Thread: Anyone know of a decent PS2 DDR pad ?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Anyone know of a decent PS2 DDR pad ?

Forgive me if this has already been posted and please re-direct me to the origional post if there is one =P

I've played DDR for a couple years now and I still havn't found a half decent DDR pad for the ps2 that doesn't completly blow.

The only pads that I can find that are available are mad catz and those things shred so fast its not even funny.

Can anyone reccomend a pad to me? That isnt like 200 dollars?

Thanks =)

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gapporin

Although I've never tried them myself, about 90% of all DDR players will recommend a Red Octane pad. I think it costs somewhere around $100, though.
    "I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gapporin
    Although I've never tried them myself, about 90% of all DDR players will recommend a Red Octane pad. I think it costs somewhere around $100, though.
    Agreed. I've had mine for almost a year now, and it still works as well as it did on day one. If it's good enough for me to AA Max 300 Heavy, it should be good enough for anyone. Heh. Try to use it on a rigid surface, though, like a hard wood floor, as that will help keep it from bending and wearing out faster. They're $100, but well worth it when you compare the responsiveness and durability to the shitty $20 tissue paper mats.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DTJAAAAM
    PSN
    DTJAAAAM

I use this one:

http://www.buynshop.com/productinfo/44/VG-DDR-ULTDX/

It's similar in quality to Red Octane's pad, but only works for the PS2.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I also say Red Octane, my friend owns two at the moment, and they have been perfect every time we use them.
    RIP Bargora.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

How to make a $20 DDR pad perform like a $180 metal DDR platform...

1. Go down to your local hardware store and buy a sheet of plywood that is at least larger than the pad by about 3 inches all the way around.

2. Buy a sheet of thick yet strong clear plastic from the hardware store as well, it usually comes on large rolls and is cut to length. The roll should be as long as your DDR pad top to bottom, get a piece cut about 10 inches over the left to right length.

3. Set your DDR pad on the plywood.

4. Wrap the plastic over your DDR pad and secure it either with contact cement or staples, basically what you're trying to do is sandwhich the DDR pad between the wood and the plastic. The extra length on the sides is so you can wrap the plastic around the back and secure it to the underside of the plywood. You can always also simply duct tape your DDR pad to the plywood around the edges, but doing it with a sheet of plastic secured over it will let you wear shoes without any pad damage or catching on the pad itself.

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

@Om3ga: unfortunately, if you go the Red Octane way, your best bet is to order it online through either EBGames or Gamestop (it's actually a bit cheaper than going through Red Octane's website, although no matter what remember that you'll probably pay some customs fees). I don't think the pad is sold anywhere at all in Canada. (I'm talking specifically about the Ignition pads, which consist in a pad with an inch-thick foam insert)

And if you go the ebay way, keep in mind that most pads listed as "Red Octane" are actually "Red Octane-style pads" (ie. knockoffs). I don't know whether these knockoffs are any good at all, however.

I myself had a el cheapo Intec pad that drove me mad. It bunched up, it moved... and it was a bit too narrow to my taste (I think those cheap pads are best-suited for very petite people or for children). My next pad is actually going to be a Red Octane Ignition 2.

Oh, and one more thing: you can't import the Red Octane metal pads. Red Octane simply does not ship them outside of the US, mostly because they're bulky and heavy. There might be a workaround (like a third party vendor), but no matter what they're very costly.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Go Red Octane, I have one and it rocks.

As for mr. do it yourself up there, thats the not-so-good way to go about it. There is another better way to go about doing it, if you google around you can find it pretty easily.
    Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Number 1 in the 'hood g!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Anyone know of a decent PS2 DDR pad ?

Quote Originally Posted by om3ga
    Forgive me if this has already been posted and please re-direct me to the origional post if there is one =P
    Several topics have circulated the boards on DDR pads. Here are a few of the most recent ones:

Where to get a good DDR dance pad?
    Home DDR Players - Need Mat Recommendations
    Dance Pad Qs & others