Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm not so impressed with the Game Gear anymore.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dire 51
    Sounds like the same thing as the Master Gear converter[...]
    Opps, I stand corrected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like the GG, probably even more than the GB, but then again I'm a Sega fan. I don't have one right now, but I plan on changing that soon. The GG is a nice system if you want to play ports on the go.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Immutable
    Game Master Converter
    Sounds like the same thing as the Master Gear converter, which is a great item to have if you're an SMS fan. More often than not I'd be playing my SMS games on the GG, more so than the actual GG games.
    Never heard of either of these, but I do know the Power Base convertor wont work.

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

Quote Originally Posted by FooFighter
    Game Master Converter
    Sounds like the same thing as the Master Gear converter, which is a great item to have if you're an SMS fan. More often than not I'd be playing my SMS games on the GG, more so than the actual GG games.
    Never heard of either of these, but I do know the Power Base convertor wont work.
    Especially considering the PBC is designed for use with the Genesis and wouldn't fit into the GG's cart port.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

DAMN I wish Sega had made a "Super Game Gear" that would have plugged into the Genesis! Playing Game Gear games on a regular TV with a Genesis controller... that would have been SWEET
    To connect your GG to your TV, tell Xavier you want him to build you one of these:

http://www.smspower.org/forums/viewt...d35fa87b89c78b

Now! Go do it!

I don't recall anyone mentioning this, but if you have any SMS games, grab a Game Master Converter. It only works for 1 playered games though.
    Not true. You can plug an adapter cable into the link port to use a second controller. I actually own one of these, so I know this for sure. Using a turbo controller being second player rules. Never tried any guns or stearing controllers or anything though.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Game Master Converter
    Especially considering the PBC is designed for use with the Genesis and wouldn't fit into the GG's cart port.
    Oops I'm still thinking about the Nomad.......... We swithched back to the GG again??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default !

I finally got my Master Gear convertor in the mail... It's a cool piece of hardware. I tried playing Master of Darkness on it (the SMS game, not the GG game) and it was so blinky that I kept getting killed by enemies and it was damned irritating. I've heard this is a good game on the GG... perhaps I should try the GG-optimized version?

I have to think... what would a Game Gear look like with a battery pack and a Master convertor (if they would fit at the same time... I doubt it) and a screen magnifier? Sounds like we're getting close to Virtual Boy territory in terms of "portability"

Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Cherry (Level 1) starchildskiss78's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Personally I LOVE my Game Gear. I got one for X-mas maybe a year or two after it came out and played it a LOT. (Had to use the adapter though most of the time to kill the battery issue.) Sonic 2, Joe Montana Football, Columns, and World Series Baseball got extensive play when I first had it. I stupidly got rid of it a couple years after that (for what I don't know...gas money maybe?) and had been kicking myself ever since. I found one at a flea market for 5 bucks a few weeks ago and with the exception of scratches on the protective screen and no battery covers it runs like a champ. My only mistake now is that I bought some real stinkers (the Batman games come to mind off the bat) that are not that enjoyable. On the subject of the plastic screen...for those who have replaced it...where did you go? And how hard is it to replace it? (I tried Future Floor Polish which eliminated a few scratches but was generally unsuccessful. May try Novus Plastic Polish next if I don't get a new screen.)
    My webcomic about three kitties and their humans. Touches on different subject matter (including video games) and updates every Sunday and Wednesday. (The kitties demand you read it!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default !

I have a replacement screen on the way... I'll let you know how it goes. From what I've been told, it's VERY SUPER EASY to replace a GG screen. They are evidently glued on... just unpeel the old one with a sharp edge and stick on the new one. Again, I'll let you know how it turn out.

As far as Game Gear goes, it is super cheap to get one on ebay... I see ones with a carrying case and several games go for $20 or less all the time. The GG is very inexpensive to collect for.

Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Archenemy
    Throw your GameGear.

Get a Nomad.
    Eh, I stopped using my Nomad (for all but on-the road gaming, I always take the Shinobi trillogy) once I got a Genesis 2...it's much, MUCH better for to-TV than the 3 is, though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm torn between buying a huge lot of GG carts and selling the system altogether. Maybe I should play an entire season of NBA Jam before deciding what to do with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    That looks gosh-darn interesting. A Zelda-type game on the Game Gear! I wonder how much the Japanese text will prove to be a hinderance to the gameplay... hopefully not much!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Not much, I don't think, though there is a translation patch. Apparently the menu music is awful

From the looks of this auction, yet another real sleeper. Jeez, these days I'm more interested in the sleepers than I am in the popular action games - how come?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

Game Master Converter
    Oops I'm still thinking about the Nomad.......... We swithched back to the GG again??
    Yep.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

Default Re: !

Quote Originally Posted by fishsandwich
    I finally got my Master Gear convertor in the mail... It's a cool piece of hardware. I tried playing Master of Darkness on it (the SMS game, not the GG game) and it was so blinky that I kept getting killed by enemies and it was damned irritating. I've heard this is a good game on the GG... perhaps I should try the GG-optimized version?
    I think in this case that'd be your best bet. I never did get to try the SMS MoD on the GG, but now that I've heard about this, should I ever get a GG again, I'll just track down a V: MoD cart.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default !

I just got a new replacement screen for my Game Gear in the mail, and I must say that it has made a big differance. I am enjoying the game Gear a lot more.

I got one of those replacement screens off e-bay. I was initially disappointed in the screen... the old screen on my Game Gear clearly had rounded edges while the replacement had straight, flat edges. I didn't hink it would look right, but I tried it anyway.

I pried off the old screen with a razor... it took some convincing, but it finally gave up it's hold on the beat-up blue Game Gear it has traveled with for all its life.

It was stuck on with some sort of black two-sided tape, the bulk of which stayed stuck on the screen with a little residue on the Game Gear itself.

The new Game Gear had plastic wrap on both sides, no I peeled it back to reveal a perfect, new, unscratched screen. My fears of not fitting well or looking stoopid were unfounded... the flat screen fits just fine in the old footprint left by the old curved screen, and no one would be able to tell it was a replacement. It even has the hole where the light shines through on the side.

It's made a world of differance when I play... I might actually like this thing now that I'm not playing through a haze of scratches.

It's kind of like how you appreciate the world around you when you get new glassses, only more stupid.