Thread: Sega CD releases in cardboard box questions

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Sega CD releases in cardboard box questions

Hi,

I did a search and could find anything relating to this topic, however, I've had some problems accessing the search engine lately, so I'm not sure if this has been posted.

I know the Rarity Guide states which Sega CD games came in longbox style jewel cases (like the Saturn) and which came in cardboard boxes, but what I want to know with respect to the cardboard boxes is what did the games come in? Did they vary by manufacturer? Were there different sizes with respect to the packaging?

I recently bought a "sealed" Time Gal on ebay. When I opened it there was a long instruction manual, almost the size of a normal Sega CD longbox manual. The game cd was in a plain jewel case. I just wanted to make sure it was complete, and not a reseal.

Also, I've seen Sol-Feace and Sherlock Holmes games in cardboard jewel cases. Did they come inside a larger package, or by themselves. Were there instructions and if so, were they inside the cardboard jewels?

Finally, Sewer Shark - this was a pack in at one time. I've seen these in cardboard boxes and in plain jewels. Was there variation in packaging for this game? Did the pack-in version come simply in a plain jewel?

If someone can point to a prior thread noting all the different packaging and what came with them, maps, charts reference cards etc, I would appreciate that as well.

Thanks.

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Basically all sega cd cardboard boxed games just come with a regular clear cd case holding the game cd, and a long box style manual. That is a complete copy of time gal you have. As for sol feace and the sherlock holmes being in the cardboard jewel style flip cases, that's because they were pack in software I believe.

Sewer Shark's variance I believe is also in relevance to pack a pack in version. The pack in is just a slip sleeve case while the retail copy was a black cardboard box with the lonbox style manual just like all the others.

Edit:

To clarify the manual question on those flip cover cd case games, the manuals for mine are just stuck inside the case. It's kind of annoying cause it just lays in there. There's no slot or anything to slide it into, from what I know.

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, if it's in a cardboard jewel case, then it's a pack-in, but if it's in a clear jewel case, then it's a regular release.

Also, there is no regular release of Sol Feace. It was only available as a pack-in with the original release of SegaCD.
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Prince of Persia
    The Adventures of Willy Beamish
    Black Hole Assault

And all the music games I believe.

It's been too long since I owned any of them. I believe they just came with the game, standard inserts and a large manual.
    What have you done America?

Strawberry (Level 2) GunPanther's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Off the top of my head, here are some of the cardboard box releases for the Sega CD, before they switched to the longer plastic jewel cases.

I'll list them in no particular order, but I'll include details if I know of them.

---------------------------

Rise Of The Dragon (comes in both plastic case and cardboard box)

Sewer Shark (3 variations: cardboard box, pack-in for Sega CD system V1/slide tray and pack-in for Sega CD system V2/flip top)

Time Gal

The Adventures Of Willy Beamish

Wonder Dog

Chuck Rock

Wolfchild

Shadow Of The Beast II

Jaguar XJ220

Afterburner III

Final Fight CD

Cobra Command

Sol-Feace (pack-in title for Sega CD system V1. Is also one of two 'small sized' cardboard box/jewel case types)

Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective / Sega Classics Arcade Collection (pack-in title for Sega CD system V1. Is also one of two 'small sized' cardboard box/jewel case types)

Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective 2

Night Trap (released in old red cardboard box, then later re-released in black cardboard box)

Batman Returns

Hook

Prince Of Persia

Road Avenger

Black Hole Assault

The Secret Of Monkey Island

--------------------------------

Those are the ones I can think of as of right now. If I think of any more, I'll list them as well.

GunPanther
    "Sometimes you just have to shoot their limbs to get their attention."

Good traders: Querjek, k8track, youruglyclone

http://users.ign.com/collection/gymleader_panther

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just to add:

Scottie Pippen's Slam City
    Kids On Site
    (both are flip-open boxes as opposed to ones you open at the top, but the games still come in a plain jewel case)

Lethal Enforcers (un sega cd box muy gigante)
    Sega Arcade Collection (pack-in)
    and there's and Arcade Collection/Ecco the dolphin 2 pack.

If you're looking to get ones that are super-duper complete, most of the Digital Pictures cardboard releases came with extras, like temp tattoos of their logo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BurgerTrench

Ok. Here we go.

The later Digital Picture games came in a fold open box. These were:

Supreme Warrior
    Night Trap (re-release)
    Slam City
    Corpse Killer
    Kids on Site

All were in blue boxes. Their 32X versions were in yellow boxes.

The cardboard box games are (this 'should' be the complete list)

Adventures of Willy Beamish
    Afterburner III
    Batman Returns
    Black Hole Assault
    Chuck Rock
    Cobra Command
    Final Fight
    Hook
    INXS: Make My Video
    Jaguar XJ220
    KRIS KROSS: Make my Video
    Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch: Make my Video
    Night Trap (referred to by the color of its box, red)
    Prince of Persia
    Rise of the Dragon
    Road Avenger
    The Secret of Monkey Island
    Sewer Shark
    Sherlock Holmes Vol.2
    Time Gal
    Wolfchild
    Wonder Dog

On the small jewel case sized releases:

Sol-Feace and Sherlock Holmes Vol.1 were only released as pack-ins with the fold open cases. They never received exclusive treatment. They did, however, come with manuals, and Sherlock Holmes Vol.1 had an additional newspaper supplement.

Shadow of the Beast II was only released in the normal Sega CD long case. It was not a cardboard box release.

Other tidbits. Compton’s Encyclopedia had two variations. One is the X'Eye pack in. The other is the standard long case.

Ecco the Dolphin was two packed with the Sega Arcade Classics 5 in 1 for the CDX. This looks exactly the same as the Sherlock Holmes / 4 in 1 that was packaged originally with the Sega CD.

Tomcat Alley, Sewer Shark, Sonic CD, and Prize Fighter all saw releases in the smaller jewel case sized fold open cases. Each also came with a manual. Tomcat Alley and Sewer Shark were a Sega CD model 2 packins. Each was a different promotion. Sonic CD was packaged with the CDX. And Prize Fighter was packaged with the X'Eye and may have seen a bundle with the model 2 but I've never seen it.

There are also 4 music related Sega CD releases. Colors of Modern Rock being the most difficult to find. It was a mail away offer with the X'Eye. The easist to find is the Hot Hits / Rock Paintings double pack (looks just like the Sherlock Holmes / 4 in 1 and Ecco / 5 in 1 cases). This one was bundled with the original Sega CD. Finally there is a Karaoke Sampler disc that was bundled with the X'Eye.

So, synopsis:

Sega CD Model 1:

Sherlock Holmes / 4 in 1
    Sol-Feace
    Hot Hits / Rock Paintings

Sega CD Model 2:

Tomcat Alley (one version)
    Sewer Shark (one version)

JVC X'Eye:

Karaoke Sampler (sleeved, not cased)
    Compton’s Encyclopedia (sleeved, not cased)
    Prize Fighter

CDX:

Ecco the Dolphin / 5 in 1
    Sonic CD

Hope that helps.
    "Be proud of what we make you do." - Master Shake, SGC2C - Baffler Meal
    Blog time!
    On Facebook

Key (Level 9) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Sega CD releases in cardboard box questions

Just wondering, was it my Time Gal you bought off of eBay? Just to let you know, I bought it from Kaybee back in the day, and have had it ever since, so it is definetely not a reseal. The complete one I have is the same way, too.

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blissfulnoise
    Sol-Feace and Sherlock Holmes Vol.1 were only released as pack-ins with the fold open cases. They never received exclusive treatment. They did, however, come with manuals, and Sherlock Holmes Vol.1 had an additional newspaper supplement.
    Actually, Sherlock Holmes Vol. 1 was re-released on its own later, in a cardboard box like Sherlock Holmes Vol. 2, shortly after Vol. 2 came out. I'm pretty certain I've seen it before.
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am prety sure that whereas the 22 (or so) normal boxed sega CD games that were boxed did indeed come in jewel cases (but were the double cd games just stacked or did they use a different case?) I think the 5 digital pictures games that came in the flip boxes did not come with jewel cases, they came with black sleves. Lethal enforcers came in the huge box that had the enforcer gun with it. Also, the segaCD backup cart came in a flip box right?

As far as other boxes go Citizen X, Bug Blasters and Star Strike (the late release/homebrew games) came in DVD-like cases and a regular cd jewel case.