Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: The demise of Nintendo is almost upon us!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The DS is not an upgrade... until the Palm software comes out for it. When that happens, it all makes sense as to exactly what Nintendo was trying to do -- corner a market that has always had high-end stuff with low power. My Pocket PC cost $600.00 not too long ago and drains its battery when playing NES games in about forty minutes. Had the DS been released with the Palm OS on it like Nintendo originally said, it would've KICKED Dell's ass. Not just would it be more useful as a Pocket PC, but it would've been so much more powerful and cheaper.

Oh yes, but the PSP is supposed to be Nintendo's main competitor on that front. You know, as much as it is sort of (since the DS is also another game system, after all), it isn't if Nintendo ever brings out the Palm OS.

On top of that, Nintendo has tons of money in the bank. If they started losing money on any of their endeavors, they would drop them like a bad habit -- didn't _exactly_ that happen with the Virtual Boy? Nintendo didn't stick around with it trying to prove it was incredible. They cut their losses. If Nintendo was in such serious jeopardy because the DS was doing so badly for them, they would drop it. As it stands, it has sold millions of consoles, has made Nintendo tons of money and has a lot of interesting software coming out for it soon. Hardly a failure.

So yes, I fed the troll and I'm sorry... but I am really sick of listening to uninformed people take shots at the DS because of some perceived PSP "success." The PSP is successful (although not as successful as Sony expected it to be) but it hasn't wiped the DS off the face of the planet. And it won't, unless Nintendo decides it isn't worth it to them to keep it on the market.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Quote Originally Posted by GarrettCRW
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Wrong
    Step 4:
    Lock thread.
    You forgot to do step 4.
    If this was Off Topic, I would have.

I swear these threads are like watching train wrecks happen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    GarrettCRW
    PSN
    GarrettCRW

Quote Originally Posted by GarrettCRW
    Step 4:
    Lock thread.
    You forgot to do step 4.
    If this was Off Topic, I would have.

I swear these threads are like watching train wrecks happen.
    Maybe you guys should start moving these threads to the Pub.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh, I can derail it, don't you worry about that....

So, who here are cheetos fans?
    Run, run, or you'll be well done! -Kefka

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I always consider the DS an interim product from Nintendo to take whatever market it could away from the PSP. I think Nintendo had intended for their next handheld to be THE successor to the GBA. They've already made it clear they will be doing the GBA 2 soon enough. I suspect we will see that next year.

Nintendo can get stronger, but they need to stop relying on such few key titles. As much as I always want a mario game on each platform, I don't want them to keep relying on them.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

OmGZzZ!!111!!!Eleven!!11!!Elf!
    ThA dS eEEz thA DooOmdD
    aNd tHa PeeSp is daH aLL/\/\1GhTy !!111!!
    x_x

Another week another "nintendo goes down"-thread
    *yawns*

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

... haven't you noticed YET that people do not like topics like this.
    If this was actually true there would be all of zero extra posts in here. You know, like there are for the threads that people *actually* don't like...

Nintendo *is* doomed. I love my DS, but I wish I had a PSP instead. Sony knows how to market it self about a zillion times better than Nintendo ever will.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

[quote="Nature Boy" Sony knows how to market it self about a zillion times better than Nintendo ever will.[/quote]

that's not entirely true.
    Formerly letsallgameon

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

DS is going down, Nintendo is doomed, Sony owns our souls, We must sacrifice our firstborn to Ken Kuratagi...

Whatever. Can we never have one of these threads again?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Double post.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Avatard
    I don't know what kids you've seen, but every little kid I've met are impressed by latest greatest graphics and fads, reguardless of gameplay. Thats why all these games like the incredibles, and the hulk even get sold.

Bah, I'm replying to a troll. I think I'm the loser.
    Quote Originally Posted by ubersaurus

Dude, Nintendo could have a lineup of Resident Evil, Grand Theft Auto, Metal Gear Solid, and fucking MANHUNT, and people would still claim they're "kiddy".

I've met many college students and women who love their current lineup, and I don't know too many adults who give a shit if has Mario jumping around or the Master Chief.
    I would agree +a million. kids especially like the Hype. Because one "cool" person says that the PS2 or any system is "cool" they will flock to be one of the "Cool ones" (mostly the youner gen, High and Middle Schools). It happen with the NES, Genesis, and TurboGrafx Days and its even bigger now.
    In the free/libre software
    movement, we develop
    software that respects users'
    freedom, so we can and you can
    escape from software that
    doesn't --Richard Stallman

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This thread is none sense, call me a fanboy right away but lets look at the facts from a general point of view. First, Nintendo is following the path as it SHOULD in terms of generation (GBC 8-16,GBA 32,DS 64) in the handheld division. But the PSP comes out with around 128 bit and skips an entire gen and adds everything it can possible can to kill nintendos portable market (If it were to bring a portable playstation ONE that would be a different story)- and you still think nintendo is dumb and their going under. If nintendo were to release a high end Game boy with graphics as the PSP, you would probably think nintendo is just trying to save themselves and still bash it for doing everything it can to save itself. These kind of threads or getting old, lets just all wait for the software and see whom will win this war.

Second, stop hating on the DS for it not being a PSP;
    Its like Nintendo just launched the N64 and Sony came out of no where with the PS2 (dvds ? umds ?) - its clear whos got better hardware but what about the software, as of now the psp got the upper hand. But isnt it intresting how the DS "N64" is still holding its own against something like the PSP "PS2" ???

Finally, dont get me wrong, I like the PSP - im getting one next week **hopefully**
    - Mitch_Naz @ M.A -
    " Now you're playing with Power"
    www.freewebs.com/mitchs-arcade

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I'll feed the troll....till it bursts...mwahahahahaa!

Anyway, the parent obviously has a liking for the PSP thanks to the positive description they gave. The DS, as someone mentioned, is third pillar. Even though I think it's a conspiracy to see how well it takes off and then crowning it the next GameBoy, we have to go with what the big N says. Besides, it's still pretty dang new so don't discount it yet. And no I don't have one, so I'm not speaking out of bias.

As for the "kiddy" image...I think people who label Nintendo as such should just grow up. I have yet to find someone who can give me an honest and decent description on what makes a system "kiddy" or not. When *I* think kiddy, I think games only 7 year-olds and younger can handle. Dora the Explorer, Sesame Street, etc....that's kiddy as it's geared toward that age. Nintendo's games, while containing cartoon characters, are geared toward everyone, kinda like an episode of Bugs Bunny which knows no age.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM
    As for the "kiddy" image...I think people who label Nintendo as such should just grow up. I have yet to find someone who can give me an honest and decent description on what makes a system "kiddy" or not. When *I* think kiddy, I think games only 7 year-olds and younger can handle. Dora the Explorer, Sesame Street, etc....that's kiddy as it's geared toward that age. Nintendo's games, while containing cartoon characters, are geared toward everyone, kinda like an episode of Bugs Bunny which knows no age.
    Kiddy image or not, deserved or undeserved, N is in trouble, in big trouble. The GC goes very slowly the road of third party support of the N64; in the last DP Wire there were more than ten releases listed for the PS2 and Xbox, one (ONE!) for the GC. Looking at release lists in the last year, it gets slowly worse and worse. Sales figures for games, third party support, hardware sales, harsh economic facts tell us all one thing.The image problem is there, no matter as a result of the software or hardware sales or the cycle of both.

The DS lost already the race before it really began. I said it back then, and I say it again, the dual screen -- sold as "innovation" - - was a desperate reaction of N which realized that they cannot compete with the PSP. They looked for another market within the game industry, not for the traditional handheld market. Less power sold by PR as emphasizing gameplay and innovation mean in reality less sales. Gameplay and innovation is not restricted to the underpowered systems, they will come automatically to the most established hardware, and in doubt the more powerful system will win.

In one year there will be a 50/50 marketshare in the handheld industry between Sony and N at the expense of N. Sony 'matured' the handheld games which means more mature gamers will flock to the PSP; they will expand the demographics of gamers; a good portion will be the so far non-handheld gamers, Sony will win over new customers. The marketshare won't be a zero-sum game, but it will come at the cost of N who will loose a good portion of handheld-gamers.

All the hints given in interviews by Iwata and people from NOA about the "Revolution" indicate a very similar strategy. No competition for Sony and MS anymore, a less powerful system, innovation and gameplay comes first, we want to appeal to the hardcore gamers AND non-gamers. (if they manage that, they will be on the level of Aristotle.

It is basically the good-bye of N from the traditional console market for the next generation. For me that is clear for months now. N looks for another market in the game industry. They are not competitive anymore in the traditional market.

Sad, but reality. This isn't speculation, no fanboy babble, it is the writing on the wall.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

finally!!! i was waiting for confirmation Nintendo was doomed before i started collecting GC titles x_x
    if you can read this congratulations!! you can read

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ernster
    Nintendo make the most profit on videogames so there not going anywhere in alteast 15 years.
    Maybe on planet Saturn, not on planet Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernster
    As far as DS goes, its an awesome handheld and will have some of the greatest games of all time once its run its course, just like the PSP will. Its a waste of time comparing them.
    Consumers already compare them. Not a lot of them own two handhelds...and even if they do, they buy one handhead much later than the first one; which means, you enter the cycle of hardware sold and games made for the system; not good for the 'second' system.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by lendelin
    WORDS ABOUT NINTENDO GETTING OUT OF THE MAINSTREAM GAMING MARKET.
    Sad, but reality. This isn't speculation, no fanboy babble, it is the writing on the wall.
    Why is that sad? Some great, real innovation could come out of it.

We've been having this great conversation in the Off-Topic area about punk rock. Punk, as a movement started in the late 70s because people were tired of the big money, low-substance music that was being overproduced and crammed down people's throats. Most people, who weren't really die hard music fans, were still going for Yes and the Eagles, but other people wanted something more, something that came from the heart. So they started making their OWN music, and saying to hell with how much money they had behind it, or how polished it sounded. It ended up changing the world of music entirely for the better.

If Nintendo drops out of the mainstream market, which is saturated with overly-violent, low-innovation first person shooters and GTA clones, maybe we'll get something DIFFERENT for once. Maybe we'll get something BETTER. Maybe all the high-end technology is taking too much of developers time and effort to deal with coming up from anything new, and that's why we now have sequel after mindless sequel, and the games never get any better (assuming their predecessors were any good in the first place).

Personally, I want something new from the ground up, and I already feel that the DS is giving it to me. Even if Yoshi's Touch and Go is really just Gumshoe revisited, bear in mind that Gumshoe hasn't been revisited for 20 years, and DESERVES to be expanded upon and fully realized. What the hell am I gonna get with a PSP? The same old console games that I'm dissatisfied with? What are they gonna cram on those 1.8 gigabit discs? More of the stupid CG that's ruined gaming to begin with? More hacky-BS voice acting?

I may sound like a fanboy here, but I actually think Sony has the best of the 128-bit consoles. However, I really do see the potential for something truly new and interesting coming from the big N in a couple years. And penis-sizing over system specifications isn't going to change my mind with regards to this issue. The DS, by design and not by processing capabilities, does stuff that the PSP doesn't, and I applaud Nintendo for stepping away from all the hype and nonsense.

Thanks for reading my opinion. Flame away.

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

First i must say i am starting to dislike these "NINTENDO IS DOOMED" threads as well.

And now for something other than that nonsense.

I don't really understand why people applaud the DS and its palm accessories, saying they are happy it can do so much more than play games, yet sit and lament other game systems for offering something else "extra".

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cmosfm
    You've been here for a long time man, haven't you noticed YET that people do not like topics like this. All you're doing is drawing in the flames.

And this topic has been discussed 5 MILLION times before, use the search function and bump an old one if you feel the need to get "fanboy" on us.

I opt for this topic to be locked.
    I totally agree here. THis has been done and done and done. Give it a break. There are other topics to discuss...
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    "I seek strength, not to be greater than by brother, but to fight my greatest enemy - myself!"
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Ozyr's Odyssey2 Archive!

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

How many times we gotta beat this topic to death?
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)