Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DS Library

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default DS Library

Well, I bought a DS at release. I must say its an incredible piece of hardware. It works perfectly with Mario64 DS and the mini-games are great. Its also the best way to play GBA games IMO, (I hate the SPs form factor).

Now, all this power and so far every other game has been lame. There is nothing to buy and the PSP is already rolling. I know Mario Kart and the new Castlevania are comming out soon, but I think the Castlevania will be out a YEAR after the DS release date. So my question is, when are they going to make use of such a great platform? And are the rumors of PDA software true? What can I do and what should I look forward to in the future? I've seen the release lists for the rest of the year and I'm not completly impressed. If Goldeneye: Rogue Agent is going to be a GCN port its going to suck hardcore too, grrrrr.

So far what I see is a great piece of hardware that had almost zero hype/advertising to begin with and seemingly little development support. Is it the Dreamcast all over again? Atleast I have a first class GBA game player.
    (Sony fanboys need not reply )
    Run, run, or you'll be well done! -Kefka

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Hmmm... lame? Catch Touch Yoshi, Wario Ware, Feel the Magic, Polarium (coming to the US shop in 2 weeks time), Zoo Keeper for starters.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

MR. Driller!!!!!!

Crack in DS form it is.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This conversation has been had before - but I do agree. the DS library is meager at best. There are some fun games, but other than Mario 64, there's nothing with any true depth. Yoshi Touch&Go is a lot of fun - and it's the best that the DS has to offer IMHO, But Yoshi is easily trumped by many of the releases on Sony's handheld.

I feel that both systems were a little rushed out the gates, the DS more so than the PSP, but they were both released prematurely from a standpoint of manufacturing and game library - The DS has very few games/the psp has more, but there won't be any new titles for a while now.

Theres so many great possibilities that can become real with the current state of hardware and gaming. The only thing that sucks about it is that developers costs and production time can't move quick enough to keep up with our thirst for games. If you are a multiplatform gamer, then you'll be fine. I still have Metroid Prime 2 & MGS3 to get through after I finish RE4. There are plenty of games to play - but for that guy that spent his 'game budget' on a DS in hopes of a great experience - it's going to be a little bit more of a wait before he/she get's the gratification that's due to them.

If MarioKart DS is not online, and I mean in the infratstructure way of being online (it should be Ad Hoc too) - but if Mario Kart DS is not really online, then I'm going to jump the [nintendo fandom] ship altogether.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for proving my point =P . I haven't tried Yoshi's yet, but I'm going to. However I hear its just a gimmicky game like Wario and Feel the Magic, which I am not interested in even the least little bit. I want Goldeneye, platformers, Metroids, Zeldas, Castlevanias, not farming, car driving, and blowing on my DS to watch a sailboat move.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Good news then. Zelda Four Swords was announced for a DS release. Wonder if it's a port or a new entry to the series?

And "feel the Magic" is easily hands down the best title the DS has to offer at the moment, it's in no way "gimmicky", it's just fun to play and completely offbeat, but if you aren't going for the whole stylus gameplay, why on earth did you buy the system? Sounds like a PSP would have been more your thing.

Regarding Touch and Go... not to threadjack, but can anyone tell me if there's more to the game then the two levels and the different modes of playing them? One down scrolling, the other side scrolling. My boyfriend just picked up a DS this weekend, and while he loves the game so far it seems like a $30 mini game. Which is well... bit of a rip off. Or is he just compleatly over looking something?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PapaStu
    Crack in DS form it is
    You talk like the man in my avatar.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daria
    Regarding Touch and Go... not to threadjack, but can anyone tell me if there's more to the game then the two levels and the different modes of playing them? One down scrolling, the other side scrolling. My boyfriend just picked up a DS this weekend, and while he loves the game so far it seems like a $30 mini game. Which is well... bit of a rip off. Or is he just compleatly over looking something?
    Nope, he's not overlooking anything. It's a very shallow game.

-- Z.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by zmweasel
    Quote Originally Posted by Daria
    Nope, he's not overlooking anything. It's a very shallow game.

-- Z.
    What the fuck? That should have been the system pack in. Not the Metroid demo. Or fuck it both. >.<

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

Import Daigasso! Band Brothers. (it's supposed to come out here as Jam with the Band, but who knows when that will be, and the songlist would definitely change anyway).

It's DDR for the fingers, a portable Frequency/Amplitude-style of game. In other words, if Bemani games are your thing, and you have a DS, Daigasso is for you.

Edit: Here are some screenshots of the game:

As you can see, the game's look is anything but kiddie. In fact, Barbara the Bat (the girl mascot of the game) could very well become the Nintendo DS mascot (you know, the whole "targeting an older audience" thing)...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm sorry to all the nintendo fan boys out there but the amount of games thats out for the DS right now sucks! Mario and Wario touched are the only games worth playing and for $150.00 it's just not worth it.

And as for it's using it to play GBA games, that's what my Gamecube is for.
    This is my BOOM STICK !!!!

hail to the king baby!!

my collection: http://videogamecollectors.com/galle...r-Room-of-Doom

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would never buy a system just cause it has a touchpad, that just doesn't make sense. I didn't buy my PDA just cause it had a touch screen, it was for the software and portability. In my opinion the touch screen is a conversion of a joystick from 3D to 2D. I don't want them to treat the system like it centers around some pad. I want it centered around good games using the pad well. That said I've also had a ton of fun with stylus games on Mario64. I've played Feel The Magic and didn't like it, there is no way I"d even spend $5 on it. I work for my money and I only buy games I have fun playing, so I'm a very picky person. Besides, I'm over with puberty, I can do without Feel the Magic or a DDR. As for the PSP, thats right out IMO, I hate Sony's library for the most part.
    However, if it only turns out to be a glorified GBA platform I'm ok with that too, I still think it was worth the money for that and the games I have now.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stevec1636
    And as for it's using it to play GBA games, that's what my Gamecube is for.
    agrees
    *puts gamecube plus gameboyplayer plus TV plus generator plus can of diesel in his pocket´and walks away* x_x

@ topiccreator
    There's a great thread with all the awesome upcoming DS games somewhere but I couldn't find it...oh well

anyways...
    Alone "MarioKart DS" and (especialy) "Castlevania DS"(you should REALLY watch this video!2D goodness in perfection) justify the purchase of a DS.
    Don't forget the upcoming Zelda and "Nintendogs"( ) too!

Oh
    How could I forget "Lost in Blue" (Video)

and I hoping too that the PDA software rumor is true.
    How is it called? I guess it was "V-Pocket"

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

PDA feature should have been built in from the get go - there's no way that I'm buying a PDA program for my game system.

That's like Nintendo saying that Pictochat is a game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by Avatard
    I don't want them to treat the system like it centers around some pad.
    ... but it does. Well that and the wireless multiplayer. O.o

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    GameOverRG

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Jaye
    Import Daigasso! Band Brothers. (it's supposed to come out here as Jam with the Band, but who knows when that will be, and the songlist would definitely change anyway).

It's DDR for the fingers, a portable Frequency/Amplitude-style of game. In other words, if Bemani games are your thing, and you have a DS, Daigasso is for you.

Edit: Here are some screenshots of the game:

As you can see, the game's look is anything but kiddie. In fact, Barbara the Bat (the girl mascot of the game) could very well become the Nintendo DS (you know, the whole "targeting an older audience" thing)...
    This is soooooo mine when it coes out.

I would LOVE to see DDR on the ds .

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

You could do what I'm doing and just wait. I'm a big Nintendo fan, but I still don't own a DS. I usually don't buy systems at launch anyway; I prefer to wait a year or so for the chance of a price drop and for the library to build up.

I say, if you're not happy with what the DS has to offer, just don't buy one. Wait until the end of the year, when we'll really start seeing some games that really push the DS's features, as well as new system colors. I honestly think that the best games for this system, aren't going to be the platformers or as Avatard put it, "Metroids, Zeldas, Castlevanias and Goldeneyes", but rather games that are specifically designed for use with the unique features. Another Code is a game that's actually captured my attention more than anything else so far, and if Animal Crossing DS is pulled off right with the WIFI connection, it could be even bigger and better than the original.
    I think the DS is really an experiemental system... to see what kind of weird things developers will come up with when they've got all these input options at their disposal (microphone, touch screen, buttons), but sadly most are just making GBA "PLUS" games that hardly utilize them. Of course, Nintendo's not innocent from this either... I'd rather have a new Mario game than a port of the 64 title. In fact, for all the effort they put into extra areas and characters and minigames for Mario 64 DS, why didn't they just go ahead and make a brand new game using the engine?

I will agree that Nintendo REALLY should've delayed the DS until perhaps this summer, when more games would be available. But honestly, it's a lose-lose situation no matter what... either launch before the PSP with few games, or launch later with more games, but already overshadowed by the PSP's pretty looks.

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

http://media.ds.ign.com/media/682/68..._01_wmvlow.wmv

may take awhile to load but worth it
    if you can read this congratulations!! you can read

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well I already own one, so waiting doesn't matter. And as for ports I'd be thrilled for the market to be flooded by n64 ports. Its not like it takes much work and they coudl still put out the new games. Look at how they are porting NES to GBA, and you don't see any decrease in the number of GBA games being released.

Now as for the touch screen, I'm loving it, don't get me wrong. In fact I'd love to see some kooky fun games that I like, as in games that meet my tastes(opinion). Mario Paint comes to mind, that would really rock. But the current games just don't do it for me. Plus I think a DDR on DS would be a sign of the apocolypse, who the hell is going to step all over their DS? Because pressing "up" "down" "up" "down" "right" all day to music is not my idea of fun. And buying retro arcade carts? Forget it, I own all the originals already. And the Sims, don't get me started on that one.

I guess I'll just look at a thing in a bag or play more mario mini games untill some good ones come out.

Hmm, maybe a DDR on the DS would be sweet, I'd so play it in public if I could stomp on it over and over and have people staring.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Avatard
    Plus I think a DDR on DS would be a sign of the apocolypse, who the hell is going to step all over their DS? Because pressing "up" "down" "up" "down" "right" all day to music is not my idea of fun.
    I enjoyed the DDR-type minigame in the GBA version of Donkey Kong Country. It's fun just trying to beat your high score...

So in my opinion, a DDR game on the DS would be cool (not that I own a DS anymore, though ).