Thread: I lose money selling a NES bundle, then get a insane email

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default I lose money selling a NES bundle, then get a insane email

So I spend 40 dollars total and spend 4 hours to put together a good Nintendo NES bundle.The system sells on ebay for 19.00,I lost money.One week later,the person emails me back saying he feels ripped off.I seriously spent 4 hours on my bedroom floor with a bottle of alcohol and qtips for this.

I get an email:

Dear nintendocholo,

Hello,
    I received the Nintendo today. I have a few concerns. 1st, you state that it comes with everything to work on a TV. RCA cable are not what this system needs to work. I had to go out and buy an RF adapter. 2nd, If this is a new 72 pin connector, why can I only get 1 game to work? 3rd, only 1 game works, you said you tested these games. I have messed with them all for some time now.I know that you sold this "as is" but it should be "as is" stated in your auction at least. I had to buy an extra cable, and I doubt if it has a new 72 pin connector. If you had said, games may not work, You will need to nuy an RF cable, as is. Then I would understand. I have over 400 positive transactions on ebay and feel like I have been ripped off on this one. I would like a refund. I will pay to have the system shipped back to you. Email me ASAP.

My response was like:

Ok,you bought this for 30 plus shipping.First of all,my bundles normally sold for 40-50 dollars USD without shipping.After the total amlount you paid,I lost 20 dollars after buying games and the adaptor,not counting the work I put into the bundle.Do you even know how to clean games with qtips and alcohol?Saying you feel you were ripped off and what not,I would hope you at least know NES maintenance.I cleaned them and got them all to work and feel insulted by you stating I merely said I tested them and being accused of ripping you off.If getting your 30 dollars back is so dreadfully important,I'll gladly pay you a refund.You paid alot less than what the bundle was worth.I will paypal you back the money when my bundle arrives provided it has everything I sold it with.

Then he said:

First, its an auction, I don't care what they "normally" sell for, put a reserve on it if you are worried about it. 2nd, what adaptor?? you provided RCA cables. If you are the NES expert, why would you send RCA cables? 3rd, I am your CUSTOMER. I PAID you in a timely matter. I upheld my end of the deal. Yet you feel that you should insult me? I merely stated that I felt ripped off. By the time I send this back, shipping will eat all of the money I spent. I am going to keep the game system and count it as a lesson learned. With all that said, I will not post any feedback for you, neither + or -. Please do the same. Email me to let me know that we have an agreement.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

First of all, why did you take a negative tone to the buyer? The way i understood it, he wasnt rude or anything. Also true what the buyer says, it doesnt matter if you lost money if the system isnt working for him, thats irrelevant.
    If you want to make it as a seller you must not be rude to your customers, not even if they are rude to you. I know it can be annoying, but you have to be calm.

He might be right about the NES not working eventho you have installed a new 72pin connector. I've had this problem too, cleaned the games good, installed a new 72pin connector and still get a blinking screen.
    Found out that if you dont screw the 72 pin connector on well (even 1mm matters) it wont work properly. I screwed by hand untill i couldnt screw more and it didnt work. Then i used drill to screw, after that it worked.

Anyway.. Hope this will work out ok

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

If you sell an NES you have to package it with a few games. Not as a selling point but as a life perserver. Take those 5 games you sell with the system and clean them in and out 100%. Make sure they work each and every time you put them in. If the games you send them don't work every time you face the chance of having a problem. NES systems suck. We haven't sold them at our stores for years. It was a nightmare. If it doesn't work 100% each and every time the customer wants to bring it back.

So if you lost money and the customer pays for return shipping why not go for it? Now you got a second chance to resell it and make a profit.

Adam

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yea just from reading it, it looked like the guy was trying to be polite. as a good selling technique, you dont ever want to show any type of anger towards them. makes for a smoother transaction. just have to take ur losses. just tryin to give some advise.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Um...

This has a brand new 72 pin connector from nintendo of america,I cleaned all the games to working condition which took hours.Please understand,this was not some lie I told to hustle money out of someone,I make enough as a cellphone game tester anyway.

I can see giving more advice can help,I don't think it's the case here.I'm marking all my bundles FRAGILE FRAGILE in crazy colors now too.You have to understand I am not just another seller either,please don't talk about this like I'm a wal-mart.I am just some dude who lives off bacon wrapped hot dogs,driving to thrift stores to get nintendos.I'm trying to spread the use of the classic NES in the active game scene,this isn't for money.

Ebay Feedback : http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAP...=nintendocholo

Completed Deals : DreamTR

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

sounds like the smartest idea would be to give that guy a refund and resell your bundle later on.
    Even if I go to hell, I will live to the end of this world. And if the world does not come to an end... I will destroy it with my own hands!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

On the flip side, the person that Nintendocholo sold the items to stated in his email to him that "the cables he provded did not work". The buyer obviously did not have AV cable attachments to his TV, that's point 1. Second point, is that it does not matter even if you HAVE a 72 PIN connector that is new, NES front loading systems will not work on the first, second, or even third try. The best way I get them to work is to bang twice simultaneously on the sides, and they work fine. Granted, nintendocholo should not have brought up the fact that he "lost money" on the deal, but he became irate with the buyer because the buyer himself, regardless of feedback and whatever, did not read the description carefully to see what the system came with, what he needed to hook up to his TV (and remember, Nintendo started packaging systems without and RF switch starting with N64, so this is nothing new) and the fact that it's an NES. It's almost common knowledge that these systems will not work on the first try. Just my two cent, seller should not have said he lost money, but buyer should not have brought up two points that HE screwed up on with failure to read in the description. It even said AS-IS in the auction.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sure, I understand how you feel. But I dont think he ment to be rude. Bad trades are allways boring If I was you I would get him to send it back, as mentioned earlier.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Um...

Quote Originally Posted by NintendoCholo
    I make enough as a cellphone game tester anyway.
    ... I'm trying to spread the use of the classic NES in the active game scene,this isn't for money.
    So what's the problem? If it's not for the money, take the returns, refund the money and sell the games on again to someone else. Mission accomplished.

If it's not "for money" that you're doing this then I completely fail to see the problem.

Vroomfunkel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

You have to understand I am not just another seller either,please don't talk about this like I'm a wal-mart.
    The bigest problem is your faliure to understand where the non-collector customer is coming from. Like it or not they think that eBay IS Walmart. Anytime you sell something that doesn't work 100% of the time on the first try you have the potential for a complaint. Don't take it personal.

This is in part ebay's fault. Why is the bidder called a buyer? He is NOT a buyer and this is NOT a sale. He is a bidder and this is an auction. The true spirit of an auction is "come and git it" ,buyer beware, items sold as is unless stated otherwise and no returns. If anyone has ever been to a "real" auction then you know what I am talking about.

Still this doesn't sound like a big deal at all. He won't leave you a neg and you got the money. Move on. I wouldn't give it a second thought.

Adam

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

You may want to add a disclaimer to your future auctions. Something along the lines of, "Even though I have tested these items to the best of my ability, this is old electronic equipment that is being sold as-is."

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I personally would have apologized, taken the persons offer to pay the return shipping, and re-sold the item. In fact, I probably would have offered to refund the return shipping.

I hope it works out in the end for both of you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

sorry if it i sounded like i was attacking you. im just saying when dealing with people, its better to let them think they have the upper hand. that way when they leave feedback all they will do is give neutral since u were polite and took it back. i should of worded myself better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sorry but I agree with the buyer. It doesn't matter if you took a loss on the deal or not, if he bought your item and it wasn't as advertised (missing parts) or didn't work when you advertised that it did then you owe it to him to take care of it. You can disagree with me if you want but if you continue to ignore your customer like that when they have problems then you'll pick up a few negatives in a hurry.

BTW, if you want our opinions on matters like this it's always best to provide a link to the auction in question.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    tholly1983
    PSN
    tholly

i see problems on both sides of this

on your side....if you want a certain $ amount, put a reserve on your auctions...if not, you sell them at the cost they end at and don't complain

on the bidders side....composite cables work on most tvs and with that cable, the nes system will work....its not that the cable doesnt work, its the fact that he didnt bother to read the description and doesnt have a tv new enough to hook up a working system too

as for people statements....sure, collectors know that NES systems are pains to get to work and often requires multiple tries....ebay bidders may not know this and its NOT common knowledge, so you cant blame the bidder for that....that is a fact that the seller needs to put in all auctions to cover his ass, so to speak
    Collection Pics--RFGen List--Excel Collection Spreadsheet
    Wii: 6005 4631 6751 2174 -- PS3: tholly -- X360: tholly1983

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DreamTR
    On the flip side, the person that Nintendocholo sold the items to stated in his email to him that "the cables he provded did not work". The buyer obviously did not have AV cable attachments to his TV, that's point 1. Second point, is that it does not matter even if you HAVE a 72 PIN connector that is new, NES front loading systems will not work on the first, second, or even third try. The best way I get them to work is to bang twice simultaneously on the sides, and they work fine. Granted, nintendocholo should not have brought up the fact that he "lost money" on the deal, but he became irate with the buyer because the buyer himself, regardless of feedback and whatever, did not read the description carefully to see what the system came with, what he needed to hook up to his TV (and remember, Nintendo started packaging systems without and RF switch starting with N64, so this is nothing new) and the fact that it's an NES. It's almost common knowledge that these systems will not work on the first try. Just my two cent, seller should not have said he lost money, but buyer should not have brought up two points that HE screwed up on with failure to read in the description. It even said AS-IS in the auction.
    Amen.

This problem Nintendo is having is the exact reason I have 1 neg on my E-Bay feedback. Although, I don't think I would have taken a negative tone in my first e-mail. Maybe wait untill my third.

Some kid swept up in the retro craze bought an NES from me. I buy and sell stuff all the time. Never had a problem. Everything is cleaned, tested, etc. Kid can't get it to work. He says "You know, in my ps2 the games work on the first try" Leaves me a neg. He gets the NES to work later on (surprise, surprise) says he revoke negative. Never did.