Thread: Favorite Eternal Darkness hallucination (spoilers!)

Too Old for this Crap Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    QOF
    3DS Friend
    3308-4993-4867

Default Favorite Eternal Darkness hallucination (spoilers!)

I got a Gamecube as an early birthday gift and I immediately ran out and bought Eternal Darkness based on the recommendations of several board members. When I first started playing I thought, "Oh whoopie, this game is really stupid." However, once I got into the second chapter and actually started losing sanity did it become cool. Some of the hallucination effects are VERY creative, and I was wondering what some of the favorite ones are.

Now, the reason I put "spoiler" in the title is because I don't want to ruin any surprises if you haven't played it or finished it yet. I'm only on Chapter 7 right now so I'm debating about reading any responses to this post, but I at least wanted to share my favorite three that I've seen so far.

Time for a few lines of spoiler space...

My favorite three are the "volume control" (where the tv's volume seems to turn down on its own), the "To Be Continued" screen that appears after the Karim level, and the "gah!" moment that occurs after looking in the bathtub. I know there's a bazillion more, but these are my favorites so far.

Kristine
    "I am way too lesbian for that shit."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Achika

The volume & mute functions are by far the best!

The TV I was using while playing is fairly new, so I haven't gotten use to the way the displays were on it, so I thought I was dropping stuff on the remote. By the time I found the remote, the sound came back on.

When you walk around as limbs fall off and when you continually get smaller is fun to watch too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The BSOD is good, it's caused a lot of the rubes over at gamefaqs to think their GCs are faulty. The fake ending and resets are good too.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

The "getting tiny" effect was brilliant. I wasn't sure what was going on when I hit that one. The "MUTE" was great too, but I know my TV too well to have been tricked by it.

I was telling Kris that I had a very strange reaction to the bathtub discovery scene. My throat clenched up and my right eye started watering. I thought it was just the shock of it - and it was for me the BEST shock I've ever gotten from a game - but when I went back to see it a second time (from a previous saved game), it happened again!

I love this game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    loonieman

Ah yes, this game can be brilliant at times. I'm on the second to last chapter.

My favorite has to be either the bathtub scene, limbs falling off, or TV acting like it shut off.

I have heard there is one where if you try to save, it acts as though it deleted your game. And one where it's acts like the game re-boot itself and it goes back to the edgar allen poe quote at the beginning.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

IM not sure if this happened to anyone else but, after you beat the game and it asks you if you want to save, after you select the memory card instead of going to the save spots it just goes ahead and plays the credits. I was so pissed thinking it didn't save. But then the next time I when to play and start a new game and it said I had already beaten one rune would I like to carry it over I was so relieved.

The Blue screen error got me, Im so used to my computer crashing I almost reset the cube then it flashed back on.
    Also when you start clipping through the floor and walls that I almost rest then to.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

I believe I've seen them all, as I've been through the game 3 times now. Some appear more than others naturally... and I've not been freaked out by anything, just have to make sure it's part of the game and nothing something screwing up

Having said that, the "delete game" effect did cause me to do a quick double take and hope it was just fucking with my mind :wink:

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i finished it 3 times too, but i only saw this one once. and it's my favorite. a spider crawls across the tv screen. i got up to kill it, then about 20 more start scurrying in. that's the best one i think. also the one where the tv shuts off. and the one where your head falls off and you can pick it up. now here is a spoiler if you haven't beaten it 3 times yet:

**spoiler**
    ok, i beat it 3 times and got the final ending. i was told it was supposed to unlock "eternal darkness mode", but it didn't. is it supposed to appear at the title screen like the other things you unlock or what?

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

or was it the game playing one more final trick on you??

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

what do you unlock when you beat it all 3 times? come on fluke, i know you've beaten it 3 times. post somethin'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    loonieman

I literally just beat the game. I loved the experience... great game. I didn't get that "Eternal darkness" mode thing so it must be an insanity effect. I did get, however, a never fading Nintendo logo at the end of the credits... is that normal?