Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

Default PS-X-Change boot disc for PS1

Anyone have one of these? I'm looking to get one from my local Rhino store soon, and I have a few questions about it. For example, does it work on a PSone, or just regular PlayStations?

Anyone that has any info, please let me know.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Holger Czukay

I had one. It's pretty crappy. It works with Playstation and PSOne, but here are the downsides:

You can't play games that are more than one disc, because when you swap Disc 1 to Disc 2 (or whatever) it freezes. The boot disc only loads the first disc of course.

Any Japanese Playstation game with mod protection (meaning nearly every one made after '98) won't work, you'll just get the "This console may have been modified" error message. You can use Gameshark codes to bypass this lockout, if you can find them. Emphasis on the if.

I gave up on mine, sold it to someone on here, and just got a stealth chip and modded my PSOne myself.

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Yashiro
    I had one. It's pretty crappy. It works with Playstation and PSOne, but here are the downsides:

You can't play games that are more than one disc, because when you swap Disc 1 to Disc 2 (or whatever) it freezes. The boot disc only loads the first disc of course.

Any Japanese Playstation game with mod protection (meaning nearly every one made after '98) won't work, you'll just get the "This console may have been modified" error message. You can use Gameshark codes to bypass this lockout, if you can find them. Emphasis on the if.

I gave up on mine, sold it to someone on here, and just got a stealth chip and modded my PSOne myself.
    The downsides in question don't affect me... none of the imports I'm wanting to play are more than one disc, and all of them came out in 1997 or before. So this might do the trick for me then... at least until I can get a stealth chip.

Thanks Yash!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ContraVania

I must also extend my thanks. I only have one import Playstation game, but it's a good one. I am talking about Gradius Gaiden, and since it's only one disc and made in 1997, I do believe I'll get one.
    That's it! Next stop: The Junkyard. Population: You!

My college show: The Spirit of Radio, Tuesdays 8-9 p.m. EST = http://www2.etown.edu/clubs_orgs/wwec/listen.asp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I currently own a PSX-change and use it on an original PS. I've never had a problem with playing a disc but I don't believe that own a game made after 97. I have played all the DBZ games, Macross VFX, Bushido Blade, Toshinden 1 and 2, and Gundam.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    icbrkr

I picked one of these up - works fine for anything I was using it for (ermm.. playing.. uh, 'backups'.. yeah that's it). On a PS2 though, it will lock up and crash.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

I don't have a PS-X-Change, but I have something very similar called Boot Disc Version 2.0. Never knew who made the thing and I always suspected it was a ripoff of PS-X-Change. The thing even had it's own web site for downloading cheat patches, utilities and such, but it's already closed up shop from what I can see now. The funny thing is that whenever I find a picture of what I have on the net and click on the link, I am sent to a page selling PS-X-Change version 2.0, so I have a strong feeling these two products are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Yashiro
    I decided to put my Boot Disc 2.0 aka PS-X-Change 2.0 to the test with any Japanese game I have published after 1998. I don't know if any of these were protected or not, but everyone one of them loaded up without a hitch using a regular Sony PSOne and the disc.

Assault Suits Valken 2 1999
    Cyber Org 1999
    Gungage 1999
    Chippoke Ralph no Daibouken 1999
    Deep Freeze 1999
    Finger Flashing 1999
    Ghoul Panic 2000
    Lattice: 200EC7 2000
    Love & Destroy 1999
    Night Raid 2002
    Pepsiman 1999
    Rescue Shot 2000
    Star Ixiom 1999
    Zanac X Zanac 2001

I did have a spot of trouble with one game not loading though. It was Simple Characters 2000 Vol. 8: Gatchaman: The Shooting. I checked around and found that www.megagames.com had everything I remember seeing at the defunct Boot Disc site, including a utility called ImportPlayer. You download that, burn it on a CD and it let's you play any import games that gives PS-X-Change trouble. I did just that and inserted it after my Boot Disc loaded, clicked on ImportPlayer's start button and Gotchaman loaded perfectly after that. Handy thing to have around and free to boot! In fact Megagames had free generic boot disks to download and burn, though I haven't tried any of those. They also have lists of Japanese and PAL games that are protected by various means and might be worth a look. They didn't have Gatchaman listed at all, but I noted that they listed Gungage as being protected and that one didn't give Boot Disc a lick of trouble, so I can't vouch for the accuracy or completeness of the list.

I don't own any multi disk games to comment on that aspect, but I can't find anything to complain about boot disks not working on single disk games so far. Your mileage may vary, of course. I just like to have a simple back up plan that works on unmodded hardware in case my modded systems ever go down. Cheap insurance until I can find a replacement.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Since we are on the same topic, is the JAP Vib Ribbon region protected?

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

I don't 'THINK' so, but they might have done something to the PSBooks version of it (which is the much easier version to get ahold of). I play my Vib Ribbon on a Debugger so I really can't say for certain.

If your going to try and use this loader you'll probably run into issues since some of the best fun is putting in your own cd's to play the game to play unique levels. Since disc swapping isn't allowed that would most likely make that porition of the game unplayble.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PapaStu
    I don't 'THINK' so, but they might have done something to the PSBooks version of it (which is the much easier version to get ahold of). I play my Vib Ribbon on a Debugger so I really can't say for certain.

If your going to try and use this loader you'll probably run into issues since some of the best fun is putting in your own cd's to play the game to play unique levels. Since disc swapping isn't allowed that would most likely make that porition of the game unplayble.
    The reason is that I've the old mod chips that only plays games that doesn't have the protection.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Quote Originally Posted by Fighter17
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaStu

The reason is that I've the old mod chips that only plays games that doesn't have the protection.
    I wasn't sure if you were talking about having a chip, or having this boot disc. Everyone I know who has that game either can play it on a debugger or on a Japanese PS2, so I really don't know about the lockout for it. (Looking at my copy theres a publish date of 1999)
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog