Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rant time: what others think of your VG collecting hobby

Apple (Level 5) Lord Contaminous's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Rant time: what others think of your VG collecting hobby

Have any of you experienced having to live with someone who thinks of your VG collecting hobby differently than you do? This is what compelled me to start this thread:

For instance, a half hour ago my Super Famicom system (which I wanted for 8 years) finally came....much faster than I expected.

However, my dad (in which I did NOT want him to know that I bought the damned thing) straight up killed the excitement and exhiliration I expected to experience once I got it.

Even though I sold some of my games to build up for this set, when my dad handed me my package, we almost threw off the gloves cuz he thinks I spend money on video games way too much (and that's not true this is the first time in a month I've done it), I don't understand the difference between needs and wants and other moral stuff I already know. News flash! I sell my fucking games so I WON'T have to pay out of my pocket. I sell my games through Paypal to keep it within that spectrum I tried to say that to him, but he just obviouisly don't wanna listen, so he throws his finger up to cut me off mid-sentence and I end up biting my tongue. He collects coins all the time and I don't say a thing to him.

In the middle of last week after I paid with Paypal, I went to the post office to tell the people to mail me a slip telling me to pick up my package instead of bringing it to the house so I could avoid confrontations like this about my hobby. And guess what? They bring it to the house anyway and the result: me getting pissed off making this thread to get it off my chest.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DrWily008
    PSN
    DrWily008

Yeah man, I feel ya. People like that make me so mad and my Dad was the same way until it helped me get a job in the videogames field. I'm opening my own store in 2 months, now I'm 27 and don't know how old you are. If your old enough get your own place, it makes the world of collecting a totally different experience. Sure you wont have a crumb to eat and you furniture will consist of old hand me downs and a $2000 stereo system, but hey at least you've got YOUR priorities straight!

On topic I've had MANY girlfriends who didn't feel my love for video games, so I kicked their abercrombie lovin' tramp asses to the curb. Seriously, I wouldn't settle for a girl who didn't at least appreciate my collection. That equals lots of meaningless relationships. Oh well I am now happily married to a beautiful gamer girl that I might not have met had I been with one of those other girls!

Good luck w/pops!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Both of my parents appreciate my collections and would never tell me I spent too much on games. My dad also helps me when I look for games in the wild.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I get the normal teasing and gruff from my parents. Shows that they don't understand my hobby, but don't necessarily approve of the money I spend. We've never got in any arguments over it, and as I live two states away, they don't see my game room very often. My gf is very understanding. Hell, I have control of an entire room of our apartment. Occasionally she gives me that look that says, "you spent too much and I'm not that happy with you right now," but it goes away. So, all in all, no complaints here.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If my wife gripes I just remind her that I dont smoke, do drugs, or go to the bar and drink. I have this one vice it could be much worse.

Besides, this stuff is still worth something after you use it.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

My wife thinks I'm crazy and spend way too much money, time, energy, etc.. on my hobby. But since I only spend what I make from selling games on ebay or wherever, she really isn't able to say to much. At least I no longer get the "and how much did that cost?" questions.

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

My girly thinks I spend a bit more than I should, but overall doesn't complain; she's a gamer too and enjoys all the side benefits of my hobby!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This would have to be moved to the Pub if I posted my rant on this subject.

Let me just say, I'll be 36 this year and my step mom has a real problem with my collection. I could punch a hole in the wall every time she brings sh*t up.
    What have you done America?

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last summer I made my mom get up early to go yardsaling, but she didn't really mind, she got more stuff than I did.

My brother makes fun of all my games and stuff, but it dosnt make sense, because he is a gamer himself. I think he might just be jelous that I have all these awesome games and systems and the such =P
    Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Number 1 in the 'hood g!

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is my logic,

People spend tens of thousands on cars and other stuff see pimp my ride. That is a collection right there. My collection keeps me young. Am I addicted yes. Do I buy games that I will never finish Yes. I collect because videogaming is a part of my life like any other thing. My wife knows this. I could be at the bar playing pool drinking staying out all hours of the night running the street. One guy told me it was a total waste and I told him at least I can account for majority of my money (not wifey) and see the results. Will I stop who knows . It is easy to put down what you dont understand. Every man has a hobby even pops find his be it clothes cigarettes. Enjoy your games and your collection.
    neo geo system

ServBot (Level 11) Lemmy Kilmister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FooFighter
    If my wife gripes I just remind her that I dont smoke, do drugs, or go to the bar and drink. I have this one vice it could be much worse.
    Ditto (minus the wife part). My dad every once in awhile likes to give me the whole "don't you have enough games? You should be saving your money" speech, but I think I do just fine. I put more then half of my pay check in the bank every week and it's not like i'm spending money on booze and getting myself into credit card debt like most kids my age (21). Besides, he just bought a new computer and a flashy Gibson guitar in the last couple of months, so I don't really think he's one to talk.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by testament89
    Besides, he just bought a new computer and a flashy Gibson guitar in the last couple of months, so I don't really think he's one to talk.
    You're doing good if you can save some money, I wish I did when I was younger.

I have around $250 a month left over after all my bills. What little is left, I feel what I do with it is no ones business. I don't drink, smoke or do drugs either, but I do like to eat. I rent a small house and drive a pos car since mine was stolen, and work 55 + hours a week and I'm salary. Life could be better, but that's what the games are for.

I always get asked if I am saving any money. The real reason it pisses me off is I work for them and have for almost four years now and have not be given a pay raise. I make the same as my old job where I worked the hours I wanted and only was there 35 hrs a week. This question coming from people with five houses, four cars, a boat and two jet skis. Of course, they have worked hard to get where they are, so I understand their situation. That's enough from me, they'd sh*t purple Twinkies if they read this post.
    What have you done America?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My wife use to hate my hobby. That is until she played super mario kart double dash. Now she wont let me in my game room.
    "Do you find me sadistic?" - BILL

Collection and want list
    http://65.61.168.22/Collection/gamec...erid=link21580

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

No one understands it. My ex saw it and was like "why you wasted so much money on a dead system?"

Oh well, I learned ppl will always be like that, just enjoy yourself and have BALANCE

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's a hobby that's all. Now if people around you (especially living with you) don't understand or accept it then you will not enjoy it as much. No need to argue over it either. Try sitting down and explaining that its a hobby, it's what I like to do and if you are lucky enough to find something rare you could profit from it just like other hobbies. When I tell people I collect videogames the first reaction is What? Then I go on to say ya I have x amount of games from the beginning to modern games then they start asking questions like what was the first game or ya I remember playing pac man what else is there? That's the fun part in my opinion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    shvnsth
    PSN
    shvnsth
    Steam
    shvnsth

collecting is in my blood, and i have tons of collections:

games
    oasis shit
    dvds
    cds
    audio equipment
    clothes
    guitars

and everyone around me knows i have the cash to spend, and its better in this shit than drugs or whores, so no one really bothers me about this shit. good luck with your dad
    Formerly known as "umich."

collection/buy/sell: https://tinyurl.com/shvnsth

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, the last I checked collecting VG's is a hobby. Hobbies cost money regardless what it is. I also like H2O trains. Now THERE is a nerdy hobby. Nobody collects trains anymore! But I also like guns. So that evens it out. If somebody has a problem with hobby #1 or #2 or both, see hobby 3#.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Pretty much everyone I know is ok with my collecting. Parents are usually on the look-out for good deals and check around them when I'm searching for anything in particular, and the wife is usually ok with it. She just uses my game spending to justify purchases for herself though

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My Family is kinda negative about my computer and video game addiction, such as saying I "spend all day in my cave".
    RIP Bargora.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Since I tend to spend more time collecting than actually playing, nobody gives me too hard of a time. My wife enjoys video games, too, which is a nice touch.

Moving into my house last year my father made some jackass comment about "needing to grow up" because I was going to use one of the empty rooms just for games. I got pissed and made a comment about him hunting for sport. We had a small fight but it worked out.

Then I decided to build a MAME machine: (Click here to look!). I basically put the whole thing together from broken parts, so it wasn't too expensive. Maybe 400 dollars overall, but that definitely drew one or two comments from my wife. Oh well, it was worth it.

The hardest to justify was putting a projector TV down in the basement (the eventual gameroom). 1200 bucks to play the retro games in 100 inch beauty. Got my surround sound and all my systems hooked up... but I pretty much won't be able to buy any games for months without getting some serious crap from my wife. (Walking on thin ice.)

Most of my friends play games, though.. I'm the only one that collects to any large degree. One buddy of mine collects Genesis and Nintendo, but probably only has around 50 or 60. Still, most of my friends have no problem going hunting for games from time to time, so it works out.

Sorry for all of you folks who get crap for your hobby. Stay strong! They can have their Nascar and baseball cards!
    -Mark

Wanted: Activision Patches - PM me.
    Wanted: Popful Mail Case/Manual - PM me.