Thread: DS Library

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sylentwulf
    Quote Originally Posted by zmweasel
    But every DS game *does* have to use it--else, why have it in the first place? Nintendo has to justify that touch-screen's existence.
    If you're serious, that's like saying every PS2 game needs to use the R3 and L3 button, else why have it? Hell, most games don't even use the right analog stick at all, and it still serves it's purpose fine.
    The L3 and R3 buttons aren't the Dual Shock 2's primary controls, nor are they used as a hardware selling point, nor are they touted as a "revolutionary" way to control games. The DS is built around its dual screens and touch-screen; the Dual Shock 2 isn't built around the L3 and R3 buttons.

A fairer comparison would be to the DS's built-in microphone. Like the L3 and R3 buttons, it's a secondary control option, not a central aspect of the hardware.

Again, if DS games don't use the second/touch-screen, there's no point in having that second screen to begin with. If you're going to develop a game that doesn't use the touch-screen, you might as well develop it for the PSP, which has superior hardware and superior controls for conventional (analog/D-pad) games.

-- Z.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

If you're serious, that's like saying every PS2 game needs to use the R3 and L3 button, else why have it? Hell, most games don't even use the right analog stick at all, and it still serves it's purpose fine.
    The L3 and R3 buttons aren't the Dual Shock 2's primary controls, nor are they used as a hardware selling point, nor are they touted as a "revolutionary" way to control games. The DS is built around its dual screens and touch-screen; the Dual Shock 2 isn't built around the L3 and R3 buttons.

A fairer comparison would be to the DS's built-in microphone. Like the L3 and R3 buttons, it's a secondary control option, not a central aspect of the hardware.

Again, if DS games don't use the second/touch-screen, there's no point in having that second screen to begin with. If you're going to develop a game that doesn't use the touch-screen, you might as well develop it for the PSP, which has superior hardware and superior controls for conventional (analog/D-pad) games.

-- Z.
    I completely agree. The whole ad campaign around the DS was built around the touch screen--can you imagine a Sony ad campaign around R3 and L3?

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, I really didn't think you were serious heh. I never interpreted the touch screen as being anything more than a nifty feature/gimmick.
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Wow, I really didn't think you were serious heh. I never interpreted the touch screen as being anything more than a nifty feature/gimmick.
    It's only a gimmick if the games aren't developed to use it properly. Like the GBA to GC connection was a "gimmick" until Four Swords tooks proper advatage of it.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Back on my frist post when I said "Sony fanboys need not post" you were the one I was talking about zmweasle. You're a little too biased for me.

Superior hardware means squat, its all about the games. Nintendo has the games I like, Sony does not. However I think Nintendo is making HUGE mistakes as you do, the DS shoulda been an IP device, Sony made the PSP an IP device, kudos to them. Nintendo really needs to get down off of its high horse and make what we want.

However what you said about Castlevania does sound pretty lame, do you really have to draw seals to defeat bosses? I personally view the touchscreen as nothing more than a 2D joystick as noted before, thats how I play my games. I wish Nintendo wouldn't focus so hard on the touch screen gimmick. If it were dual screen with no touch screen I still would have bought it, so they don't have to justify it to me. However I am not sorry I bought the DS at all, I'm loving it, but Nintendo is capable of much better. We'll have to see where they take it.
    Run, run, or you'll be well done! -Kefka

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

One thing I can ask of Namco: since the DS has two screens, would it be possible to release a no-gimmick, budget-priced port of Namco museum using the dual screens to keep the games in their original ratio? Imagine playing Pac-Man at a decent image size with no scrolling... (the extra remaining space on the card could be used to make it a true North American museum instead of the Japan-centric museum of the PS collection. Or just include more games (ie. most Pac-Man games, plus Galaga, Galaxian, Pole Position 1 and 2, etc.).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's what the PSP is for. I don't think I could stand the bar down the middle. Frankly, if the screen were all one vertical screen, I'd kill for a good game of Tetris played at the aspect ratio it was meant to be played in.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Jaye
    One thing I can ask of Namco: since the DS has two screens, would it be possible to release a no-gimmick, budget-priced port of Namco museum using the dual screens to keep the games in their original ratio? Imagine playing Pac-Man at a decent image size with no scrolling... (the extra remaining space on the card could be used to make it a true North American museum instead of the Japan-centric museum of the PS collection. Or just include more games (ie. most Pac-Man games, plus Galaga, Galaxian, Pole Position 1 and 2, etc.).
    You've seen screens of PSP Namco Museum, right? It has a cocktail mode in which you rotate the PSP for vertical play. No aspect-ratio tweaking required. (The PSP has enough vertical resolution--272 pixels--so that aspect-tweaking is very mild without using the cocktail display.)

-- Z.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't have a ds yet though i've played it and I think it's a nice system. I havn't got one yet because Mario and Mr. Driller are the only games out that interest me. However I plan on buying one in August when Metroid and Castlevania are coming out(i would buy just about anything if there's a castlevania for it) For now i'm very satisfied with my psp and gba.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

You've seen screens of PSP Namco Museum, right? It has a cocktail mode in which you rotate the PSP for vertical play. No aspect-ratio tweaking required. (The PSP has enough vertical resolution--272 pixels--so that aspect-tweaking is very mild without using the cocktail display.)

-- Z.
    Oh. Thanks for the info, Zach. I didn't know that Namco Museum was actually coming out for the PSP with a vertical switch. One day...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Check out some of the videos of Namco Museum PSP in action, it kicks ass. Why can't it come to the US sooner? If at all.

They're on GameSpot.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yea, scrolling pac-man is the crime of the century, or last century, whatever. Like that horrific sega genisis 2p pacman game. ARGH.

Pac-man Vs. however is good enough to warrant buying an older GBA and connector cord just for that. I don't even own a GCN and yet I own Pac-man Vs. and a connector cable.
    Run, run, or you'll be well done! -Kefka

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Avatard
    Pac-man Vs. however is good enough to warrant buying an older GBA and connector cord just for that. I don't even own a GCN and yet I own Pac-man Vs. and a connector cable.
    I agree, Pac-Man vs is one of the coolest games ever. I have a sweet spot for Pac since it's the first game I ever played, and being able to play with 3 other people was a dream. It's too bad that the game didn't have just a little bit more depth though (adjustable highscore goals, etc) rather than having to conform to the pre-set goals.

One thing I can ask of Namco: since the DS has two screens, would it be possible to release a no-gimmick, budget-priced port of Namco museum using the dual screens to keep the games in their original ratio? Imagine playing Pac-Man at a decent image size with no scrolling....
    YEAH! And they could make a Pac-Man museum that contained a DS version of the Baby Pacman arcade game (the lower screen would be a digital version of the pinball portion of the machine, while the top would be the maze screen). Would be a very cool addition to a 'Pac-Man Museum' but would not warrant a $30+ purchase on its own.

Ooh and while I'm at it, wouldn't the PSP be perfect for Pac-Man Jr. with it's wide screen?!

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Ooh. The thought of Baby Pac on the DS is interesting, but the screen sizes are still wrong. Granted, it's been 20+ years since I played it, but I'm pretty sure you couldn't do it without scrolling or seriously shrunken playfield.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

You're right, the screen ratio isn't quite right for Baby Pac. I played 3 years ago at PhillyClassic 3, so that's how I know.