Thread: There's Something About Space Fury

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default There's Something About Space Fury

When I came across DP.com for the first time, I was instantly lured in by the flash Space Fury opening. Space Fury holds a special place in my heart as the first shooter I ever played (at the tender age of 4 on my Colecovision). It was the beginning of a long affair with fast-paced twitch gameplay. I was just curious as to what fond memories the other members of this board have with Space Fury.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

*bites lip but lip deflects the attack*

I don't like the game. I like the ColecoVision version even LESS than the arcade version. But I really love the character, that pompous ass. Reminds me a bit of ... well, ME. The sound byte from ColecoVision was great too, and as much as I didn't enjoy playing it, it's always fun to see that commander and hear that wicked theme.

So, I would have to say that my favorite experience with Space Fury was when Kevin Staszkow wore the commander costume last year. I had a mask specially designed for CGE and our 10-year anniversary celebration. He had to be led around most of the time because it was next-to-impossible to see through that thing and completely impossible to HEAR. Still, made for some great pictures.

http://www.digitpress.com/images/cge2k1/cg2k1284.jpg

http://www.digitpress.com/images/cge2k1/jg325.jpg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey Joe,

The Space Fury animation and sound bit that plays when you hit the site always leaves me hanging. Why did you cut the last music piece from it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For me, seeing the arcade version of Space Fury for the first time was the most fond memory that I had. It was the first time that I'd seen COLOR VECTORS used in a game. (And, no, I hadn't seen Tempest or any of the other color vector games for a while after that.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Across the street from my old high school , next to the A & P, was a small store with several machines in the back, including Space Fury. I loved the color vector graphics, and that Alien Commander made losing easier to take ("...you were an amusing opponent.").

When I saw the artist's illustration of Space Fury for the ColecoVision, I was really looking forward to it. Unfortunately, when I played it, I was greatly disappointed; there wasn't any attempt to capture the look of the arcade version (bricks?!), the color choices were ugly as could be, and, worst of all, whoever programmed the game clearly didn't know much about the arcade version!

If all 4 pieces of an alien came together, it would drift about in a straight line, shooting fireballs. In the CV version, it would do this, although it would initially tumble toward you. So far, so good.
    If only 1, 2, or 3 pieces made it to the junction point, then, in the arcade version, IT WOULD CHASE YOU LIKE A GUIDED MISSILE, GETTING FASTER AND FASTER. Not so in the CV version; it acted just like the completed alien, minus the fireballs. As a result, in order to beat the game, all you had to do was keep 2 incompleted aliens on the screen, and then just make sure that every time a 3rd appeared, you shot one piece. Once it came together, shoot one of the 3 incompleted aliens, and then repeat the procedure (there were never more than 3 aliens onscreen at any one time).
    A number of 1983 CV games left something to be desired, including the incompleted Victory. The CBS version is supposed to be better; does this include the Quarks being released, and the graphics?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Maybe I have something to say here

Well, CV Space Fury was one of the first video games I played when a was a kid.

Last year, I was thinking about what I have done in Coleco scene with the big release of Miss Space Fury : the big green alien face in the rom, the dp logo on the title screen, etc. Well, reading the reviews was something very special for me because I wasn't able to go to the cgexpo (like this year) and I'm was very happy to know that the game was really appreciate.

I still don't know what happend with the two Ms Space Fury carts on ebay during this month. I'm not sure I really want to know if the carts (on ebay) was sell for a higher price than the first one last year or not.

If you don't like CV Space Fury, I hope you like CV Ms Space Fury!

Take care!

Daniel B.
    Long time no see. Still playing my coleco games?
    http://newcoleco.dev-fr.org

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Trust me, Daniel. Ms. Space Fury IS one of the 10 best ColecoVision games ever. I STILL go back and play it, the two player game is addictive and very competitive. You ROCK.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default I agree

You guys don't seem to have a high opinion of the CV Space Fury. Since it was my first shooter ever, I didn't have anything to compare it to at the time. Hmmm...I guess ignorance is bliss.I have to agree with Joe, though: Ms Space Fury is an awesome title, and even though I prefer the original, nothing beats the two-player mode of MSF.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

@Aswald: The CBS version of CV Victory is probably my favorite CV game of all. Yep, it had the quarks, lots of music, and pretty good graphics, too! (The death explosion is somewhat reminiscent of Sonic the Hedgehog dropping all his rings.)

When I finally got my hands on the MAME version, I didn't find it nearly as much fun. The variable speed just made the ship much too difficult to control (as opposed to the CV version, where there's only one speed).
    ________
    HAWAII MARIJUANA DISPENSARY
    Last edited by J'orfeaux; 04-01-2011 at 05:11 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Hello, Jorpho!

Hmmm...I know what the "regular" version of CV Victory looks like; how does the CBS version's graphics compare? On the regular version, they were...well, shoddy and crude-looking. Any screenshots? Your comments make me most eager to find out!

newcoleco- Since I've never been able to get an emulator running here, I've never had a chance to play Ms. Space Fury- but, last year on CNN, I saw it briefly in action; it looks better even than the screenshot!
    This year I hope to be able to order your Bejeweled. What extra options did you add?
    Keep up the good work!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

my story is almost identical to tetsu's- it must have been the first shooter i played (or one of them) and i was prob about 4 also.... the game never struck me as bad when i was a kid.... now if i looked back im sure i wouldnt like it- but what the hell do adults know anyway?
    all i know is that i loved that game, and all the other dumb colecovision games.... i even played frantic freddy and super cross force for DAYS.
    yeah, thats prob whats wrong with me now

willie

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Why do so many people dislike Frantic Freddy? It's got good graphics, the sound is certainly decent enough, and the 4 different kinds of gameplay are really good (especially #3, with the cats).

Then again, I like Space Panic, so what do I know...wait a minute; Space Panic and its computer incarnations were very popular back then!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Remeber the Alamo

Let's not forget 2600 Pac-Man...I know some people who pull it out and play it despite its high "suck" factor. Playability is in the eye of the beholder...