Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The demise of Nintendo is almost upon us!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default The demise of Nintendo is almost upon us!

This is a continuation of my other thread - Is the games industry getting just a little too crowded?

I forsee something going down - And I think it may just be Nintendo this time!

The DS is unnecessary. It is a half-arsed attempt to advance, but doesn't seem to have actually made it...

In one hand, we have the GBA, in the other, the PSP. The DS is neither, but wants to desperately be both. And is failing miserably. Nintendo could have made a replacement for the GBA, but they didn't. They could have made a next gen console to rival the PSP, but they didn't. What we have is just an ugly mess - One which won't last in my eyes.

Until now, Nintendo have virtually ruled the handheld market since atari and Sega pulled out some time ago. Many have tried to take their crown, and many have failed - Until now, and it may just look like they will be mopping up their own blood.

They should have focused their efforts on making either a successor to the GBA or a dedicated next gen console. Not the DS.

And I fear that the new PlayStation and Xbox will finish them off for good too! Especially seeing as how the gaming theatre is getting a little crowded now...

History has taught us that when there are too many consoles - One has to drop out... And seeing as how Nintendo seem to be faltering at the moment... I think the PSP could be the one which deals the final blow to a company already down on it's knees...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

1. The DS is the next logical step in handheld gaming as far as graphics and power go. If you look at the jump between handheld systems in the past they were always a generation behind (GBC 8-16 bit, GBA 16-32 bit, DS 32-64 bit). If Sony never released the PSP, no one would be complaining about the power of the DS as it follows the trend we were used to. Now granted the PSP is an amazingly powerful system, but if you look at the DS on its own merits (and stop trying to compare each other in every aspect), it's nothing to laugh at.

2. Come back when the PSP actually overtakes the DS in sales. I'm not saying it will or will not happen, but it hasn't happened yet.

3. Can we talk about something new for a change. We are oh so thankful that you brought up the Nintendo is doomed arguement once again. And we are happy that you will soon start a flame war thread between fanboys.

This is in no way saying Nintendo will survive or die, but can we stop trying to predict the future and just enjoy the games while we have them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Munchies879

Your post is filled with more opinion than fact - do you have numbers and/or facts to back up your claim that "the demise of Nintendo is upon us"?

It's pretty obvious that you're not a DS fan, and that's completely fine. But just because you doesn't like it doesn't mean that it will fail and subsequently cause the entire downfall of Nintendo.

I'm actually kind of glad to see that the DS isn't trying to be a clone of the PSP. Variety is good and it's still a little to early to say the DS is dead. Only time will tell...

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh please, I bet people said the same thing when Virtual Boy hit the market. And I think the general population would agree NDS>VB. I enjoy me NDS, its an oddity for sure, but I like it, its not run-of-the-mill system filled with the latest greatest ZOMG processor that can make tons of polygons fly at me, it doesn't need to be. Now if only they would get some good games to the market, thats their biggest downfall. And the fact that it isn't a true IP device. Despite its weaknesses I own one and I plan on buying the new game boy advance 2 when it comes out.

Saying Nintendo will go down cause of the DS is like saying Coca-Cola will go down cause they made Coke 2, or cause Pepsi came out with a new Sprite clone. Maybe one day they will take the road of Sega, but that day is not today or the next 5 years.

That said, the market is indeed flooded with hardware, but its also saturated with consumers. Can it support 3 systems along with their handhelds? Thats anyones guess. We will have to see. Personally I think it can, I don't know many people wth just one of the XBox/GCN/PS2 combos.

Don't we have a billion other threads like this already? Its getting tiresome.
    Run, run, or you'll be well done! -Kefka

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Are you practicing "The Art of Trolling" again by any chance?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default !

ZZZ (x1000 but removed /flack)

<burps, farts, then starts to snore again>

Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Great Puma (Level 12) captain nintendo's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by anagrama

I agree..... Keep your opinions to yourself unless they have

have hard facts behind them. I am not saying this because I

have nintendo in my user name either. Have any hard facts ? then post them.

"until all are one" - Optimus Prime
    Link to collection:
    http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/...der=Collection

R.I.P. Michael "Nepenthean" Collins
    You will not be forgotten.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah... I don't see Nintendo going away anytime soon.

Though I honestly see Sony dominating the next console generation, it's too hard to tell for sure yet how anybody is going to do.
    I go online sometimes, but ... everyone's spelling is really bad, and it's ... depressing.

--Tara from "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"

BEST SITE FOR IMPORTS!
    http://www.play-asia.com/SOap-23-83-pfh-71-99.html

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

Doesn't Nintendo have a few billion dollars in the bank still? What is all this nonsense?

To be quite honest, they will only ever "lose" when they lose money. As long as they make enough to cover R&D and production for games + hardware and then make a profit on top of that, they will not go out of the business - regardless of how big or small their market share is. People seem to forget that it's entirely possible for a company to be profitable with even a lesser share of the market, if they play their cards right.

Conversely, it is also possible to LOSE money while controlling the majority of the market.

So, like everyone else, I ask - where's the proof that Nintendo is losing money? I don't see their stock taking any significant dives.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bah Nintendo will never get out of the game. They're not trying to hard to be number one they just want to be like any rational corp and make tons of freaking money. I'm shure all the current systems are giving Nintendo plenty of cash for each unit sold, unlike say the xbox or the PSP.

Nintendo will never go away, not as long as I' am around I'm shure.
    (Oo (xxx) oO) (Oo (xxx) oO)
    .o xxxxxxxx o . o xxxxxxxx o

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can use the ds as a brick, if someone talks smack on it I throw it said persons head and most likely it still works perfectly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Had the DS actually been developed as a true next gen machine (Like the PSP) then it would have been a lot better I feel.

Instead, we have something with two tiny screens and a slot for old games (But not old-old games)

The PSP is the next evolution in handheld gaming in my eyes. And no way can Nintendo keep up with that unless they pull some kind of rabbit out of their hat fairly soon.

Ok - The DS is powerful enough to be impressive, but they are just falling back into the hole they have been trying to climb out of all thse years...

The only way forward for Nintendo now is to come up with something aimed more at adults. Kids are quite content playing games which don't look too good, but at the end of the day, it's the older generation they should be looking towards seeing as they are the ones who will be buying these products.

The GameBoy will live on, but the PSP will kill the DS off forcing Nintendo to either give up or go back to the drawing board...

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

You've been here for a long time man, haven't you noticed YET that people do not like topics like this. All you're doing is drawing in the flames.

And this topic has been discussed 5 MILLION times before, use the search function and bump an old one if you feel the need to get "fanboy" on us.

I opt for this topic to be locked.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They stated all along an new rabit is already in the hat, and has been for some time. They have always billed the DS as a "third pillar". Why do people always translate "third" as "main"? Why do people think its equivalent to Square's "Final Fantasy". Its experimental, like the VB, but this time they didn't fall on their face, or ruin eye sight.

I don't know what kids you've seen, but every little kid I've met are impressed by latest greatest graphics and fads, reguardless of gameplay. Thats why all these games like the incredibles, and the hulk even get sold.

Bah, I'm replying to a troll. I think I'm the loser.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

PLEASE DO NOT FEED THE TROLL

Thanks

~Kamino

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kamino
    PLEASE DO NOT FEED THE TROLL

Thanks

~Kamino
    Ditto, and +1

~~~GrayFox~~~
    Current thoughts and published articles = http://grayfoxtastical.1up.com/

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

<gauntlet narrator> "Someone fed the troll" </gauntlet narrator>

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Silly me, thinking this post was even serious

{void main()
    int postnum;
    bool dumbtopic;}

postnum ++;
    dumbtopic = 1;
    end;

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ill go ahead with a quick reply.

Nintendo isnt going anywhere YET we will see after the first few years of Revolution.

I luv Nintendo but we all know and see what is happening with the big N lately wether some of us here want to admit it or not.

Everywhere I go I see Gamecubes collecting dust and PS2s constantly sold out and Xboxs sell at a decent rate.
    It is VERY difficult to find Gamecube games used OR new in my area it just isnt popular here at all.
    I mean all you have to do is go to Gamefaqs and look at the planned release list to see that the GC is nearing its end.
    There are fewer and fewer mutli-ports every month that are released on Gamecube PS2 and Xbox seems to be the norm for the majority of game publishers and developers.

I hate to see all these things happening to Nintendo but its THERE right in front of everyones eyes no matter how devoted you may be to the big N and they only have themselves to blame for most of the lack of third party support.
    If they do have all this hard cash in the bank (wich im sure they do at least for now) then why didnt they go to developers and publishers like Rockstar and break out the $$$$ to get games like GTA3,Vice City or even SA ported over to the cube? or any other popular franchises that arent owned by Sony or Microsoft?

Hey MONEY TALKS man and Nintendo has been alienating themselves for years now. We all know this started with the N64 and has only gotten worse since wether it was the decision to stay with cartridge with the 64 or go with mini-DVD on the Gamecube you could also point to the fact that they dont go out of their way to appease or attract 3rd party publishers on a regular basis.

The writing is on the wall and if Nintendo doesnt change their buisness practices and alienating ways they will SOMEDAY travel the road that SEGA built and will be forced to become a 3rd party developer.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nintendo make the most profit on videogames so there not going anywhere in alteast 15 years.

As far as DS goes, its an awesome handheld and will have some of the greatest games of all time once its run its course, just like the PSP will. Its a waste of time comparing them.