Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: anyone heard of Game Collector?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would imagine a serious collector would want a strong export/report function. The game script for AMC features an extremely feature-rich report designer. Just to let you know. Don't fall for Game Collector, just don't!

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

$40?!

Free, sure, I'll go check it out, been wanting a decent prog like this, but to pay $40? Fark that.
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Considering people don't like paying 40 bucks for Collector, it might be worth noting AMC is actually FREE. Has a huge community, lots of scripts, mods and templates.

A must have for all collectors

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

Is AMC PC-only, or does it work on the Mac too?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

PC only. Sorry

For anyone wanting to learn more, here are some essential links.

Ant Movie Catalog - The main homepage of the movie cataloging software.

Screenshots - Some great looking screenshots of the program.

Game mod for AMC forum thread

But, if you're just waiting to get started with it, the essential download link to the mod. No previous installation required.

Download

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I will check out AMC etc. Personally, I didn't agree with the payment of $40 but in fairness to the developers I have had in excess of five free upgrades (not patches) adding things like thumbnail views, DS logos (on its release) and a collection status (which is really useful - you add as many games as you can find and then apply a status of in collection, not in collection, wanted or for sale). It is amazing how useful that is.

On top of that, the game loan feature (although it sounds to sad to talk about) actually allows people to lend titles from me without me having to experience that shudder you get from knowing the game is never coming back and that most people view the level of attachment you exhibit as odd.

In answer to a couple of points:

- the lack of titles being in the system is irrevevant as titles are manually added. Logos are sometimes missing but they do get added.

- the robbing of data from websites doesn't really affect me as I hate the clutter that seems to come with importing game data fromt he internet. I prefer clean entries (take up no space).

- speed I don't think is a problem (i have 4500 titles logged with around 1000 gifs and jpgs and the whole thing is fairly instant).

I think these things are always going to be down to personal choice as some collector's (me included) appreciate seeing an item on my list as much as on my shelf....

mark

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mark1bdi
    ...the robbing of data from websites doesn't really affect me...
    Really? It certainly affects me. It's so nice that I can work all day compiling data so other people can take it for free. That's not even the part that really pisses me off though. Gosh Golly, I just love how they steal my descriptions and reviews (and my colleagues) and don't bother giving credit to the individual authors.

They are real princes over there.

-Cav

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I'm liking Gamecollector myself but will have to check AMC out shortly!
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RottenToTheGore
    PSN
    TheSuperSadist

Quote Originally Posted by Cav
    Really? It certainly affects me. It's so nice that I can work all day compiling data so other people can take it for free. That's not even the part that really pisses me off though. Gosh Golly, I just love how they steal my descriptions and reviews (and my colleagues) and don't bother giving credit to the individual authors.

-Cav
    Are you from Allgameguide or MobyGames?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm
    Hello VACRMH, you have just received 666 Meseta from Oobgarm.
    The following comment was made: HAIL SATAN

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

-Cav
    Hmmm and I thought that All Game Guide was a site that anyone could use for *free* gosh I didn't realize that I was supposed to pay.

They have what are called advertisers like Game Stop who pay them. When we go to the site (even through Game Collector) they get what are called hits (those are good advertisers like those).

I had never heard of All Game Guide before I got game collector. And I have clicked on the "Purchase Game Link" several times.

If All Game Guide wants them to stop I'm sure they will stop as they did with Moby Games.

Are you from Allgameguide or MobyGames?
    Exactly. And as for Moby Games they have sooooo many holes in their listings it's ridiculous.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slip81
    Looks like a cool app. I'm definately gonna check out their website. Since the company is collectorz.com maybe they'll also have something that catalogues DVDs and comics, which I really need.
    Try out DVD Profiler. I've been using it for years and love it.

http://www.intervocative.com

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by THATinkjar
    PC only. Sorry

For anyone wanting to learn more, here are some essential links.

Ant Movie Catalog - The main homepage of the movie cataloging software.

Screenshots - Some great looking screenshots of the program.

Game mod for AMC forum thread

But, if you're just waiting to get started with it, the essential download link to the mod. No previous installation required.

Download
    I downloaded this and am trying it out. It seems pretty cool. The only problem I'm having is when I search for info on a game it says searching Moby Games and then always comes back blank. I was even using a pretty straight foward game "Combat".

Anyway I'm going to mess with this a bit more as it seems interesting.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had a quick look at DVD Profiler. But I wasn't happy with it. It was way too tailored and fixed to movies. It has to be something somewhat intended for gaming.

FooFighter: I didn't use any of the scripts to contact websites to retreive information. I did it all manually. What I would say is had to the Scripts forum, people are writing retrival scripts for all sorts of game websites and whatnot. And you can always ask for some help.

All the best.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Answering two posts at once here.

"Are you from Allgameguide or MobyGames?"

Im from All Game Guide.

"Exactly."

Not sure what that means, but that's no secret.

"Hmmm and I thought that All Game Guide was a site that anyone could use for *free* gosh I didn't realize that I was supposed to pay."

You can. Enjoy. But I guess it's too much trouble to get that last little piece of data that tells you who bothered to write the description. Compiled the data, etc... Also, just curious...because you say that it's "a site that anyone could use for *free*.." do you think that the data can be used for just anything? Where is the line drawn?

"They (All Game) have what are called advertisers like Game Stop who pay them."

Bzzzzzzt! Wrong.

"I had never heard of All Game Guide before I got game collector. And I have clicked on the "Purchase Game Link" several times."

Thanks. We appreciate it. Doesn't take away from the fact that writers want credit for their work. But since we're some faceless corporation I guess we're fair game. The reality is that we are a really small company comprised of people who really love what they do and don't get paid very well for it.

Plus, I guess if it's on the Internet then it can be used for anything. It's just a matter of time until collectorz.com figure out how to strip Digital Press of their Collector's Guide data, easter eggs, online rarity guide, reviews, etc.. And they should have every right, shouldn't they? Y'know...since it's freely available. Why stop there? Earl Green's site can be mined. If I recall correctly, people were taking scans Earl had put up on his and using them to sell shirts, etc.. on eBay. They should be able to do that, right? Since his site is one that anyone can use for *free*.

Just by some slim chance, I don't suppose collectorz.com could provide a product pre-loaded with box scans, original descriptions, and UPCs, number of players, screenshots, genres, etc.. that they've researched themselves, could they? Naw.

And to be honest, I have no idea what All Game Guide is going to do about it. Probably nothing. That's for the higher-ups to deal with. But for the little guy who has to sit in this building day after day, year after year collecting that data and writing the descriptions, I guess a quick line of credit is asking too much.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Ok, downloaded from the download link, is that the program you install or you gotta get something else??

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The file you downloaded should extract into a folder. Nothing to install, no mess left behind. Easy as pie to backup

Inside the folder you extract two should be two executable files. One is the report designer for highly customizable reports (exporting and printing) and the other is the main program itself. Goodluck!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I guess that script error that comes up first time you load is a one time thing? I gotta play around with this later, looks a bit complicated then again I'm in a bit of a hurry right now. lol

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If I remember correctly, its an error from trying to find a file that doesn't exist - at least not in the location it is looking for. Once you make a new catalog, and save it, it will open that by default on load. So that error will disappear

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RottenToTheGore
    PSN
    TheSuperSadist

Answering two posts at once here.

"Are you from Allgameguide or MobyGames?"

Im from All Game Guide.

"Exactly."

Not sure what that means, but that's no secret.
    Just so you know, I also have no idea why he said exactly

It's a shame that they would do something like that, and now I can see why Mobygames got away from them. Do you think someone could create an agreement with them? Maybe something like a link on collectorz.com's website... but I will admit if I was in your shoes and I wasn't getting any credit at all, i'd be pissed too.

I love the site, keep up the good work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm
    Hello VACRMH, you have just received 666 Meseta from Oobgarm.
    The following comment was made: HAIL SATAN

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

The whole thing about stealing the info from sites like AGG and MobyGames bugs me too. Although it's an interesting product, that fact alone is a complete turn-off.