear did have alot of dust and crap under the screen, but the screen was easily pried off and cleaned, then put back in place without even having to buy a new screen or use additional glue. So I would hope that the screens on the PSP are as easily replaced as those on the Game Gear and the Nomad. You can get replacement screens on ebay anytime for a reasonable price, and instantly have a new screen. So even if your screen gets scratched to heck, it's easily fixed by yourself. The PSP will need to be handled in the same way, or there will be alot of really crappy looking used PSP's on ebay soon. Not to mention alot of returns. I can't believe so many people are so complacent about so many dead pixels!

As for the DS, I may get one of those before I get a PSP. It's actually $100 less than the PSP. I don't know about the rest of the country, but they sell for $150 here in Houston, although that's probably a bare bones package. And since it plays GBA games, there may be no point in me getting a GBA, unless they lower the price of those to only $50, like I'm hoping they will soon. If they do that, I'm all over a GBA and will just wait on the new stuff.

However, everything that I just said will go completely out the window as soon as I hear that the DS or the PSP is getting a really good pinball game! Whichever one gets a decent pinball first will be the one that I get first. That's the only reason why I want a GBA anyway, for the pinballs it has.

So, please don't tell me that there's any DS or PSP pinballs coming out before this Christmas, because I really don't see myself being able to get either one before Christmas. I still have a very long wishlist of games for all the systems that I currently own to whittle down before I can seriously think about adding any new systems to my collection. I will definitely go with a new portable long before I ever go for a new console though. I have plenty of room for new portables, but really no room for any new consoles without storing an old one away, and I don't want to store any old ones away. I'd much rather just collect for a new portable or two, because I'd only buy a few games for portables, but a new console would own me and my wallet!
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I picked up my system about 2 hours ago. I was pretty worried about dead pixels after reading all the threads about them, but I haven't noticed a single one. *knocks on wood*

Haven't had a whole lot of time to play with it, but initial reaction is this is by far the best portable I've seen. It has a lot of wow factor and is very sexy to look at and hold. I played a bit of Wipeout and was very impressed with the entire package.

The UMD movie format might actually work out for me. I travel a lot, so that would give me a way to kill some time if I don't feel like playing a game. Going the memory stick route will probably prove to be more cost effective, but I think the estimated prices on the movies will drop quick.

My only complaint is that I can't seem to find just the disk protectors. I don't want to buy yet another case and cleaning cloth to get them, but that's the only way I've seen them

Bottom line, this thing is incredible! I like all my portables, but I know this will be the one that gets used the most. The DS is cool and has some real potential with a stronger library, but the PSP already oozes sex and power and it's just 1 day after launch!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BurgerTrench

My PSP chimed in with 2 dead pixels, but I'm going to live with it. Could be worse.

But yes, it is quite s e x x y

It was brilliant to include the Spiderman 2 UMD. It's going to sell that platform. After you see how good it looks you'll be a true believer.
    "Be proud of what we make you do." - Master Shake, SGC2C - Baffler Meal
    Blog time!
    On Facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Damn. I have low will power.. So last night I made a deal. If my store was out of them, I would be in the clear...

Bad news is we weren't out of them... D'OH!

Yeah, yeah. I know.

Lumines was calling.

I'm not going to make any bets about who's gonna win. I don't care who wins. At least we get some cool games out of it. Lumines kicks ass. Mercury will rock. Namco Museum will own me for a short while. There'll be more. I can't wait for all the emulators.

Looking back in retrospect. I can't believe I just spent $300 on a video game system.

Best part is no dead pixels at all. It's perfect.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jasoco
    Damn. I have low will power.. So last night I made a deal. If my store was out of them, I would be in the clear...

Bad news is we weren't out of them... D'OH!

Yeah, yeah. I know.

Lumines was calling.

I'm not going to make any bets about who's gonna win. I don't care who wins. At least we get some cool games out of it. Lumines kicks ass. Mercury will rock. Namco Museum will own me for a short while. There'll be more. I can't wait for all the emulators.

Looking back in retrospect. I can't believe I just spent $300 on a video game system.

Best part is no dead pixels at all. It's perfect.
    Great...now I'm gonna be the next one to break. I'll probably have it in my hands tomorrow

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Joooiinn ussss.. Joooiiiiinnnnn uuussssss.....

I still wish it came with a free copy of The Incredibles instead. I know. I know. Disney, not Sony.. Blah blah blah.. I want my portable Incredibles!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm out.

*slaps cash on the table a la Kramer*
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Excanged mine for another today, this one seems to have no dead pixels. So far so good.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Quote Originally Posted by Drexel923
    Great...now I'm gonna be the next one to break. I'll probably have it in my hands tomorrow
    No, I was the next one to break. Well, it didn't help that Achika was right next to me and when I asked 'Talk me out of buying this', she just looked at me, laughed, and said 'Gimme'.

The thing is sexy. Dead sexy. I got mine at TRU, and the guy said he had 40 of them in the back. Wow, guess no one shops at TRU anymore unless it's a clearance sale (heh). I got Darkstalkers, Lumines, and Ape Escape, and got this cheesy intec accessories pack which I probably won't open for free.

The screen is a thing of beauty. I gave each game a spin, along with Spiderman 2. Not bad, not bad at all. Looks like I have no dead pixels, but then again, I didn't look much for them. The smartest thing they did was include that smudgy cloth... the finish on the system sucks fingerprints on it. The neverending stream of extra crap pouring out of the box was a nice tough... my extra $50 feels justified.

But the system is smooth. The games play like silk too. But I have to admit, if the PSP gets some more decent software, the DS is kinda screwed. But it was funny to watch Meston jump to the rescue when someone pointed out some of the negative stigma issues with the PSP. Hi Zach! See you at E3. Heh.

I would have liked to have waited on it, just because of money, but it seems worth it for now.

dave

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Seriously, how the hell do you walk into a store and plop down $300 on something that has a good chance of being defective? What's going on, people? Did Sony drug your Pepsi or something?

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Dude
    Seriously, how the hell do you walk into a store and plop down $300 on something that has a good chance of being defective? What's going on, people? Did Sony drug your Pepsi or something?
    wow, a couple dead pixels, boo hoo. I bought a 1500.00 laptop from Dell that has a couple dead pixels. I'm sorry but a few TEENY TINY dots on your screen that you can't even NOTICE without a black screen in near complete darkness is nothing to deter you from buying a system. And it doesn't make it defective, it makes it a normal LCD based product.

and double

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by buttasuperb
    Excanged mine for another today, this one seems to have no dead pixels. So far so good.
    FUCK

Booted it up at home, noticed 3 or 4 burnt pixels much smaller than the one I had on the previous PSP. How the hell didn't I notice this when I tested it at Best Buy. Must be something with the lighting there.

I understand the risk with LCD technology, but when I'm spending $250 on something with a screen that small, I want it perfect. Looks like I'm going back again tomorrow. I wish gas was cheaper...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cmosfm
    wow, a couple dead pixels, boo hoo. I bought a 1500.00 laptop from Dell that has a couple dead pixels. I'm sorry but a few TEENY TINY dots on your screen that you can't even NOTICE without a black screen in near complete darkness is nothing to deter you from buying a system. And it doesn't make it defective, it makes it a normal LCD based product.

and double
    Sing it, Barry. Sing it.

I went in fully knowing there was a chance of dead pixels. But I also knew that if I really wanted to, I could get my money back if I wanted to.

Fortunately for me, I didn't have to. Unfortunately for me, I didn't get to.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

Sony responds accordingly to the pixel problem, for those who consider it a problem at least. Here.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Dude
    No they drugged my Coke.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

And my Mt. Dew.