Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm not so impressed with the Game Gear anymore.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default I'm not so impressed with the Game Gear anymore.

I suppose it had to happen afetr my Neo Geo Pocket Colour and my recent experience with my father's Game Boy Advance, but I find that my recent purchase of a Game Gear and a mess of games has been less than satisfying.

I know a lot of these games are direct ports of Master System games, and are therefore at least as good as some NES games (some of them, again) but they just don't seem as good on the Game Gear.

Let me rephrase that... I know a handheld game is not going to hold my interest like a game on a TV, but I had hoped for more. I mean, the thing is in color, the thing is big enough for my adult hands (unlike the GBA SP) and I have it hooked up with an ac cord so it's not heavy and it's not eating batteries like a mother. I should be getting some pleasure out of this thing, right?

It seems I've played my old Game Boy Pocket (no color, no light) a great deal more than my nice back-lit Game Gear in color. I have loads of games, and I've tried to get those games which I've heard are the best that the Game Gear has to offer. I'm just not spending much time with it.

Could anyone recommend some games that really make the Game Gear shine and show its true colours?

DAMN I wish Sega had made a "Super Game Gear" that would have plugged into the Genesis! Playing Game Gear games on a regular TV with a Genesis controller... that would have been SWEET

:/
    Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Throw your GameGear.

Get a Nomad.

You haven't lived until you have a Nomad. You will love your Nomad. Better, more beatiful, and with the full power of a Genesis Engine inside, it can play -almost- any Genesis game ever! You can play with another pal IN YOUR TV!!!

You must get a Nomad. You can never have enough of them because Nomads are beatiful and I want more Nomads and I cannot have enough of them and... WHOA! Where are you taking me, doctor?

* Continues the babling until they take him back to his padded cell again*
    ...No more, it's over, I'm on to you and your evil games...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Default Re: I'm not so impressed with the Game Gear anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by fishsandwich
    DAMN I wish Sega had made a "Super Game Gear" that would have plugged into the Genesis! Playing Game Gear games on a regular TV with a Genesis controller... that would have been SWEET
    You can get close by playing Game Gear games on your TV with a Dreamcast controller. With the recent release of the SMSPlus v0.2 emulator I've been enjoying the Game Gear a lot more. It emulates both Sega Master System and Game Gear. The big draw here is that on the TV Game Gear games are a LOT better looking since the blurring of the GG hardware is no longer a factor.

Check out the following link for more information and a how to on getting started...

http://dcevolution.net/DCHelp/index....&board=smsplus

You'll have to get game backups (roms) elsewhere and you can download SMSPlus directly at http://www.pascalorama.com/

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

You didn't really say what games you've played. And if we start recommending games, all this becomes is another thread of "what games are the best."

But what the hell? You need Streets of Rage 2, Fatal Fury Special, and Samurai Shodown. Most of the Sonics are good too.

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Some of my favorites:

Ax Battler
    Crystal Warriors
    Legend of Illusion
    Prince of Persia
    Star Wars
    Xmen & Spiderman: Arcades Revenge

I still own all the games and systems since I got them years ago from my parents. Good system, but I just don't like the screen, too hard to see anything.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Dragon Crystal is actually way better than it's Genesis counterpart (Fatal Labyrinth).

Also worth mentioning here is the wonderful Shinobi games (there's at least two) for the Game Gear. They are not like any other console Shinobi game, and they are not a port of the SMS version. They actually have a layout like Mega Man (stage select, earn new moves and attacks by finishing levels), and play like Shadow Dancer or Revenge of Shinobi, depending on what character you're using. The music is by Yuzo Koshiro, as well. I highly recommend those games.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Archenemy
    Throw your GameGear.

Get a Nomad.

You haven't lived until you have a Nomad. You will love your Nomad. Better, more beatiful, and with the full power of a Genesis Engine inside, it can play -almost- any Genesis game ever! You can play with another pal IN YOUR TV!!!

You must get a Nomad. You can never have enough of them because Nomads are beatiful and I want more Nomads and I cannot have enough of them and... WHOA! Where are you taking me, doctor?

I agree I love my nomad. I haven't really touched my Game Gear since I got it. It has an awesome library (Genesis) and dosent have that screen blur that you get in the Game Gear on fast paced games.

* Continues the babling until they take him back to his padded cell again*
    I agree (Mostly) I love my nomad. I haven't really touched my Game Gear since I got it. It has an awesome library (Genesis) and dosent have that screen blur that you get in the Game Gear on fast paced games.

But on the other hand don't throw your game gear

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've only really been into two games on the Game Gear - Wonder Boy III - The Dragon's Trap and oddly enough, Pacman, which I think plays really well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think you've discovered why nintendo won this round of the protable gaming war. The Game Gear had a color back lit screen that was as blurry as hell and not enough fun games to back it up. Being a Sega fan you don't know how many times I tried to make the system my go to portable. I have the AC and car adapters to make the battery issue null. Still the Game Boy just has better portable games and have spent to this day far more hours with it than the Game Gear. The Game Gear does have some great games but that screen kills me. I'll second a previous poster in favor of emulating it on another system to avoid that blury screen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The game gear rocks. Its very important to find a new console, because its backlit screens go kinda blurry and white with time.....

There are a lot of great game gear games like:
    * Lion King
    * Sonic 1, 2
    * Mean bean machine
    * Gunstar heroes
    * Shinobi 1 and 2
    * Streets of rage 1 and 2
    * Columns!

And many more!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default !

My screen isn't so bad. It's a bit scratched, but I have ordered a new cover for it. It does blur a bit, but no more than the new one I had stolen years ago my my alcoholic ex-roommate.

I've played Battletoads the most... that one is pretty darn fun. I wish Sonic Drift 2 were more balances, but it's not and I can't stand the contant passing and re-passing of the other characters for no reason.

Galaga is pretty darn sweet, though, as is Aleste II.

The Arcade Pack (Centipede, Missile Command, Pong) is DREADFUL. I mean, if the Atari 5200 from the early 80's could do a good port of Centipede, why not the Master System (and the Game Gear by default?) It plays too darn slow.

Road Rash is ok, if a bit slow and repetitive.

Ehhh... I'll give it another try once my screen replacement gets here.

Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh yes, How could I miss Road Rash for game gear

That was a GREAT port by US GOLD. It looks better than A LOT of 16 bit games!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Nomad's great and all, but don't expect it to be very portable. On 6 brand new AA's, it only lasts about 30 mins (40 tops).

BUT, having near GBA worthy graphics on a system that's 10 years old is pretty cool..
    machine.slave

CLICK HERE!! To check out my collection for sale! Only $1500 for the lot

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

I used to own a Game Gear... I got it as an unexpected Xmas gift one year. I'd been a straight Nintendo man until then.

But anyway. I did give it a shot. I thought Sonic 2 GG sucked, so I went out and bought Sonic Chaos and Sonic Triple Trouble, which were far more enjoyable. But after those two, there just wasn't anything on the system that appealed to me, and I found myself going back to my trusty Gameboy. I ended up selling the Gear about five years ago.

Of course, the most memorable thing about the Game Gear I remember was some stupid commercial Sega did. It featured some stupid fat kid playing a Gameboy (what exactly was Sega trying to say?) and seeing a skinny cool kid playing a Game Gear... IN COLOR. So the fat kid picks up a squirrel and smacks himself in the head, (yeah, I thought that was kinda dumb too), making him see all these psychadelic colors while he played Tetris or something. It was just so ODD. *L*

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by machine.slave
    The Nomad's great and all, but don't expect it to be very portable. On 6 brand new AA's, it only lasts about 30 mins (40 tops).

BUT, having near GBA worthy graphics on a system that's 10 years old is pretty cool..
    You have GOT to be kidding me! 40 minutes tops from 6 new batteries? No wonder it went down the toilet!

I hear the GG lasts 4 hours... that also sucks. I've been playing it at home with the AC cord. Makes the GG lighter, too.

Maybe a car adaptor is in the cards...

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gapporin

Quote Originally Posted by fishsandwich
    You have GOT to be kidding me! 40 minutes tops from 6 new batteries? No wonder it went down the toilet!
    I don't think it was that bad. Probably a few hours at the most (which isn't that great either, granted.)

Even with the Rechargeable Battery Pack, it only lasts about 4-5 hours. I think it's the only system that takes longer to charge up than it does to use it. :P

Since we're on the topic of the Nomad, is it true that you can use the Power Base Converter with it?
    "I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

I've always enjoyed Vampire: Master Of Darkness, Castlevania clone that it is. It's the only CV-esque title for the GG, I believe.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't recall anyone mentioning this, but if you have any SMS games, grab a Game Master Converter. It only works for 1 playered games though.

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

Quote Originally Posted by Immutable
    Game Master Converter
    Sounds like the same thing as the Master Gear converter, which is a great item to have if you're an SMS fan. More often than not I'd be playing my SMS games on the GG, more so than the actual GG games.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Some people are probably going to laugh at me, but in addition to the great games already mentioned, one of my favourite GG games is Home Alone. WAY better than the NES version!