Thread: Atari XE power supply specs

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Atari XE power supply specs

I found an XE base unit at the Salvation Army today at lunch with no power supply. I'm having a hard time finding specs for it. Is there any other power supply that'll work for it? By chance I also happened to find an Atari 800XL at lunch today w/ PS and hook-ups. BTW there was also dual Atari floppy drives there for $6 CAN would ahve grabbed them too but I had too much stuff to carry already. Are they worth a trip back?

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

If you have any disk games (or plan on getting some) definitely go back for the drives. What model were they?

I personally think the drives are gold. They've got parts in them that are hard to replace, and since my 8-bit collection is 99% disk games it's important that I have a working drive. Which is why I have three of them currently (all 1050s) If it were me I would've picked them up over the systems (mind you I already have one example of each 8 bit (400/800XL/130XE)).

As for the power supply: you can test the XE with the 800 XL power supply that you got. I'm pretty sure I don't bother swapping the power supply when I switch machines (the 800 XL has the best keyboard, but the 130XE has more memory, which makes copying faster).
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks NB. Only thing is I just noticed the power supply that I got with the 800 isn't even for it! It's an Atari PS but it is a standard plug (looks like a 5200 PS) and is model # C017945. Any idea what that's for? The other parts in the bag 'o stuff it came with are a Blue mpp 1150 printer interface and cables that apparently go with that. The drives were both 1050s. I WILL be making a trip back tomorrow. Now I still need to find a PS.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

If I had to guess I'd say it was a 1050 power supply. I'll compare the code (if I think of it) to my stuff tonight.

You can get power supplies from 4jays, but it's pretty expensive being in Canada what with the dollar and all. You might luck out in an auction, or you might just have to bite the bullet and wait before you can use your 800XL or your XE.

Good snag anyway though I'd say. I love the Atari computers more than any other classic console (except maybe the VCS ).

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Those are some nice finds. When I first read it though, I thought you said you saw a 'DUAL FLOPPY DRIVE' like the unreased Atari 815!! Still nice finds thou. I'll take anything I can find for the 8-bits nowadays! Your XE can use the same power supply as the XL line, but as NB said you got a 1050 disk drive power supply. Actually the CO17945 P/S can also run the 400/800 line and several of the peripherals. 4jays and Best both sell replacement power supplies for the XL/XE line, but they ARE on the expensive side. Your best bet would be to camp outside this thrift and keep your eyes peeled for the correct P/S. It might show up in the next couple if days anyway.

Or look on ebay, although shipping alone could hurt you depending on where the seller is located & it's weight.

And when you say you got the base unit, do you mean you didn't get the keyboard? If you didn't you might need one of these as well, as some games, even carts require buttons, like 1 and 2, to be pressed in order to start the game. But I use my XE most of the time without the keyboard. As long as you keep the XL around it shouldn't really matter I guess.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Your right, I will probably be camping out looking for that power supply. It's nice that they can at least use the same one so that when I do find one it'll be good for both. You heard right, I didn't get the keyboard with the XE base. It wasn't there. Maybe it will turn up though. It's funny that I found both of those at two different thrifts on the same day. I also picked up a SMS base and because it didn't have the other parts they gave it to me for $4 CAN. That's like $2.50 US. Tested it out tonight and it works great.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Persistence pays off! When I went back today the XE power supply was on the shelf and the two 1050 drives are now mine :-)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

Very sweet! Enjoy!!!

BTW: You inspired me to check out the thrift near my new place last night. I came away with some 5.25" floppies which was a great score. Thanks!