Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are you wanting out of the DS?

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Default What are you wanting out of the DS?

So, I bought a DS about a month ago, and I'm having a great time with it, and I feel good about it because some really awesome-looking games are currently on the horizon.

I think the machine really IS innovative, and I like using the touch screen to play QUALITY games instead of the homemade garbage you see on PDAs. The games may be a tad shallow now, but it looks like some deeper ones are on the way, and the possibilities of what you could do with the touch screen in a more complex game are exciting to me.

But in every thread I'm reading lately, people are saying that the DS is a "flop", and that it's just this big "gimmick", and people are pissed off because the touch screen doesn't allow them to play GTA SA or something.

My question to you all is: "What the hell were you expecting?" The system has games that utilize the touch screen and games that don't. It has games that use the microphone, and the dual-screen approach has been rather fruitful (it's utilized rather well for Yoshi Touch and Go, and it adds a lot to the cinemas on Warioware Touched).

Nintendo promised a machine with touch, use of the dual screens, and microphone interaction. We got all of that, and more is on the way. Is everybody afraid of a potentially new way to play games? Do you think the touch screen will rid the world of games like Castlevania forever? Or are you just defending your recent purchase of a PSP?

Ok, flame away!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nintendo is trying to Incorporate their new technology into the DS games way too much... Making us constantly use the touch screen for games like wario ware and such.... Its a good idea and all, but they have to tone it down a little...

People are also prety pissed that they dont have any stellar games out for the DS... and basically defending their psp...

I have both, and I prefer my psp at the moment... Once nintendo starts rolling out with nintendogs and that one court game, things should pick up

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What I want out of the DS?! For it to fail and be taken off the market. I want it to be another Virtual Boy. I really hope they Revolution doesn't require you to use the DS as controllers. That would be pretty stupid.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I hope the Revolution doesn't use a toilet as a controller, that would be really stupid too! If you're going to throw randomness out there, maybe site a source?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ddockery
    Yeah, I hope the Revolution doesn't use a toilet as a controller, that would be really stupid too! If you're going to throw randomness out there, maybe site a source?
    yuppy is refering to an earlier thread about the Rev's possible controllers as DSs'

What do I want out of my DS? nothing just better games, but i'm patient.
    if you can read this congratulations!! you can read

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

I just want more games.

I'm looking forward to the first good RPG that uses the touchscreen (I think the touchscreen can be fantastic for RPGs).

I'd also like to see someone take a stab at PC like gameplay. Like, say, Civilization. The touchscreen could make it more playable than the previous console versions.

I'd also like to see developers making games without feeling they have to use the touchscreen, or the microphone, or the second screen for anything major. Just make good games! (Mr. Driller is a good example of this - doesn't matter to me that it doesn't really use the touchscreen. What matters is that it's a good game).
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Holger Czukay

Quote Originally Posted by Kilik Kurosawa
    Quote Originally Posted by ddockery
    yuppy is refering to an earlier thread about the Rev's possible controllers as DSs'
    Which was an April Fool's joke. A week before April. I dunno, ask the original poster about that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just want more kick-ass 2D games with some fun new features now and then using the mic, touchscreen, etc.
    Sony, we will NEVER forget nor forgive. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G0LlXv-nyI

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

Right now, I use my DS to play Mario 64. I played through Wario Ware already and since I never had a N64, I never went very far in Mario 64 before (before getting a DS, I played it a couple of times only). Oh, and I don't use the stylus to play Mario 64, except when I'm playing the Where's Waldo-like mini-game (my fave mini-game on the card).

I'm not really using it to play GBA games, although the screen resolution is a huge improvement over the GBA SP.

In fact, my only real beef with the DS (aside from the slow game library build-up), is the fact that you can't switch from one thing to another with it, without having to reboot. You know... you're done playing a DS game and want to switch to a GBA game? Gotta reboot the system, even if the GBA game is already inserted. Methinks Nintendo should have added a "Return to start menu" access option.

Oh, and I can't wait to receive my imported copy of Daigasso Band Bros. that I ordered from Play-Asia. I should receive it this week or early next week.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The main thing I'm going to want out of it (when I get one) is Final Fantasy 3.

And Maybe the new Animal Crossing depending on what it offers compared to the GC one.
    I go online sometimes, but ... everyone's spelling is really bad, and it's ... depressing.

--Tara from "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"

BEST SITE FOR IMPORTS!
    http://www.play-asia.com/SOap-23-83-pfh-71-99.html

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

Final Fantasy 3 and Animal Crossing DS are on my to-get list (whenever that woudl be).

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would love to use a toilet as a controller for the Revolution! That would really be awesome!

Um... but seriously...

I want Nintendo to roll out the damn PDA functionality they had once flaunted, and for it not to be severly hampered by Nintendo's worry that the Palm OS can run emulators (and I'm sure that the DS could properly emulate the SNES and NES, which would really make Nintendo angry). But Nintendo promised more than a game system out of this thing, and so far has only delivered a game system.

Other than that, I'd also say it is high time for Nintendo to start rolling out some simple uses for the touch-screen that would be easy to program and would be desirable in a touch-screen setting. How about a bunch of card games like Solitaire? How about Tetris? How about a gambling game (where the second screen could be used to show your opponents?) How about a game like Jawbreaker? Make these games and publish them cheap, and it would make the DS infinitely more attractive to people looking for a good system to kill time with... a true portable. But for some reason, we're stuck waiting for these good titles that trickle out so slowly. That's retarded.

And I'm not yelling at Nintendo more than I would at Sony for faults I find with the PSP. These are just simple things that Nintendo could do to fix things immediatley. The problems I find with the PSP are more design issues, and won't be fixed. Nintendo has more of a chance to impress me. The PSP is more impressive to me _right now_ even with the things that I don't like, but so far Nintendo has just dropped the ball...
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

I want the DS to not suck, and I want to hear something positive about it. When they first announced it, they said they've got over 100 developers working on different titles, and so far the PSP has more games than the DS does, which is incredibly pathetic. One of the DS "games" isn't even a game, it's just a crappy version of picto chat.

So where are the games? We know we've got Mario Kart, Metroid Hunters, Castlevania, FF3, Xenosaga, Animal Crossing DS all slated for... within a year? I know theres a couple more in there, but do they really plan to "support" a system by releasing 20 games a year?

The DS needs a killer app somethin fierce.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I want Animal Crossing and Katamari Damacy. Once those are out I will have a DS.
    \\ : NUON-Dome : / "The place to go for all things NUON." - Edge Magazine

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I want a game that I can pick up and chip away at when I'm going to the bathroom at work. Yes, portables are designed for short play and yes, that's what most of the games so far offer. Fine. But I want short play that adds up. I want to work toward something more than just a high score. The Urbz does this well, but The Urbz is a crappy game. Give me something I want to have in my pocket at all times.

...I guess I just want Animal Crossing DS to come out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by TheRedEye
    I want a game that I can pick up and chip away at when I'm going to the bathroom at work. Yes, portables are designed for short play and yes, that's what most of the games so far offer. Fine. But I want short play that adds up. I want to work toward something more than just a high score. The Urbz does this well, but The Urbz is a crappy game. Give me something I want to have in my pocket at all times.

Warioware Touched, my friend. It's not very long, but it does all that, and does it well.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRedEye

Warioware Touched, my friend. It's not very long, but it does all that, and does it well.
    For like three days. I unlocked everything very quickly.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

What are you wanting out of the DS?
    Lunar 3!

(:

http://www.lunar-net.com/

At least I hope it's a new game and not another port.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

I want a Pokemon game that is backwards-compatible with all the GBA and GCN ones. It better have Celebi, too.

Then I want to see Katamari Damacy. Otherwise, I'm not buying.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I want a game(s) that will create more community. It should have had 'infrastructure' gaming out of the box.

Right now I have both of them and I too prefer my PSP. The best game I had for the DS was Yoshi, and that simply doesnt compare to Wipeout. I only hae so much time to spend on gaming, and while I can very well acknowledge the greatness that is Yoshi touch & go, I simply have more fun with Wipeout.

I've been waiting for something awesome from the DS since October. I'm done waiting, the PSP has brought a smile to my face. I'm not selling my DS or anything, Animal Crossing and nintendogs look pretty cool. But really, If mario kart DS is NOT online, in the infrastructure way, then I really will be jumping ship as far as my nintendo fandom is concerned.

I want the ds to come through on all of nintendos PR. No no no - people did not, not buy new games b/c they were busy playing picto chat. They didn't buy new games b/c all of the launch games were crap, crap with some novel ideas tossed in there, but when the DEMO that came with the system gets more playtime than any of the full "games," then there is a big problemo.