Page 107 of 109 FirstFirst ... 75797103104105106107108109 LastLast
Results 2,121 to 2,140 of 2162

Thread: What is your most RECENT import? Post often!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

That helps a lot! Thanks! I don't have a Japanese Super Famicom to play them on (I only have a SNES mini which I've never even tried out, I have no idea where it even is) but I can at least try them out with emulation.

They had multiple copies of Romancing Saga 1 & 2, which I don't think would be easy to play without the ability to read the language. The booth had probably 30 to 40 cartridges. If I hadn't spent over a hundred bucks at the supermarket an hour before, I might have bought more than four cartridges.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    That helps a lot! Thanks! I don't have a Japanese Super Famicom to play them on (I only have a SNES mini which I've never even tried out, I have no idea where it even is) but I can at least try them out with emulation.

They had multiple copies of Romancing Saga 1 & 2, which I don't think would be easy to play without the ability to read the language. The booth had probably 30 to 40 cartridges. If I hadn't spent over a hundred bucks at the supermarket an hour before, I might have bought more than four cartridges.
    No problem. Romancing Saga 1-3 are pretty cool, but the language barrier is very much a thing there. They do have english patches, though.

If you don't mind modifying your SNES, you can just take a pair of needle nose pliers and pull off the plastic tabs that stop the import carts from being able to be inserted. However, if you're like my brother, who doesn't care to modify his SNES Jr because they're harder to find, you can do the same to a Game Genie and use it as a pass through cart.

I always get a kick out of trying oddball cheap imports. Hope you find some fun! Itadaki Street 2 can be a real riot of a board game if you're into it, and is pretty playable if you don't mind memorizing a few menus. Only the venture cards provide some confusion, but even then it's fairly easy to tell what's going on. Anyhow, good luck!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

When I acquire games which I have no idea of their title, I just search the catalog number and one or two keywords, like the platform or the publisher or developer.
    Like searching "SFVC-12 SFC" shows me it's called "Itadaki Street 2 Neon Sign ha Bara Iro ni"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Actually, that never occurred to me. I have found a few imports here and there over the years but it never popped into my head to search the numbers like that. Thanks for the tip!

I don't really have the enthusiasm to go game hunting like I did in the past. I've found consoles and games from Japan and Europe many times, but those days are over now. Old games are just a commodity for people to buy and sell, there's nothing left in the wild that eBay speculators haven't snapped up. Even the old video gaming stalls at local flea markets that have been around for years have been closing down, since it's easier to sell online. I used to jump at the chance to go flea market shopping, now I can't even bother.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Though it doesn't compare to flea markets and garage sales, I still enjoy browsing eBay for unfamiliar potentially interesting games at reasonable prices. Japanese Playstation is still pretty good for this. Shipping costs have made a big impact but I pick up games I've never seen before (after doing some research on the title) for <$20 every so often, and I've yet to buy a complete dud.
    That's not to say there aren't tons of games I'd not seen before but then researched the title or the developer's pedigree then taken a pass on.
    Most recently I took a notice to Bomb Boat... there's hardly any info about it online. I'm hopeful it will be a fun PacMan derivative. Except that one wasn't "cheap". There are new copies on Amazon US (searching the Japanese title) for like $30-40, but that seems a bit steep for a "Super Lite" bargain game - it's the kind of game I'd expect to find used copies of for <$10. I can guess it was a late release and had limited print run. Anyhow.. still lots of interesting stuff to stumble upon out there.
    Last edited by Koa Zo; 09-22-2017 at 03:09 AM.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Koa Zo View Post
    Though it doesn't compare to flea markets and garage sales, I still enjoy browsing eBay for unfamiliar potentially interesting games at reasonable prices. Japanese Playstation is still pretty good for this. Shipping costs have made a big impact but I pick up games I've never seen before (after doing some research on the title) for <$20 every so often, and I've yet to buy a complete dud.
    That's not to say there aren't tons of games I'd not seen before but then researched the title or the developer's pedigree then taken a pass on.
    Most recently I took a notice to Bomb Boat... there's hardly any info about it online. I'm hopeful it will be a fun PacMan derivative. Except that one wasn't "cheap". There are new copies on Amazon US (searching the Japanese title) for like $30-40, but that seems a bit steep for a "Super Lite" bargain game - it's the kind of game I'd expect to find used copies of for <$10. I can guess it was a late release and had limited print run. Anyhow.. still lots of interesting stuff to stumble upon out there.
    Oh, yeah. PS1 still has a lot of interesting uncharted territory to dig through, where about all there is is a catalog number and maybe a Japanese YouTube clip of an opening movie. I've dug on that a bunch these last couple of years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I've never bought anything off eBay myself. For me it was always the thrill of the hunt, I'd go out on my day off and come home with a couple of bags of games and various weirdness. I've done things like leave early on a Saturday and spend 12 hours driving across east Texas, hitting every thrift, flea market, or game store in every town. But people have become aware of how much fun those retro games are, and nobody's donating old stuff like they used to. The experience of searching for games was so much fun for me years ago, now there's nothing to find. Sure, I can look on eBay but it's just not the same thrill.

I have bought games online in the past. When Rakuten started selling internationally I did have fun buying a bunch of PC-Engine games without knowing what on Earth I was buying because of the language barrier. I bought a bunch of random cheap games and a few more interesting looking costly ones. By the time I was ready to buy more, Rakuten was essentially stripped bare of PC-Engine stuff and most retro games. Now you search for "old video games" there and you only find T-shirts and PS4 games. I kind of feel like my hobby has been taken away from me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Not a game, but game related... one of the more interesting imports I've picked up. A JPN Super Famicom SF2 HyperFighting Chun Li store standee display

About 2-3 years ago they released some model kits of the popular Japanese arcade cabinet made by SEGA called the Astro City. This machine came onto the scene in 1993 and became one of the more iconic cabinets, so of course I had to pick up a bunch of these model kits (about twenty of them!). Fast forward to today, got a 21st model kit but had a Raspberry Pi, LCD screen, sound card, and speaker put inside. Loaded with lots of vertical games and playable via bluetooth controller haha.

__________________________________________________ ___

[ Severely Outdated Game Collection Pics ]
    [ My Multi-screen MADNESS!! ]

9. The Following User Says Thank You to StealthLurker For This Useful Post:

Nz17 (04-13-2018)

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Aww man, that's great!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

I imported a UK copy of Sonic Riders for PC. It's quite good, though the slowdown from the console version is still present.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Yes,pinball arcade season II counts as a import since it's physical release was europe only.Also pickup a disc only copy of soul star for the sega-cd,japanese version.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Tron 2.0 For This Useful Post:

Nz17 (05-30-2018)

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

Recently, I finished the work I was doing on the upcoming Hardcore Gaming 101 book, the Guide to Retro Horror Games (due out this October), so as a reward, I decided to treat myself to something appropriate.

Larger pic

Larger pic

TE Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Kirby No Pinball

I been obsessed with Japanese titles ever since I found out that you can play them on US Gameboys like original, color and advance. My last one that just came in is Kirby No Pinball. Very nice and fun little game.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

I don't know about you but I would find a game where Kirby isn't allowed to play pinball a bit sad and depressing

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

One of the more pricey mega-cd games but i found one finally i was willing to pay for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

I just ordered these - they haven't got here yet:

Last edited by Natty Bumppo; 08-01-2018 at 12:50 PM.
    When I come home from a long day in Hell, there's nothing I'd rather reach for than a fire-brewed bottle of Styx Beer. Made from the filthiest waters from our own River Styx. Styx Beer is a third more toxic than any other regular beer. The worst beer - the filthiest beer - the deadliest beer. It's Styx Beer!

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Even though my PC-FX is still buried in my closet and I haven't played it in years, I got the itch to add to my collection and picked up a cheap copy of Tonari no Princess Rolfee:

I think I'm now fewer than 20 games away from having the full library? I got the "big" ones, like Zenki, Zeroigar, and Chip-chan Kick, but there are still some pretty pricey and/or difficult to find games among what I'm lacking.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

I have a pcfx with about 10 games. A really big drawback for me is the lack of extension cables for the controller.
    When I come home from a long day in Hell, there's nothing I'd rather reach for than a fire-brewed bottle of Styx Beer. Made from the filthiest waters from our own River Styx. Styx Beer is a third more toxic than any other regular beer. The worst beer - the filthiest beer - the deadliest beer. It's Styx Beer!

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

why don't you extend power and av cables and set it closer to you?