Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What the hell version of Lunar would be best for me?

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

Default What the hell version of Lunar would be best for me?

I'm considering playing through the Lunar games. However, there are like 50 different versions of them to choose from. Could someone please give a fairly-detailed rundown of the differences between them, or maybe tell me which would best fit these criteria:

Would prefer to play it on a sega system, but not totally important.
    An option for Japanese voices would be nice.
    Are the cutscenes particularily better in a specific version?
    Most importantly, I would like to experience as much of the game as possible on one runthrough, so if there are extra parts to one of them that would be a heavy slant in it's favor...

And also, I assume the proper order is Silver Star -> Eternal Blue? And where exactly does the GBA game fit into this?

Sorry if this thread exists, I searched, but didn't see anything. Also sorry if I sound too demanding here, but I'd like to hear your guys opinons on the subject.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DrWily008
    PSN
    DrWily008

The Gameboy ADV. version of the game is esentially a easier version of Silver Star Story. Start with Lunar: Silver Star Story for Sega CD the story is better in parts and you cant avoid the battles (PS ver. you see the enemies prior to fighting). Then play Lunar 2 : Eternal Blue for Sega CD like 1 month later so the story is familiar but not completely memorized. It is SO great of a game and has direct story references to Silver Star Story.

Q: Would prefer to play it on a sega system, but not totally important.
    A: SEGA CD is great, Saturn is in all japanese (i.e. never translated)

Q: An option for Japanese voices would be nice.
    A: None to my knowledge exists, but the voices on both are above par for U.S. voice acting. Of course if you wanted to play in ALL japanese you could pick up the Saturn versions.

Q: Are the cutscenes particularily better in a specific version?
    A: Yes, the cutscenes on the PSOne version are better (except for one, but if I told you it would ruin the story . )

Q: Most importantly, I would like to experience as much of the game as possible on one runthrough, so if there are extra parts to one of them that would be a heavy slant in it's favor...
    A: Lunar 2 has a second ending which can take a few more hours to complete on ALL versions of Lunar 2: EB.

I hope this helps your process of elimination a little more. One more thing some of the story (minor) is changed in the rereleases (on SATURN & PS1) so if you are a purist, probably lean towards Sega CD versions. These 2 games are on my top 10 of ALL time so I hope you enjoy whichever version you get (they are all epic games).

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Would prefer to play it on a sega system, but not totally important.
    An option for Japanese voices would be nice.
    Are the cutscenes particularily better in a specific version?
    Most importantly, I would like to experience as much of the game as possible on one runthrough, so if there are extra parts to one of them that would be a heavy slant in it's favor...
    I'd honestly go with the PS version. It's called "Complete" for a reason. Essentially, it's a re-telling of the same story as on the Sega CD, which is the original. Adds new characters, better graphics. If I'm remembering, neither has an option for Japanese voices, could be wrong though. Cutscenes are worlds ahead in the PS version, and they added a bunch of little odds and ends.

You are correct. Silver Star Story comes before Eternal Blue. Both are good games.

The GBA version is a cheap cash in, as usual.
    I am the reinforcements.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Actually, I enjoyed the GBA port. It's just a remix of Silver Star, and once you get around the cheap translation it's a damn fun game. Music and cut scenes are wonderfull looking for the GBA (even new cutscenes) and the gameplay is classic Lunar.

But yeah, I'd start with Silver Star for the PSX, then Eternal Blue, and then Silver Star for the GBA.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

I'd go with the PSX versions, although there's nothing wrong with the originals. Just the PSX games have better looking cutscenes, capital and lower case fonts (:P), and I believe they had annoying random battles on the world map, and again I think a lack of a dash button.

The GBA version is the prettiest but horribly translated. Steer clear. The charm of Lunar is the believable relationship between it's characters. The GBA version completely trashes that illusion.

If you have to play it, as SoulBlazer suggested, play it last. And don't pay a whole lot for it.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Go with the PSX versions, if you can find the Sega CD games, get them too.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default SSSC

The PSX versions are the best. Stick with those. Also, if you happen to come across the Men's spa in SSSC, make sure not to use the soap (minus a rope) You'd be better off

Even if you are a female. EVEN!!!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

go with the psx versions and then if you really like the games, go buy the sega cd games after you are done with the psx versions and play through them.
    Even if I go to hell, I will live to the end of this world. And if the world does not come to an end... I will destroy it with my own hands!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I never played any Lunar games, but probably will now ater this thread... heh - I actualled managed to pick up the first one(complete) for the Sega-CD at a Flear Market for 5 bucks last summer. Never did get around to even popping it in, and it ended up lost in the shuffle.

hope this helps your process of elimination a little more. One more thing some of the story (minor) is changed in the rereleases (on SATURN & PS1) so if you are a purist, probably lean towards Sega CD versions.
    This has me leaning more towards the Sega CD version. Not sure what was changed, but whenever i hear something like this i always fear the worst.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by Mangar
    I never played any Lunar games, but probably will now ater this thread... heh - I actualled managed to pick up the first one(complete) for the Sega-CD at a Flear Market for 5 bucks last summer. Never did get around to even popping it in, and it ended up lost in the shuffle.

hope this helps your process of elimination a little more. One more thing some of the story (minor) is changed in the rereleases (on SATURN & PS1) so if you are a purist, probably lean towards Sega CD versions.
    This has me leaning more towards the Sega CD version. Not sure what was changed, but whenever i hear something like this i always fear the worst.
    Actually... it's for the better- I think anyway. In the Sega CD version Luna leaves your party as soon as you get on the boat towards the begining of the game, and she doesn't reapear until towards the end. In the the PSX version she starts to stay behind, changes her mind last minute and makes a runing jump to catch Alex's hand and be pulled aboard. So she ends up saying with your party longer, you get to know her better, her relationship with Alex is fleshed out more AND they added a new cutscene.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daria
    Actually... it's for the better- I think anyway. In the Sega CD version Luna leaves your party as soon as you get on the boat towards the begining of the game, and she doesn't reapear until towards the end. In the the PSX version she starts to stay behind, changes her mind last minute and makes a runing jump to catch Alex's hand and be pulled aboard. So she ends up saying with your party longer, you get to know her better, her relationship with Alex is fleshed out more AND they added a new cutscene.
    God, I love that game. I've only played the PSX version but it is my favorite ending in a video game of all time. Just so solid! I say go with the PSX version as well, if just for the scene Daria mentioned.
    -Mark

Wanted: Activision Patches - PM me.
    Wanted: Popful Mail Case/Manual - PM me.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BigPapaHusker
    PSN
    BigPapaHusker

I just got done playing Lunar 2, the epilogue as well, and I havent played SSS. I would have to say that Lunar 2 is THE best RPG I have ever played... better than any FF, better than CT (a close second).

Now that I have SSS (just got it recently) I might want to go back and play it, but I basically knows what happens because of the info in EB. Is it worth it to go back and play through SSS?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa Husker
    I just got done playing Lunar 2, the epilogue as well, and I havent played SSS. I would have to say that Lunar 2 is THE best RPG I have ever played... better than any FF, better than CT (a close second).

Now that I have SSS (just got it recently) I might want to go back and play it, but I basically knows what happens because of the info in EB. Is it worth it to go back and play through SSS?
    YES. See above post.
    -Mark

Wanted: Activision Patches - PM me.
    Wanted: Popful Mail Case/Manual - PM me.

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

How long are these games generally? At this rate I'm considering playing both sega cd and PSX...

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Biafra Riot

The back of the Lunar Legend GBA box says that has "new quests" for the GBA version. Are the really worth it to play through it again after I allready completed Lunar: SSSC?

ServBot (Level 11) Lemmy Kilmister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Having never actually played the original version of Eternal Blue I couldn't say for sure, but I have heard that the sega cd version has better dungeons and was semi harder then the PSX remake. Also, I don't see why you would but if you do decide to import a version of Lunar, you sould go with the saturn MPEG Card Version with I hear has the better CG then the PSX version of the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DrWily008
    PSN
    DrWily008

Quote Originally Posted by Bluteg
    The back of the Lunar Legend GBA box says that has "new quests" for the GBA version. Are the really worth it to play through it again after I allready completed Lunar: SSSC?
    Yeah, it's great but play it a few months to a year after playing the originals (I'm not sure how long ago you played them). It really is one of the best games on the GBA, I used to sell it all the time to kids and teens looking for something now that they were out of Pokemon and Yu Gi Oh and looking for a real RPG to play. Tell you what more of those kids would come back for more RPG goodness after beating it. That game and the fact that I am the MASTER at it helped me turn many a youg lad & lass into RPG fans!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Play the PSX versions, silver star then eternal blue. The real question is whether or not you will wear the medalion/neclace that these come with.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, one of the major reasons Game Arts went back and changed much of the ending to the first Lunar was to fix a glaring geographical error (and a kind of plot hole) in Eternal Blue

...I'm not going to explain it here because it ruins much of the plots of both games, but if anyone really wants to know, you can PM me.

As far as the best versions of the games, that's a toughie. The PSX versions are probably the best overall, but the SegaCD ones are definately worth a playthru too - especially to see the revamps made to the first game. The basic plot is much the same, but I'd say about 50% of the PSX game is new or changed from the SegaCD one.

PLUS THEY ELIMINATED THE VERY ANNOYING USE OF ALL CAPITAL LETTERS THRU THE ENTIRE GAME.

Join the Konami All Stars and get FREE stuff!

Visit the Prototype Archive - System Failure - A really old backup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I thought I'd bump this old thread because I have a similar question.

I'm interested in getting into the Lunar games (I've never played any of them and know little about them, aside from the fact that they're supposed to be good), and am curious as to where to start and what I need to know about the series. It seems like the general concensus is that the PS1 versions are better, but there are two things that make me hesitate to buy those versions--one is that I tend to like lower-fi versions of games better (so if the same game is released across two generations of systems I tend to like the older generation system's version better), and two is that as far as the system as a whole goes, I'm much more affectionate for my Sega CD than my Playstation. But still, there are times when it is definitely worth it to get the updated versions of games--I can't imagine playing the original Final Fantasy on the NES now that the GBA and PS1 versions have smoothed out so many things that were annoying in the originals. So, with that information in mind, do you guys think that I should get the Sega CD versions or the PS1 versions?

Also, are Silver Star Saga and Eternal Blue the only games in the series, or are there other ones on different platforms?
    Feedback thread here