Thread: Dreamcast Dead or Alive 2 Demo CD

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Dreamcast Dead or Alive 2 Demo CD

Just noticed that I've got a Dreamcast Demo CD that's not in the database. I won this in a contest back before DOA2 came out for the Dreamcast, from SegaWeb I believe.

I haven't seen them on eBay the few times I've searched for them, so I'm wondering how common or uncommon they are. Any ideas?

BTW, I posted this in the Rarity Guide/Database board too, but I thought I'd throw it on here to get some thoughts as well.
    \\ : NUON-Dome : / "The place to go for all things NUON." - Edge Magazine

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's harder to find, but not impossible. Probably an R5, maybe R6.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have that CD (I don't think I'm missing any of the demo cd's, would SA:LE count as one?), so it's not exactly one of a kind, maybe just low demand.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How many demo disks are there for the Dreamcast besides the magazine ones? I would like to own a copy of this. Nice find reguardless.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Single game demos that I can recall:

Super Magnetic Neo
    Power Stone
    Demolition Racer: No Exit
    Army Men Sarges Heroes
    San Fransisco Rush 2049
    Gauntlet Legends

There were also sampler disks also available not through magazines:

AT&T It Lives
    Generator Volume 1 & 2

If anyone has any demos listed here and not listed here, shoot me a PM, I am probably looking to buy it

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I believe that this is a list of all of them:

Army Men: Sarge's Heroes
    Dead or Alive 2
    Demolition Racer
    Gauntlet Legends
    Power Stone
    Rush 2049
    Super Magnetic Neo
    Tony Hawk Pro Skater
    Ultimate Fighting Championship

There was also a Sonic Adventure 2 disc that came with Phantasy Star or something. The Generator discs were through magazines if I recall correctly. And then there was also the Planet Web Browser Version 3.0, which is pretty rare.

The demos aren't too common, but they aren't very sought after either. Even with my complete US collection and nearing completion PAL collection, I haven't taken the time to track those (or the official Dreamcast mag) discs down.

Oddly enough, I really dig the European white label discs, which are essentially the same thing.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by goatdan
    There was also a Sonic Adventure 2 disc that came with Phantasy Star or something. The Generator discs were through magazines if I recall correctly. And then there was also the Planet Web Browser Version 3.0, which is pretty rare.
    The Generator Discs were pack-ins with the system, as was web browser 1 and 2, and the aforementioned AT&T demo.

Web Browser 3 is far from rare, R4/$25.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sisko
    The Generator Discs were pack-ins with the system,
    Okay. That explains how I got one, I guess.

Web Browser 3 is far from rare, R4/$25.
    Well, if you look at the fact that no Dreamcast game is ranked higher than a 5 on the rarity guide, and there are only four of those, I'd say it's pretty rare.

And I think that the Dreamcast rarity on the site is a little off. Probably the rarest US release was ECW Anarchy Rulz, but it only got a rating of R2. On the other hand, Aerowings which sold probably ten times more copies than Anarchy did is rated as a R4. And even odder, Tee Off Golf sold more copies than AeroWings did, but got an R5.

No, the Web Browser 3 is really one of the more rare Dreamcast items. It seems to be more common right now because a few eBay sellers got their hands on the remaining stock and are auctioning them off on eBay, but the likelyhood of finding a Web Browser 3.0 in the wild is nearly none, unlike 1.0 or 2.0 which are both extraordinarly common. But it suffers from the same "problem" that many of the rare Dreamcast games do -- there isn't really a big market for it. Luckily for people like me who just want to get the stuff, for the most part the excellent games were made in high quantities and the crappy games / browsers that no one wants were made in low numbers... but no one cares except me
    Dan Loosen
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

And I think that the Dreamcast rarity on the site is a little off. Probably the rarest US release was ECW Anarchy Rulz, but it only got a rating of R2. On the other hand, Aerowings which sold probably ten times more copies than Anarchy did is rated as a R4. And even odder, Tee Off Golf sold more copies than AeroWings did, but got an R5.
    It looks to me more that this game was one of those that just didnt sell and when the DC died, was one of those blow out for a penny type game (since at the time the Wrestling stuff was flooding the market). Its always seemed pretty common to me, and when I see places with DC games on shelves (which is rare for around here) thats going to be one of them. Stuff like Aerowings might have sold more, but that doesnt mean that they didnt produce a shitton of these, that just never showed real sales numbers by the DC's death and subsequent game liquidation.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PapaStu
    It looks to me more that this game was one of those that just didnt sell and when the DC died, was one of those blow out for a penny type game (since at the time the Wrestling stuff was flooding the market). Its always seemed pretty common to me, and when I see places with DC games on shelves (which is rare for around here) thats going to be one of them. Stuff like Aerowings might have sold more, but that doesnt mean that they didnt produce a shitton of these, that just never showed real sales numbers by the DC's death and subsequent game liquidation.
    Are you sure that the game that you are seeing isn't the MUCH more common ECW Hardcore Revolution? Hardcore Revolution did amazingly well for a game that was so bad and based on a not-so-well-known property. ECW Anarchy Rulz did amazingly poorly and was one of the later Acclaim releases, when Acclaim was so worried about money that they weren't producing many of each title.

Anarchy Rulz shows up on eBay more often because even though Acclaim didn't make many of them, they were blown out at the end of the Dreamcast's life. Even with that difference, I'd be amazed if there were one copy of Anarchy Rulz for every three copies of Aerowings.
    Dan Loosen