Thread: Cd-I infomercial

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Cd-I infomercial

I have this wanted in the buy and sell but i also wanted to talk about this to see if anyone has any info on it.

I have been looking for a this for the last 10 years and any help would be appreciated. in the early 1990's when the philips cd-i came out there was an infomercial that they used to play (remember those middle of the night informercials at 3 in the morning when nothing was on?) late at night for the cd-i. it was about a half hour to an hour and it was just a man sitting in a dark room with a cd-i and a "god" voice talking about the "meaning of life" being the cd-i (which is what insiders call the infomercial). it basically shows him various cd-i titles and convinces him to buy one. if anyone has this on tape or any other format (maybe you recorded a show one night and it was on there) please let me know. i have talked to various former philips employees, in the us and the netherlands and its one of those things that everyone remembers but no one has. one representitive i spoke to said that the original company that made that no longer exists. it has been a long search and any help would be greatly appreciated!
    www.worldofgamespublishing.com
    Now you know, and knowing is half the battle!

Great Puma (Level 12) DeputyMoniker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

I'd like to get a hold of that too!!
    Let me know if you find anything, I'll do some searching myself too.

Click here to view my collection.
    DP FFXIV Username & Server List.

PSN, Switch, U, Steam, and Twitch: tellUwut

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yeah it was a great comercial, i miss it alot, it was the whole reason i spent $2000 on an original cd-i! (i know, im crazy)

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, the original CD-i price was absolutely insane. I remember my Dad bought me one and I was like "thanks, but are you insane!?" (he is).

I too recall seeing this commercial, semi-similar to that 20 minute Sega CD advert with the guy sitting inside that empty black room with the voice over of the semi-english accent woman.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, they don't seem to have it at the Black Moon Project, which doesn't bode well. If they don't have it, I doubt anybody does.

I remember watching a CD-i infomercial back then. It was on every night there for a few months. I kept thinking it was the future of home entertainment (games/movies on discs) but strangely I never really wanted to buy it. Too expensive I guess. I also remember seeing a two-second flash of a Zelda game and thinking, "Is that Link? WTF is Link doing on this non-Intendo machine? Nah, that can't be Link..."
    o2william's Found & Lost

The Odyssey˛ Homepage! - Visit it for Sync-Sound Action!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yes i am a member of black moon (and about every other cdi club for that matter) and they have been assisting me with the search as well. its going to have to be one of those things where someone had taped a show too long or just had it somewhere and forgot about it. as for the nintendo games on cdi, there were 3 zelda games (one of which was ok, zeldas adventure, imagine an original zelda 1 game with realistic photos being inserted in!) and 2 mario games (hotel mario and super marios wacky worlds, which is only in proto form, which i actually own!) i personally love the system, i own a proto of the system, 2 dev units, and every model system they make, as well as the whole us collection and a good majority of foreign releases. i just think it was so far ahead of its time (and expensive!) that no one gave it much of a chance

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

oh MAN I remember that thing...it was so hilariously bad that it was awesome. I'd love to see it again.

of course, what I'd REALLY like to see is the other infomercial Phillips did for the CDI...anyone remember that one? it featured a family whose VCR broke down, so they called a repairman to fix it, and when the repairman showed up he took one look at the VCR and was like "you don't need THIS anymore!" and chucked it, replacing it with a CDI. it was total madness, and even as a kid I had to laugh at how stupid it was. the family was way too delighted at the possibility of VCD movies, mom got REALLY EXCITED about the boxing game for some reason, and the dad was far more intrigued by Voyeur than he should have been. creepy, creepy stuff.

I also hear rumors of a jaguar infomercial but I don't think I could handle how incredible such a thing would be.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yeah i would take that infomercial as well, classic stuff. if you go to www.atariage.com you can pick up jagads for the jaguar cd which contains the infomecial you are talking about, the infamous "cave" infomercial. i love this stuff!!