Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's the take on Doom and Doom 2 in the CE version of D3?

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

While I've only played about the first half-dozen levels from Doom (not Doom II), I haven't noticed anything different from the PC version. I'm psyched about the availability of split-screen for DM or co-op, as I don't recall it being available on any other version. The closest I had come was through system link on a pair of PlayStations. Does anybody know whether Doom/Doom II are playable over a 4 Xbox LAN?
    (\ /)
    (O.o) ---XBL GT: RHINDLE
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm going to say this, I am EXTREMELY happy with the qualty of the ports on the CE. In 12 years, many many ports came out of the games. None were all that good. (Aside from the PSX and maybe the GBA ones.)

Now they finally put it on a system worthy with a controller worthy. The control scheme (Default) is PERFECT. I can play DOOM and DOOM 2 much BETTER than I used to be able to. The ability to have Halo-type (What I call it as it is the first game I played with this type of scheme) controls to strafe and circle the enemy easily rocks.

The ONLY thing that would have made the CE better, and I really wish they'd done it somehow, is if they acquired the rights to Final DOOM's two 32 level episodes. Some of the best efects ever put in DOOM were in those games. Transparent bridges, bullet-proof glass walls/windows. All done without changing a single piece of the engines code. This was all stuff that id could have used had they known how at the time. (Frankly, all I hated about those games is the final boss was just a more impossible version of D2's. They could easily have hacked - DeHacked - the EXE to make a new enemy with a lot of hit points and created new graphics for it. Or at least improvised.)

Also, maybe the original actual "Master Levels" would have been nice too.

I'm just glad they at least put in the fourth episode of D1. I loved the orange sky back then.

Edit: Oh, and I must mention, thank GOD a DOOM port on a console finally has transparent textures. No more changing the WAD's to make walls instead of using a texture for a window. Took 'em 12 years.