Page 2 of 109 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your most RECENT import? Post often!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by DrWily008
    Popful Mail Demo for PC Engine

This is the original verison of the "anime styled" action RPG.
    You sure that wasn't the NEC PC-9801 version?

Oh yeah, my most recent was a minty nice copy of Iga Ninden Gaoh, also a PC-Engine CD-ROM game. Very smooth soundtrack, not too stunning but listenable, yes. For some reason Magic Engine doesn't want to play the sound (I've got ForceASPI installed, wonder if that did it?), so I'll have to mess around with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DrWily008
    PSN
    DrWily008

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    Popful Mail Demo for PC Engine

This is the original verison of the "anime styled" action RPG.
    You sure that wasn't the NEC PC-9801 version?
    I don't know why I didn't clarify...it is for the PC Engine DUO, not just the PC Engine. If there was an earlier version I didn't know about it.

Apple (Level 5) Lord Contaminous's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Akumajou Dracula XX/Castlevania Dracula Xj (Super Famicom)

I finally got it!!!!

After 11 failed attempts at it on ebay.

Right in the middle. Before, I made a "Reserved for ADXX" sign and put it in the middle. But now I got the void filled.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DrWily008
    PSN
    DrWily008

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Contaminous

I finally got it!!!!

Right in the middle. Before, I made a "Reserved for ADXX" sign and put it in the middle. But now I got the void filled.
    Nice haul! Was that all in one buy or period of time?

Please let us know how they are after you've gotten a chance to play them! Post it here.

ServBot (Level 11) Lemmy Kilmister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Belmont
    I was surprised that Kaze moved so slowly when walking with him. I would often find myself forward flipping or jumping through the level instead of walking on foot, which would've likely taken me twice as long.
    You can make Kaze run by holding diagonally up and left/right depending what diretion you want him to run in. Though it's kind of too late for that info now, isn't it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Contaminous

I finally got it!!!!

Nice haul! Was that all in one buy or period of time?

Please let us know how they are after you've gotten a chance to play them! Post it here.
    No, I've had most of the SFC games over the past few years. Got the Super Famicom system 2 or 3 months ago. Just that ADXX was my most recent addition.

Also got a PC Engine Duo-R system in yesterday. It's "D-Litized". Hucard region barriers broken. Lemme tell ya, it's great to be back in the PC Engine/Turbo scene. I mean now that I have Dracula X Rondo of Blood, I can shift my interest toward Japanese Hucards.

OK back to the subject at hand, here's some small comments on my most recent SFC game.

Akumajou Dracula XX. While this Castlevania gets alot of bum raps especially by people who experienced Rondo of Blood, I still love this game. I know Richter moves slower and the frames of his walking animation are a little too fast. But I did notice that when you do more jumping, it moves at Rondo speed.

For the fact that 95% of the game's music came from Rondo of Blood, I personally think the tunes sound pretty good for being on cartridge. As long as it's note for note.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Well, it's been a couple months since I got it, but my most recently acquired import is Radiata Stories for PS2.

The story revolves around the hero Jack, a young boy who gets wrapped up in a war taking place in a world in which the humans and the non-humans are enemies. Everything gets more complicated with the addition of dragon spirits protecting each race. The overall plot is kind of simplistic, but the main characters are really endearing, and considering there's a cast of 177 recruitable characters it's amazing that so many of them are actually very likable.

The graphics are in an absolutely beautiful storybook style, and the characters are slightly chibi. It's seriously one of the prettiest games I've played.

The music is by Noriyuki Iwadare, and in addition to being wonderfully composed, it's also some of the most fitting music I have ever heard in a game. It just matches the light-hearted, humorous feel of the game so well. A lot of people don't like it because they were expecting more Motoi Sakuraba progressive rock in this tri-Ace title, but I'm glad they tried something new and fresh.

The battles somewhat resemble those in Star Ocean 3, since they're real-time and the other characters are controlled by AI, but it's more simplistic. You only directly control Jack, and there isn't tons of different special moves (8 different normal attacks you can choose and combine in different orders for each weapon type, 1 special move for each weapon type, and 1 super move for each weapon type). What's really nice is that you can give specific directions on the fly to your other party members.

Whether or not you like it comes down to what you expect from it. If you're looking for an RPG that focuses on the story or the battles, you're better off looking elsewhere, but if you want an immersing "real" world with a large population of characters to interact with, each going through their time-based day-to-day routines, it's great. If you enjoyed the worlds in Shenmue and Majora's Mask and their time systems, you should enjoy Radiata Stories. If those games didn't appeal to you, this likely won't either.

Overall, Radiata Stories isn't my favorite tri-Ace game, but it's still extremely good. I'd give it a 10 out of 10 because it seriously has become one of my very favorite games. I normally play tri-Ace games for the innovative, challenging battle systems, but in this game, I fell in love with the creative methods of character interaction and recruitment. It truly feels like a real, fleshed-out world.

It's not very English-friendly obviously, but it's not too hard to figure out what to do compared to most RPGs since the map often marks where you need to go. With knowledge of katakana and a little trial and error, it's easily beatable and enjoyable. Or you can just wait for the US release later this year. :P

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dreamcast
    Black Matrix A/D [JP]

Its pretty interesting for a strategy rpg. I didnt' have to read much to understand more or less what was going on in the beginning.

Does NOT work with boot disc, I had to buy a JP dc to play it, since I burned out my mod chip. Same as Sakura Taisen 3, needs JP or mod chip system.
    Tritium (aka Mel)
    ------

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

PS2 Tetsujin 28 from play-asia when they were selling it at discount price... and my copy of PC Engine Crazy Hospital should be on its way...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just got complete copies of Grandia II and Grandia II Special Package (both for the Japanese Dreamcast) in the mail today as part of a trade. Not too bad, really... The trade was those two plus Lunar: The Silver Star (Sega CD; 7th disc art) for my Intelligent Qube (PS1) and Fantastic Adventures of Dizzy (NES).
    World's greatest Internet game store: http://blastedmachines.com

Also on Facebook: http://facebook.com/BlastedMachinesTechShop

Wanted: Any and all Dragon Quest, Lufia/Estpolis, Tales of series, and NIS games, strategy guides, and miscellaneous items. Will pay $$$ or trade well for items I don't already have.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Fuyukaze008

Well, now that I have the time its time for reviews part 2!

Saturn Bomber Man (Saturn) PAL
    Its a bomberman game. That should say it all, yet somehow I never knew bomberman could be so fun again. For the most part I tend to ignore most of the games in this series as so often they all play the same. Lay a bomb, run like hell. For some reason this game is rather adictive.

Tokimeki Memorial (Super Famicon)
    This game has left me rather puzzled. For a series I want to like so much, I still have no idea what I'm doing or why I am trying to do it. Even with an extremly basic understanding of the language I will still strive to play it. Maybe one day I'll know what I'm doing.

Ranma 1/2 Kakuren Bodesu Match(Gameboy)
    While its rather simple for a gameboy game, its actualy nice for one based on an anime series. The inbetween stage are gppd while the ingame graphics are bland for most of the game so far that I can see. The biggest problem I have with the game is that each stage basicly feels the same. Sure, the graphics may differ between some items, but its the same game in any of the 5 stages. Push blocks, break boxs, blah blah, repeat again. Also each stage is broken into an unknown number of levels. I say unknown as I have reached the 9th of most and yet to finish them. It's a game with great potential but fails to do anything beyond a decent anime themed game. As a game its weak. As an anime themed game, its probly as good as I can expect on the GB. The best thing about it is that the music. While no masterpiece I found it to be much like background music in the anime series.

Ranma 1/2 Netsuretsu Kakutouhen (Gameboy)
    While its another Ranma 1/2 game, it differes greatly from the above by being an action sidescrolling game. Great graphics, but the language barrier left me playing nearly half an hour before I stumbled on how to get hot water. Finding the first person to fight (as well as the second who I suspect is Ryoga) took a long time as well. I suspect the game has a save feature but I have yet to be able to use it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

PCE
    Sapphire

Been waiting to play this for a long time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mb7241
    Just got complete copies of Grandia II and Grandia II Special Package (both for the Japanese Dreamcast) in the mail today as part of a trade. Not too bad, really... The trade was those two plus Lunar: The Silver Star (Sega CD; 7th disc art) for my Intelligent Qube (PS1) and Fantastic Adventures of Dizzy (NES).

Glad you're happy with 'um.

PCE
    Big Smile Sapphire Big Smile

Been waiting to play this for a long time.
    OH SHIT!! Too sweet, man.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    E Nice Geo

I just got DreamMix TV World Fighters for Gamecube not to long ago. Haven't pkayed it much. Japanese heavy menu text. I'm a bit dissapointed with the background graphics. Looks pretty average and was expecting a bit more. Mostly got it because Simon Belmont is a charatcer in it, not to mention you can also play as Optimus Prime, with Megatron as an unlockable. One of the backgrounds has Devestator in it but he's yellow, not green.
    Murk: We will bring you Bob Barker. We will bring you the limp and beaten body of Bob Barker! - BTVS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Double Dragon II (PC Engine Super CD ROM 2). Port of the arcade game rather than the NES.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Intelligent License for PSP

Entertaining "IQ test"/Game : basically just some puzzle where you have to push boxes and avoid guards to make it out safely outside of a room under a certain time. Fail to do so and you get negaive point (once the timer as reached 0 that's it no retry).
    At the end of the game you get a score based on how quick you solved the puzzles and how many times you had to try.
    You can then post your score online to see how "intelligent" you are compared to the rest of the world.

(so far the Japanese, French and Swiss are on top).

Decent graphics, forgetable music, good controls - weird camera.

Still a good experience on average. The game was more involving than I thought and I was surpised to see that I ranked over 5hours when I turned it off.

7/10

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've also got a Sapphire on the way!

I need to get an Arcade Card before I can play it! ARGH!
    Zelda is NOT an RPG.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

haven't updated for a while now...
    so here are some of my latest pick ups...
    well three (Hi-Leg Fantasy, Crazy Hospital and Aikagi) but I've to take the whole lot to update my collection page so...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dj898
    haven't updated for a while now...
    so here are some of my latest pick ups...
    well three (Hi-Leg Fantasy, Crazy Hospital and Aikagi) but I've to take the whole lot to update my collection page so...

I think I already asked in the Ebay forum, but how is Hi-Leg Fantasy? Does it play like a hentai hack of Final Fantasy or something?

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

here's rather good review...

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/turb...ew/R46797.html

still I wouldn't score it 10/10 - imho no game can be good enough to be 10/10...

make sure you have either PC Engine Duo/Turbo Duo or PC Engine+SuperCD-ROM module...