Thread: Journey: Escape.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Default Journey: Escape.

Remember this arcade game?

It was unique in that it used a sort of "digital photography" for the band members' faces.

But did you know that this technique was originally supposed to be used to "photograph" your face?

The idea was this: you'd get a high score, then pose in front of the camera so your face would appear next to your score.

Of course, the obvious happened: people making rude or obscene gestures at the camera. So, the idea was abandoned.

Interesting trivia, ideas that just never made it, even though the idea itself was good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

Interesting anecdote...naturally people would abuse such a feature, but no worse than putting DIK or FUK as your initials, I guess. And this was a rock and roll game, after all.

But the idea seems somewhat implausible given the technology of the day. I'm curious how the image files of the high scorers would be edited and stored. Eeprom? 1MB hard drive? Not much to work with back in 1981.

I'm not saying I don't believe you, Aswald. But I'd really love to see some sort of documentation on this. Do you perhaps know of a web resource that might have documentation or pics of the cab with, say, a prototype camera system?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmmm... I've read this in several places (that the technology was originally meant to take a pic of the user to use in the game). But I'm not sure exactly where.. whether it was in an old magazine article during the game's time, or just somewhere else on the web.

I'm wondering if references to the ability to capture faces for use in the game were referring to the potential of the technology itself rather than putting that specific functionality within Journey the arcade game... and that Journey just utilized the technology to capture the band's faces. I'll take a look at some old mags because I have a good idea of what issues the game was mentioned..

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pantechnicon
    Interesting anecdote...naturally people would abuse such a feature, but no worse than putting DIK or FUK as your initials, I guess. And this was a rock and roll game, after all.

But the idea seems somewhat implausible given the technology of the day. I'm curious how the image files of the high scorers would be edited and stored. Eeprom? 1MB hard drive? Not much to work with back in 1981.

I'm not saying I don't believe you, Aswald. But I'd really love to see some sort of documentation on this. Do you perhaps know of a web resource that might have documentation or pics of the cab with, say, a prototype camera system?
    Ummmm. actually before you doubt him read this

http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?...J&game_id=8242

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Well, all you have to do is look at images of the game itself. The "photos," if you will, were in black and white, and they were small- just like the faces of the band members:

Hey- KLOV backs up this story, too! Nifty!

Starman (Level 23) Phosphor Dot Fossils's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

And furthermore, it's another Ralph Baer invention (of Odyssey 1 and Simon fame); according to his book, the play-testing of the digital-photo-in-lieu-of-high-score-initials idea ended when someone mooned the camera. Apparently nobody at Midway wanted to mess with the idea after that...

Proof yet again that crack kills.

Cherry (Level 1) eightbitonline's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ralph baer never ceases to shower us with genius.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FooFighter
    Ummmm. actually before you doubt him read this

Well yknow, KLOV sometimes has it's inaccuracies.. basically due to the fact that most anyone can submit their "info".

Although I'm not disputing this particular one.. :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

Quote Originally Posted by Aswald
    Well, all you have to do is look at images of the game itself. The "photos," if you will, were in black and white, and they were small- just like the faces of the band members:

I know the game. I understand that those are B&W digitized pics of Journey. No disputes there. I was just questioning the idea of how an arcade cab like this (in 1981) would have used some sort of integrated camera on the machine and in the arcade and all that.

Naturally a legend like Ralph Baer would be the one to dream up with something like this...15 years ahead of Gameboy camera and 20 years ahead of the EyeToy

Yes, KLOV backs up the story but it seems all you did was essentially repeated what they wrote. More info would definitely be welcome. Let's see what NE146 digs out of his old magazines.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phosphor Dot Fossils
    ...idea ended when someone mooned the camera. Apparently nobody at Midway wanted to mess with the idea after that...

Proof yet again that crack kills.
    LOL It was bound to happen sooner or later though having a camera on an arcade is always asking for the old buttocks/breasts to pop out once in a while.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Originally, this game was not to have the band Journey in it. It would have a digital camera (created by Ralph Baer, the creator of the Magnavox Odyssey home console systems) that would take a picture of the player's face and put it on the character. After some people used unmentionable parts of their body as character heads during tests, this was dropped
    They should have never dropped the idea.

Would people do such a thing in a public arcade in 1983?

Think about it.

You ever see those picture booths that make stickers?

Same analogy.

Would the picture be saved in some way so that

others can see it on an *attract screen*

or was the picture to be used only one time

during gameplay and deleted?

Ralph should have grabbed his crotch,

stepped up to the plate

and swung for the fences with his idea.
    Tony Fox
    Digital Press Resident Mix Master
    Digital Press Records NYC

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Double post - pardon me.
    Tony Fox
    Digital Press Resident Mix Master
    Digital Press Records NYC

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I thought you were talking about the *band* Journey and their album Escape when I first saw this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pantechnicon
    Quote Originally Posted by Aswald

I know the game. I understand that those are B&W digitized pics of Journey. No disputes there. I was just questioning the idea of how an arcade cab like this (in 1981) would have used some sort of integrated camera on the machine and in the arcade and all that.

Naturally a legend like Ralph Baer would be the one to dream up with something like this...15 years ahead of Gameboy camera and 20 years ahead of the EyeToy

Yes, KLOV backs up the story but it seems all you did was essentially repeated what they wrote. More info would definitely be welcome. Let's see what NE146 digs out of his old magazines.

Until I looked there yesterday, I had no idea that they did back up the story. I had heard about this back when Journey: Escape came out over 20 years ago. It seemed plausible, because of the way the faces looked.

It's interesting to note that many things we take for granted today in fact existed long before. "Digital Photography," on-line gaming (among 2 or more people!), for example, ordering games over the telephone ("downloading games"), voice-recognition, and so on, all did exist back in those days, but it was often expensive (by today's standards, especially), or little-known, or just didn't really go anywhere back then.