Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video Game Magazines

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Video Game Magazines

Hey, I'll start off with the typical "long time reader, first post" intro. This site is great place! Kudos to the website designers! Everyone (well almost) is well behaved and it's amazing that its still this way, considering all the other video game forums with your typical haterz, flamers and so forth.

I just wanted to know what you guys read for magazines out there. I used to have a subscription to Nintendo Power during the SNES days but since then I've been using IGN/Gamespy as my main source of info. I miss having something to read in my hands instead of looking at a computer screen.

I remember Gamepro was ok during that time but thats all I really know, I'm out of the loop so help me out guys. I want to get a subscription but I dont know with who... Suggestions?

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I prefer EGM and Game Informer over anything else. I also have an Insider subscription to IGN for more up to date news and so forth. Those three are more than enough for me.

Oh, and welcome to the boards! Be sure to post in the "Introduce Yourself" thread while you're here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Even though there has been, and probably will continue to be a downard spiral in EGM, I still read it, and probably will as long as Dan Hsu is the Editor in Chief. Another good magazine, that i can't get around here, is Play. Play tends to be more for adult readers, but it's nie to see a magazine that actually has journalism in it, instead of simply screenshots and glossy paper (it has those too mind you ).

I occassionally pick up a GamePro or Computer Gaming or whatever else has a cover that has a story that catches my interest. Lately I have heard that Nintendo Power has been swinging more toward an aged gamer, and in the latest issue you can see (Killer 7 on the cover).

That's all.

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

Hey Surka,

Welcome! There have been a few posts like this before. Do a search for magazines in ths forum and see what you can find. Oh, and if you like to read about gaming, Play is the way to go.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

You know, I actually picked up and read Retro Gamer last month, and it's a fine fine rag. So is GamesTM. I would say something about writers in the UK just being better in general, but most of their freelancers seem to be American.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

If you have as much interest in classic computer games as classic console games, Retro Gamer is the way to go, even though it is a bit expensive in the states. I have a subscription, and it's been worth every penny.

As far as a magazine for current games, I think there's not much difference as far as material covered, so I'd probably get Game Informer. It seems to review new games just as well as anybody else does, and EGM really really sucks now, as much as it pains me to say it.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Rogmeister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, we seem to get a "what magazines do you read" thread every couple of months...I've probably started one myself. While I've enjoyed many magazines in the past, I think I'm now tiring of them and tend to just leaf through the ones I get in the mail and then toss them out. I do still kind of like EGM despite its flaws. I'll probably let them all expire (except for DP) when their time comes. My sub to EGM lasts until next year so that'll be the last to go.

And I seem to be in the minority about Play. I don't really think a whole lot about that one.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rogmeister
    Yes, we seem to get a "what magazines do you read" thread every couple of months...I've probably started one myself. While I've enjoyed many magazines in the past, I think I'm now tiring of them and tend to just leaf through the ones I get in the mail and then toss them out. I do still kind of like EGM despite its flaws. I'll probably let them all expire (except for DP) when their time comes. My sub to EGM lasts until next year so that'll be the last to go.

And I seem to be in the minority about Play. I don't really think a whole lot about that one.
    I am in the same boat as my friend Roger on this one. I currently get OXM, Gamepro ( free sub.), Game Informer. I will probably let them all expire, but I may keep getting Game Informer as long as it's $10 to renew from Game Stop. I know you guys are gonna rip me, but I actually enjoy Gamepro probably the best. I used to have 5 gaming mags (Playstation, XBN) but I never renewed Playstation and XBN went under, and got cancelled.
    DC--- It's STILL thinking....!!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only gaming magazine I feel that's worth reading is Play.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know if you'll be able to get them in the US,

but Edge magazine, Games (tm) and Retro Gamer are all very good, unbiased mags.

Games (tm) has got a great retro section every month as well as lots of game industry related articles. Review probably only make up 40% of the mag which i like. they actually give nice realistic scores as well.

retrogamer is great but sometime can be a little hit and miss. It is always quality, it is just sometimes there are issues with nothing of interest in them for me personally.

Edge magazine is a the "uber" games magazine written for a more discerning audience. Lots and lots of great articles and quality reviews. It is the "Marie Claire" (spelling?) of the gaming world.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is as good a place as any to announce that the next book to be released by Rolenta Press will be Confessions of The Game Doctor by Bill Kunkel, co-founder of the first, and still best, videogame magazine of all time: Electronic Games.
    Leonard Herman
    The Game Scholar
    Publisher of Historical Videogame Books
    http://www.rolentapress.com
    Phoenix 4 coming in 2014

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Unfortunately, I think the best gaming magazines have folded and now are things of the past. I personally feel that Die Hard Game Fan (during the Halverson era) was the best gaming magazine in existence. Unfortunately it died out a long time ago. If you can track down any of the issues from when it started in October of 1992 till about Jan of 1999, then you are doing yourself a real favor, because these old mags are gold.

Another great mag that has gone under quite awhile ago is Next-Generation. Next-Generation was actually the U.S. version of Edge. That is a real quality mag, they didn't start up until around 1994 and died out around 2000 or so. If you can find any of those old issues, I would scoop them up as well.

Gamer's Republic is another good one, that has long since gone under. Of course the guy that did that mag and GameFan, Dave Halverson, went on to start up Play. Which is a great mag, but which I personally feel wastes a little too much space on non gaming related stuff that I can get in FHM or Maxim or Stuff. But the gaming part of the mag is very good. It's a expensive mag though. You can't get it dirt cheap like you can the other rags.

Right now, I would have to say that the best pound for pound mag currently in existence is Game Informer. I can't believe that I'm saying that, because I used to hate Game Informer. Back when the XBOX first came out, they were so anti-Xbox and pro-PS2 that it made me sick. But they have eventually gotten over that, and their mag has actually gotten better and better as time has gone by. Plus, you can get it dirt cheap.

Gamepro and EGM are pretty crappy as far as I'm concerned. I would never buy either one. If I somehow got them for free, well, they are decent to read while on the John, but other than that, forget it.

The mags in the U.K. are awesome, but cost a fortune to get if you live in the U.S. I especially like GamesTM. I've seen a few issues of that mag, and if I could ever buy a stack of them for a decent price I would.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Biafra Riot

After reading the latest Game Informer's reviews, it makes me wish XBN was still around

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was just thinking about getting OPM (US edition)...since it has the ps2 demo discs

but is the mag also good itself?
    ------------------------------

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I only read 2 magazines each month:

EGM
    PC Gamer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

OPM is even worse than EGM, in my opinion.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

All of them have their strenghts and weaknesses. Overall, I'd go for GameInformer.

GI biggest strenghts are the three main stories in each issue about games being developed. Coupled with interviews, the articles delve into interesting and the most challenging problems of current game design if you read them carefully. The 'Connect' section is also tailored towards a more mature audience.

GIs biggest strenghts is also the reason for its biggest shortcoming: often I miss greater distance to certain games in their reviews. Good connections, invitations, parties, and good treatment by dvelopers/publishers lead easily to a favorable atmosphere between journalists and gamemakers which results in unintended bias. Developers/publishers (like interest groups in politics) try to create a favorable environment to influence judgement in subtle ways; exclusive interviews and generous 'behind-the-scenes'-invitations increase the danger of the attitude 'I really shouldn't hurt them' in reviews.

For previews get GI, for reviews get EGM, for guides and information about collecting get 'Tips and Tricks,' for classic gaming get either Videogame Collector or the DP 'zine with unusual and hands-on contributions.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks guys, all your replies were very informative. I'm gonna run off to a local book store and take a look at the suggestions you gave me. Looks like GameInformer just might get my money on this one. Retro Gamer is just too expensive for this time of year for me... thanks again you guys are great. I look forward to joining this forum community.!

Adios!

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Rogmeister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just got the latest Tips & Tricks today. It's nothing BUT tips & tricks this time...including a Dreamcast section for a change. That's interesting but, unfortunately, there are none of the regular columns including Joe's Collector's Corner...I demand a refund!

Oops, I just noticed this is a Tips & Tricks Codebook, not one of their regular monthly issues.

Never mind...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Right now I have free subscriptions to EGM and OPM. Not bad for free, but I wouldn't see myself paying for either of them.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.