Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Psychonauts (PC & XBOX) Impressions/Review Anyone?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by smork
    OK, I am going to be a wet blanket, but I was extremely disappointed in Psychonauts. I went in with very high hopes -- got disappointed immediately, did not like the game at all until i was several hours in. After a while I grew to like it alot, really enjoyed some of the middle levels.

The last 10% is ATROCIOUS though. It's just stupid and annoying. I was so put off by the annoying voices at some points to the point I had to turn voice off. And there was a point (I'm going to avoid spoilers here) where you are told you're at a point of no return -- which is ridiculous for a game you are supposed to collect everything! I do things way out of order sometimes, and I wanted to go poke around some of the levels and find items I had missed, but nope, no chance to do that after a certain point.
    I have heard some people say that it was a poor choice to begin the game with that particular level. And I would agree that Shigor's voice is entirely unnecessary, but at least you don't have to hear it for very long. But I had the distinct impression that you could still use the teleporter guys to return to the Collective Unconscious from the last level, and hence return to any previous level - just not the "real world".
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by smork
    OK, I am going to be a wet blanket, but I was extremely disappointed in Psychonauts. I went in with very high hopes -- got disappointed immediately, did not like the game at all until i was several hours in. After a while I grew to like it alot, really enjoyed some of the middle levels.

The last 10% is ATROCIOUS though. It's just stupid and annoying. I was so put off by the annoying voices at some points to the point I had to turn voice off. And there was a point (I'm going to avoid spoilers here) where you are told you're at a point of no return -- which is ridiculous for a game you are supposed to collect everything! I do things way out of order sometimes, and I wanted to go poke around some of the levels and find items I had missed, but nope, no chance to do that after a certain point.

I guess I have a very sour taste in my mouth about the game -- it could have been a perfect game, but instead had some flaws that to me were fatal.

At least it was original in content, even if at heart it's just another 3D platformer.
    Yeah I couldn't agree more. the gameplay was the fatal flaw for me and some of the stages really stank, I hate all the ppl who pimp this game as a BG&E....

It's good decent 7.3/10 but it lacks in some areas the best thing about the game is the personality and style..... gameplay is very average..... still a good game though, but not great.
    Go, go Ackman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Ahh, psychonauts.

What a game.

I first read about it in Tips & Tricks, it sounded cool, But i wasn't planning to buy it until my dad bought an Xbox demo disc from a yard sale for a quarter, And it had Psychonauts on it, Wich i played, and liked, then decided to buy.

But then i got it for my B-day, And it was $50 at the time, But i was pleased with it.

It's like some of those other xbox games, like Grabbed By The Ghoulies.. A great game, And overlooked by most people who have an xbox, Including me, until i tried it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I liked the style but I'm up to about here ::raises hand up to eyebrow:: on 3D platformer collect-a-thons. Figments, baggage tags and baggage, arrowheads and I guess web cleaning as I didn't get that far. I skipped arrowheads because I really didn't find a use for them...until I had to buy that cobweb thinger and needed to use that arrow head dousing rod (or whatever) to find the deeper arrowheads to get the big money. At that point I was turned off because the pacing to me seemed derailed.

Of course, that's just me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Okay, I am now offering 20,000 meseta to the person who will help me find the aforementioned figment in Waterloo World. I'm going to need a little more advice than "Green, Bird With Cap, On the peasant's house next to the orchards." A scan from the official guide would be ideal.

Any takers?
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The gameplay may have been average, but I still thoroughly enjoyed the presentation.

A fun game and recommended.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho
    Okay, I am now offering 20,000 meseta to the person who will help me find the aforementioned figment in Waterloo World. I'm going to need a little more advice than "Green, Bird With Cap, On the peasant's house next to the orchards." A scan from the official guide would be ideal.

Any takers?
    www.gamefaqs.com
    www.cheathappens.com eh worth a shot?

I had that waterloo music stuck in my head for days after that stage , ungh.

Average gameplay is being kind, be sure this is no Mario 64 though..... still decent I guess but not worthy of all the nut swinging it's getting.
    Go, go Ackman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ackman
    www.gamefaqs.com
    www.cheathappens.com eh worth a shot?
    As noted in my earlier post, sir, Gamefaqs was the first place I looked and the place from which I derived the above quote. Nor does Cheathappens have any information that Gamefaqs does not.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you have the pc version you can edit your save games with the savegame editor or use the trainer.

http://www.cheathappens.com/cheat_in...?titleID=10653
    Go, go Ackman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

A savegame editor will not help me find the location of what I'm looking for. The infinite jump cheat in the trainer is another matter... but I can't get the trainer to work, so scratch that.

I shall up the reward to 25K meseta. One of you folks must have the strategy guide!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

A savegame editor will not help me find the location of what I'm looking for. The infinite jump cheat in the trainer is another matter... but I can't get the trainer to work, so scratch that.

I shall up the reward to 25K meseta. One of you folks must have the strategy guide!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I am glad somebody bumped this thread because I skipped right over this game. So, after reading your DP comments, I went out and bought it. The game play is average, however is a lot of fun to play. I like the characters a lot. A lot of what they say made me lol. Like the part he sits in the chair thingy to take him different places and you can make him say "No thanks, I just came down to hear your voice." That was pretty funny. The camera sometimes ticks me off. You try to jump up, adjust the camera so you can see up, miss, then the camera resets itself so you can't see crap. Then you have to re-adjust the camera to look up so you can see what is above you, that gets annoying. I have not gotten that far into it, only had it a couple of days now, so I can't really say if I really like it or not, but so far so good.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I am glad somebody bumped this thread because I skipped right over this game. So, after reading your DP comments, I went out and bought it. The game play is average, however is a lot of fun to play. I like the characters a lot. A lot of what they say made me lol. Like the part he sits in the chair thingy to take him different places and you can make him say "No thanks, I just came down to hear your voice." That was pretty funny. The camera sometimes ticks me off. You try to jump up, adjust the camera so you can see up, miss, then the camera resets itself so you can't see crap. Then you have to re-adjust the camera to look up so you can see what is above you, that gets annoying. I have not gotten that far into it, only had it a couple of days now, so I can't really say if I really like it or not, but so far so good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Oh, snap. Click for screencap of evil figment.

I found this with a little help from a post on LucasForums. How fscking stupid is this!? You can't even see it unless you happen to be looking at it at the right angle at a particular moment when the smoke is clear!

It could have been such an excellent game! Why oh why does it have this crap!?

I'll be quiet now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I found this with a little help from a post on LucasForums. How fscking stupid is this!? You can't even see it unless you happen to be looking at it at the right angle at a particular moment when the smoke is clear!

I'll be quiet now.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll be quiet now.
    Heh that's nothing I'd like to see you try and get all the grades in I-ninja, impossible, totally impossible and crazy what were those crazy JPN ******* thinking?

load of bollocks!
    Go, go Ackman!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll be quiet now.
    Heh that's nothing I'd like to see you try and get all the grades in I-ninja, impossible, totally impossible and crazy what were those crazy JPN ******* thinking?

load of bollocks!
    Go, go Ackman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll be quiet now.
    That is the dictionary definition of cheap.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll be quiet now.
    That is the dictionary definition of cheap.