Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Default Suggest a MMORPG for Me

I'm looking for suggestions on a new online game that might hold my intrest and be worth paying for.

Currently I work second shift during the week, so I'm looking for a game that I can play for a few hours at night when I get home before I go to bed. Since my mood in playing the game may weaver, and there may be some nights I don't play (working overtime, etc.) I'd like a game that does'nt require a massive commiment from the person. I estimate my gaming time to be around 10-20 hours a week.

I'm allready playing FF XI, but I save that for the weekends when all my friends and I sign on and do our group quests.

I'd also like a game where you can do things by yourself as well as grouping with people. In other words, a game that does'nt need massive teamwork but also has things you can do with other people. I mean, the whole idea of the MMORPG is to work with other people, but there are some nights when I'd rather work solo.

I'm not much into fantasy games -- I'd love to find a space based one, but something besides Star Wars Galaxies. I would also love to play a WWII or war based game.

I've heard great things about City of Hero's, but I'm not much for superhero games. I'm also going to pass on World of Warcraft and Everquest II as I've allready tried those games.

So, any suggestions?
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

Well since you seem like you are pressed for time, you should consider progress quest. The amount of time that you play is really flexible, in that you dont have to devote too much time to it to move up levels and whatnot

www.progressquest.com

Chris

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

u should give City of Heroes a shot. i love it...plus its a little more fast paced then ur FF IX, and everquest.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

You should play the Save Your Money game, because, at one point, you needed it desperately.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd
    You should play the Save Your Money game, because, at one point, you needed it desperately.
    Agreed, if you don't have the time to invest I would just skip MMOs.
    (Oo (xxx) oO) (Oo (xxx) oO)
    .o xxxxxxxx o . o xxxxxxxx o

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Heh, I still do, but I can spare a little with the ammount coming in now. Besides, I need something to do late at night -- no one is online and it's too early to go to bed, not to mention I'm too wired from work.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SoulBlazer
    Heh, I still do, but I can spare a little with the ammount coming in now. Besides, I need something to do late at night -- no one is online and it's too early to go to bed, not to mention I'm too wired from work.
    You were just in serioiuse finacial problems correct? You should really consider saving your cash. Learn from the past, make your self a nest egg.

Oh and to go back on topic. I wouldn't bother with MMOs. Once you get into them you fall off the face of the planet for a couple of months.
    (Oo (xxx) oO) (Oo (xxx) oO)
    .o xxxxxxxx o . o xxxxxxxx o

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you don't mind a lot of fighting CoH is the perfect pick up and play game because all you do is fight, and the missions are relatively short. Also depending on your class you could be heavily solo if you wanted. The downside, nothing to do but fight. There are no items to buy/make, and literally nothing to do but fight enemies, level up, and get more powers. Now you cand get modifications for your costume, but for $15 a month it didn't seem woth it.

You might want to try Guild Wars which launches later this month. It looks pretty promising. Obviously there will be guilds, and they will also have PvP, and multiple weapins and items etc. If it offers things do do other than fighting like fishing, side quests and such I'll be picking it up.

The best part is though, no monthly fee

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

You're already paying for Final Fantasy XI... I'd uh.. you know try to find some solo activites to do in that game when your friends aren't around. Hell make another character and level him up by yourself. Seems a waste to play it only on the weekends when you're already looking for a week day actiivity.

Or you could pick up the .hack series and pretend you're online. :P

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DrWily008
    PSN
    DrWily008

I'd look into Guild Wars, it looks amazing and after the initial cost to puchase it, it's FREE which is the best price. It look incredible graphically and it is supposed to be infinite with upgrades for minimal cost. I havent played a MMORPG since Phantasy Star Online and I am highly considering this one.

Another one to consider is Ragnarok Online, old school RPG with TONS of people playing. Don't know much about it, but it looks really good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sothy

Ragnarok is online?

Flukey sent me the disc and a bunch of promo stuff from his e3 trip couple years back and the server wasnt even up.

wonder if that craps worth anything...

<@Carey85> I-75 is the second busiest freeway in the country behind I-95
    <@NE146> u r

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DrWily008
    PSN
    DrWily008

Quote Originally Posted by Sothy
    Ragnarok is online?

Flukey sent me the disc and a bunch of promo stuff from his e3 trip couple years back and the server wasnt even up.

wonder if that craps worth anything...
    I don't think it's worth anything, as the game is free. You just pay a monthly fee, hence the software is free. I want to try it out, but we'll see, I've got TOO MANY games to play as it is.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not much into fantasy games -- I'd love to find a space based one, but something besides Star Wars Galaxies. I would also love to play a WWII or war based game.
    OK. Star Wars Galaxies is out, so the only PC game left is Return to Castle Wolfenstien.

While not PERFECT argumentation, this is well-reasoned. MMORPG's take two things: time and money. While I can see where you'd want a game to take several hours of your night, those games generally tend to envelop more than that.

I'd save my money. 15 per month doesn't seem like much, but it adds up.
    I am the reinforcements.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

If your tight on cash, you could always play on a free Ultima Online or Everquest 1 server. Nowadays some of them are stable and have decent size communitys on them. We used to run a a PvP-Based EQ one ourselves, until it started to cost too much.

If you aren't liking fantasy based RPG's - You could also try this one. http://www.anarchy-online.com/free/a.../freecampaign/ - Free Anarchy Online. I've never played it, but it may be worth checking out since it's sci-fi based and free. (shrug)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jibbajaba
    Well since you seem like you are pressed for time, you should consider progress quest. The amount of time that you play is really flexible, in that you dont have to devote too much time to it to move up levels and whatnot

www.progressquest.com

Chris
    So, is Progress Quest a joke? I mean, it's just a character sheet that keeps changing, and everything happens for you... this must be some sort of satire.
    -Mark

Wanted: Activision Patches - PM me.
    Wanted: Popful Mail Case/Manual - PM me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nez
    Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd
    Agreed, if you don't have the time to invest I would just skip MMOs.
    I totally agree too... they shopuld just make the software paid for and the service free... there is only so long before a MMORPG gets boring....

Im not suprised all those hacked Ragnarok Online servers have been set up!

RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews, Community & Forum
    View my Retro Game Collection: Click here
    My Trade List: Click here
    My Want List: Click here

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I hate the idea of paying for games as a service, Guild Wars (which is free after purchase) looks great. It is being developed by a bunch of Blizzard defectors and has a great look to it.

Even if you don't like the genre try World of Warcraft, if you can stand FFXI then I see no reason why you couldn't get into WOW.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll have to second the recommendation for guild wars...I'm kind of opposed to paying for a monthly service *and* paying for the game...I don't know...it just seems a little over the top to me. I know I'll be getting it when it comes out, and a few of my friends beta tested it. It looks sweet.

Other than that...I really don't know. Most of them are pretty generic looking. I remember there was a space one a couple years ago that I thought was really awesome. It was all ship combat...I don't remember the name or what happened to it though.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DynastyLawyer
    I'd save my money. 15 per month doesn't seem like much, but it adds up.
    I used to be pretty heavily into Everquest, and my reasoning was this: I could either spend my money on several single player games(I'm on dialup, so that sort of limits my options for multiplayer), or on a single massively multiplayer online game. With math like that, I was actually saving money. Eventually I got burnt out on it though, and switched to the several single player plan. I found that taking that route was much more enjoyable, as I always had new games and experiences to keep things fresh.

I don't have that much experience with MMO's anymore, but I'd try for WoW or City of Heroes, or Guild Wars if you don't feel like doing the monthly payment thing.