Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PS2: Analog stick...how good are you?

Great Puma (Level 12) DeputyMoniker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

Default PS2: Analog stick...how good are you?

I've started to notice that I'm not very good at using the analog stick. When I'm playing a driving game, I either go extreme left or extreme right. If it's a long and wide turn I *tap* *tap* *tap* instead of just slightly move the stick. Does anybody else have that problem or do I just need to practice up?

Walking with it is no problem but I have some trouble with aiming in a FPS. Driving in any Ridge racer or Gran Turismo is the most noticable. *tap* *tap* *tap* *tap* *tap* *tap* *tap* *tap* *tap*

Click here to view my collection.
    DP FFXIV Username & Server List.

PSN, Switch, U, Steam, and Twitch: tellUwut

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

I find the dual shock analog stick to be slightly better than the Xbox pad, but woeful compared to the Cube stick. Cube stick rocks. I can't play FPS on the dual shock but I can on the Xbox pad. Which is strange because I find it hard to play anything bar FPS or racing games on the Xbox pad. And I can't do either properly on the dual shock!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I often just use digital control and do the 'tap tap' thing anyway... it actually gives you better control for some racing games / cars in racing games where oversteering is a problem. Try a car that tends to understeer and I doubt you'll need it as much.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: PS2: Analog stick...how good are you?

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMoniker
    I've started to notice that I'm not very good at using the analog stick. When I'm playing a driving game, I either go extreme left or extreme right. If it's a long and wide turn I *tap* *tap* *tap* instead of just slightly move the stick. Does anybody else have that problem or do I just need to practice up?
    The problem is that it's tough to make sharp, strategic movements that are only a few mm. If you need practice, pick a track with as few turns as possible (Motegi Super Speedway is a good option if it's in your game), and just work on moving the car slightly left and right, like you're changing lanes. Super Monkey Ball also helps you to learn to make love to the analog stick properly, so there's another option.

But what I'd really recommend is getting a good Logitech force feedback wheel. The Driving Force makes it SO much easier to control the vehicle it's not even funny. And for PS1 games, use Namco's neGcon, because it's got to be just about the best handheld racing controller ever made. And if the game you're playing doesn't support either of those controller options, then it's clearly not worth your time. ;-)

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I find that my thumbs tend to slip off the analog pads. This is a problem when I have to hold the pad in a certain direction continuously...my thumb slides off and I have to reset my grip.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah I also do the taping thing. Just a habit and it works so why bother changing?
    (Oo (xxx) oO) (Oo (xxx) oO)
    .o xxxxxxxx o . o xxxxxxxx o

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can't stand the DS for FPS, they feel way too sensitive and I have a hard time getting pinpoint accuratecy, and I have a hard time steering in driving sims like GT, but I do fine with arcade racers like NFS.

The Xbox and GC pads are the best for FPS IMO. Because the sticks are furthur apart and angled differently it feels more natural, though for FPS nothing beats a mouse and keypad.

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

Yeah, the sticks are way too slippery and whatnot. I'd be able to play Gitaroo Man if I could operate a dualshock properly. I should look into a third party controller maybe.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not very. I, too, think that it's too slippery, and it's just kindof hard to control compared to my Xbox and GC's controllers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonic R 0
    PSN
    SONICr

I hate analog! I never liked it but in some games it is required like Katimari, GTA:SA. I was worried at first I would have to use it for GT4 but I can use digital. I tap in that game like a typewriter I always prefer digital over analog UNLESS there is no other choice then I just work with it the best I can. Not gonna hate a good game just because its analog only.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the PS dual shock analog sticks were an afterthought in the control design. they were just added in a few years after the original, and yet casual gamers eat it up thinking they are gold.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    tholly1983
    PSN
    tholly

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Ice
    I find that my thumbs tend to slip off the analog pads. This is a problem when I have to hold the pad in a certain direction continuously...my thumb slides off and I have to reset my grip.
    same here....they need a little indent in the top like the Xbox controller, or they need a different type of material that is a non-slip covering on the stick
    Collection Pics--RFGen List--Excel Collection Spreadsheet
    Wii: 6005 4631 6751 2174 -- PS3: tholly -- X360: tholly1983

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey, if you guys think the Dual Shock sticks are bad, try the Dreamcast stick. Your finger will slip off that thing like a cat landing on butter.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by it290
    Hey, if you guys think the Dual Shock sticks are bad, try the Dreamcast stick. Your finger will slip off that thing like a cat landing on butter.
    That's the controller that trained me to get good with analog pads. Specifically, the little port of Hang-On is impossible if you don't have a good grasp on those things. You have to make very subtle movements to keep from flying off the track. After you get good with that, you can play just about anything reasonably well with an analog stick.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    tholly1983
    PSN
    tholly

i didnt think it was as bad....but i guess thats just me
    Collection Pics--RFGen List--Excel Collection Spreadsheet
    Wii: 6005 4631 6751 2174 -- PS3: tholly -- X360: tholly1983

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't have any problems with the DC stick. But I know what you mean, I HAVE done that before. It's just that I'm used to it now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know about your problems with the DC stick but for me the little nubs grip my thumb perfectly. Even my wore out old controller still grips even though the nubs are almost gone.
    (Oo (xxx) oO) (Oo (xxx) oO)
    .o xxxxxxxx o . o xxxxxxxx o

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For normal gameplay, perhaps, but try keeping that grip when your thumb starts sweating!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My problem is less the responsiveness of the analog stick and much more that sticks are require my thumbs to be in a less ergonomic (when compared to game cube xbox) position-pointed more toward each other rather out and toward my index fingures--consequently my thumb movements are less accurate. I don't think my problem with the dual shock lies in the hardware itself but in the industrial design of it.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have NEVER seen any gamer that continuously "leans" the thumbstick in a racing game. That's......weird....and almost impossible to do successfully 100% of the time unless you have perfect perceived depth perception.

I found that the best way to take continuous curves IS to drive it using a series of motions instead of one long "lean". That way your thumbs don't fall off of the edge of the stick.

Have you ever noticed that you can turn sharper with the D-pad than with the stick? Try it sometime. The "throw" is different. You can also turn MUCH faster lap times and make faster curves in first person than third person views. If you normally play in third person and are having trouble winning a race.....switch to first person and you'll most likely win.