Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: 8-Bit Weapon namedropped by Beck in Blender magazine

  1. #1
    Crono (Level 14) Kroogah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Captain Falcon is displeased by this
    Posts
    6,142
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Holger Czukay

    Default 8-Bit Weapon namedropped by Beck in Blender magazine

    OK, the latest issue of Blender (the one with the oh-so-trendy Eminem and 50 Cent on the cover) has a great interview with Beck in it, bugging him about Guero and the Gameboy Variations EP.

    One of the questions is along the lines of "You seem hip, what are some hip bands to look for?" and all the bands Beck names fall under "Micromusic" as Seth calls it. He says "8-Bit from LA" which I'm pretty sure is 8-Bit Weapon. Quote:

    "There's this whole scene of bands using Gameboys and old computers in their music. They're anti-technology by using obsolete technology"

    Something along those lines anyway. Rock on, Naughtyboy and Stickgirl.


  2. #2
    Great Puma (Level 12)
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Northeast IL
    Posts
    4,291
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    chunkycorn

    Default

    Haha that is great.

    all i can think of when i heard that was, wow where was beck when he heard 8bit
    My life and perception has changed, but my principals are the same.

  3. #3
    Cherry (Level 1)
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    298
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default Re: 8-Bit Weapon namedropped by Beck in Blender magazine

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Yashiro
    One of the questions is along the lines of "You seem hip, what are some hip bands to look for?" and all the bands Beck names fall under "Micromusic" as Seth calls it. He says "8-Bit from LA" which I'm pretty sure is 8-Bit Weapon. Quote:

    "There's this whole scene of bands using Gameboys and old computers in their music. They're anti-technology by using obsolete technology".
    actually, i believe that he's talking about a seperate group just called "8-bit" that is a part of that scene. i've heard 8-bit on kxlu out here in l.a., and have not heard but have heard of 8-bit weapon.

    8-bit

    8-bit weapon

    great minds thinking alike.

  4. #4
    Crono (Level 14) Kroogah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Captain Falcon is displeased by this
    Posts
    6,142
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Holger Czukay

    Default

    Crap. Shoulda known. These guys are....wow. Suddenly I love 8-Bit Weapon even more for being an instrumental group.


  5. #5
    Insert Coin (Level 0) Bunnibear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    36
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Forgive me if this is a little off topic

    For those who haven't seen or heard of 8-Bit Weapon they were recently on an episode of Attack of the Show which aired on April 11th. The two members of 8-Bit Weapon play for a short time and then have an interview with one of the show's hosts. According to the G4TV website they will be airing the episode again on 4/16/2005 at 11am ET / 8am PT.

  6. #6
    Strawberry (Level 2)
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    In the studio! DPR HQ NYC
    Posts
    484
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default Re: 8-Bit Weapon namedropped by Beck in Blender magazine

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Yashiro
    ...a great interview with Beck...
    Beck smokes freebase.
    Tony Fox
    Digital Press Resident Mix Master
    Digital Press Records NYC





  7. #7
    ServBot (Level 11) badinsults's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Somewhere on planet Earth / #vbender
    Posts
    3,986
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Apparently this kind of music is becoming pretty big in places like Norway.

    Personally, I loved the Somethingawful.com Mario Paint Music competition they had a few weeks ago. Some great stuff.

    http://www.somethingawful.com/articles.php?a=2740
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

  8. #8
    Pear (Level 6)
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    1,360
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    This type of music has been popular everywhere for a while now - it's just that different people become aware of it and say, oh hey looks it's popular now, b/c I noticed some suckas be jammin' to it over in that place. word.

    No, but really, that EP is excellent.

    Tracklisting for those interested...
    (1) Hell Yes (Ghettochip Malfunction mix)
    (2) Que' Onda Guero (Gameboy Homeboy mix)
    (3) E-Pro (Bad Cartridge mix)
    (4) Girl (Bit Rate Variations in B-Flat mix)

    I can hook you up. Just ask.

  9. #9
    Peach (Level 3)
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    647
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bunnibear
    Forgive me if this is a little off topic

    For those who haven't seen or heard of 8-Bit Weapon they were recently on an episode of Attack of the Show which aired on April 11th. The two members of 8-Bit Weapon play for a short time and then have an interview with one of the show's hosts. According to the G4TV website they will be airing the episode again on 4/16/2005 at 11am ET / 8am PT.
    Yeah, that was a pretty neat episode. It was also kinda cool how they explained how all the equipment worked, those guys are definately old school.
    RIP Bargora.

  10. #10
    Crono (Level 14)
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    6,332
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jive3D
    This type of music has been popular everywhere for a while now - it's just that different people become aware of it and say, oh hey looks it's popular now, b/c I noticed some suckas be jammin' to it over in that place. word.

    No, but really, that EP is excellent.

    Tracklisting for those interested...
    (1) Hell Yes (Ghettochip Malfunction mix)
    (2) Que' Onda Guero (Gameboy Homeboy mix)
    (3) E-Pro (Bad Cartridge mix)
    (4) Girl (Bit Rate Variations in B-Flat mix)

    I can hook you up. Just ask.
    I am asking. I need that EP. I have the Guero CD/CD with all the studio tracks plus the 4/5 remixes... I hear the Gameboy remix is incredible and I can not find it ANYWHERE online!!! Jive 3D. Hook a brother up.
    #vbender

  11. #11
    Pear (Level 6) robotriot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,316
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    You may also want to check out monotonik, a nice netlabel which often has 8bit-ish sounds to it :)

    http://www.monotonik.com/
    Wii: 8285 8147 1575 6278

  12. #12
    Pretzel (Level 4)
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    971
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BigPapaHusker
    PSN
    BigPapaHusker

    Default

    That music is sweet! The Mario Paint Competiton songs were amazing... I should have done that

  13. #13
    Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Nature Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    K-Town
    Posts
    4,748
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by grandamchandler
    I hear the Gameboy remix is incredible and I can not find it ANYWHERE online!!!
    iTunes has it. Unless of course you're looking to get it for free...

    (I downloaded it from them and I agree - it's fantastic. I originally thought it was SID music used in the first couple of tracks but Cap'n Wrong corrected me )

  14. #14
    Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    130
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Pretty slick! I really like that 8-Bit, had never heard of them. BUT, I think they are copying a local band in Denver that has been doing something similar (and better ) for at least 2-3 years, maybe longer called Mr. Pacman. Mr. Pacman is the best band of "video game/electronica" sound that I have heard: http://www.mrpacman.com/

    If you have a chance to checkout one of their shows, don't miss it, they are crazy play a great show and it may be the only time you have a chance to see someone set up a real C64 on stage and play music on it... :P

  15. #15
    Apple (Level 5) Julio III's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,151
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    the guy that did the last 2 of the Beck remixes is called Paza, you can download a mini-album at www.8bitpeoples.com who also have their entire back catalogue by loads of people making old videogame chip music available for download

  16. #16
    Strawberry (Level 2)
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    California
    Posts
    553
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Julio III
    the guy that did the last 2 of the Beck remixes is called Paza, you can download a mini-album at www.8bitpeoples.com who also have their entire back catalogue by loads of people making old videogame chip music available for download
    And Paza is part of the X-Dump collective, which also includes one of my favoritest artists, Psilodump, who also happens to have an album on 8bitpeoples. Interesting to see that chiptunes are starting to get some popular recognition, but I've got a feeling it's just a mutation from "people" listening to electropop (or electroclash if you're feeling trendy).

  17. #17
    Great Puma (Level 12) DeputyMoniker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,006
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    5
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

    Default

    What happened to Beck? When I heard Sea Change, he was the balls. Now hes gone back to his old style with Guero. I dont like it so much...I wanted more Sea Change. Anybody else prefer Sea Change over Becks typical sound?



    Click here to view my collection.
    DP FFXIV Username & Server List.

    PSN, Switch, U, Steam, and Twitch: tellUwut

  18. #18
    Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    120
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Necromutant
    If you have a chance to checkout one of their shows, don't miss it, they are crazy play a great show and it may be the only time you have a chance to see someone set up a real C64 on stage and play music on it... :P
    On that note, you should also check out Tree Wave. They're probably the most original group out of this genre, as they strive to make an organic sound out of some not so orgainic sounding instruments (Atari 2600, Dot Matrix Printer, C64). www.treewave.com

  19. #19
    Pear (Level 6)
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    1,360
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMoniker
    What happened to Beck? When I heard Sea Change, he was the balls. Now hes gone back to his old style with Guero. I dont like it so much...I wanted more Sea Change. Anybody else prefer Sea Change over Becks typical sound?
    You're one of the few people that really liked that album. I can appreciate the musical accomplishment - but Beck's Sea Change was really all about him getting the sadness out of his system when Wynona Rider broke up with him. Guero is a nice return to roots in the style of Midnight Vultures and Odelay. The Dust brothers worked with him on Guero (they also produced Midnight Vultures).

    I highly recomend the Special Edition of Guero. It's got the CD with more tracks than the regular retail release, plus you get a DVD with some great visual material set to the album - not exacly music videos per say, but you can watch the entire album set to some very cool visualisations.

  20. #20
    Pac-Man (Level 10) ianoid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Austin TX
    Posts
    2,198
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default getting ot

    Anyone listen to venerable Japanese band YMO? 8BW sounds a heck of alot like 'em, and claimed at CGE last year that they've never heard them.

Similar Threads

  1. Anyone have BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad DVD volumes?
    By darkslime in forum Buying and Selling
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-29-2008, 02:43 AM
  2. What was BECK-TECH?
    By o2william in forum Classic Gaming
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-21-2006, 02:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •