Great Puma (Level 12) DeputyMoniker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

Default TG-16 CD emulation?

I've been trying to emulate some TG-16 CD but it apparently hasn't been made possible. I haven't even noticed any CD ROM dumps anywhere.
    Whats the deal? Does anybody even know an emulator that handles TG-16 CD?

Click here to view my collection.
    DP FFXIV Username & Server List.

PSN, Switch, U, Steam, and Twitch: tellUwut

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

The newer version of Magic Engine does it alright for me as long as you use a system card rom to boot it.

edit: p.s.: http://mcsteam.phpbb.tv/ftopic60.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Default Re: TG-16 CD emulation?

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMoniker
    I've been trying to emulate some TG-16 CD but it apparently hasn't been made possible. I haven't even noticed any CD ROM dumps anywhere.
    Whats the deal? Does anybody even know an emulator that handles TG-16 CD?
    As Cryomancer said, MagicEngine is the way to go - it's $16 but well worth it considering how robust it is (still way less than a TurboDuo). TG-16 CD dumps (ISOs) aren't all that common to find online, simply because generally the TG16 is a machine archived by the hardcore into the NEC console wonder - so mostly everything is first run original production. (that and I remember something about the CD's having some screwy copy protection, at least the Dracula-X copy project had some problems with that) However there are a few sources out there that will give you backups burned to CD-R, however I won't mention those here. Google for TurboDuo backups and you should find some sources.

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's plenty of backups to be found out there. My turbo duo seems to be picky about them and will sometimes mess it up, so I only emulate them.

For emulation use Magic Engine. Great emulator. If I do remember correctly, the only way to get sound is to use an analog cable connected from your cd drive to the cd in port on your sound card. There may be another way to get the sound to play off the cd, but this was the only way I could figure out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Again, Magic Engine... it's the way to go. As for the backups... don't be cheap. Just go buy the games. Yeah, there's some expensive ones, but seeing as how most people in the world are idiots, especially when it comes to backing up SCDs (Super CDs), you're better off buying the games and making your own.

SCDs don't use a regular CD format. They're a bunch of audio tracks and one or two (comparitely) small data tracks. You need good hardware and software to do a proper rip for them to work, especially if you're going to put them back into SCD form which Magic Engine needs to run, and most people just don't do that.

I think paying for emulators is bollocks too, but Magic Engine is a solid product. Very well done, and looks commercial.
    gamengai
    Best import site on the net.
    My for sale list

Great Puma (Level 12) DeputyMoniker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

Default Re: TG-16 CD emulation?

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid
    Google for TurboDuo backups and you should find some sources.
    Wont I end up with a bunch of Japanese games if I search for DUO dumps? I really want Sherlock Holmes 1&2...but not if he's speaking a foreign lang.

Click here to view my collection.
    DP FFXIV Username & Server List.

PSN, Switch, U, Steam, and Twitch: tellUwut

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I also recommend magic engine. I purchased it awile back and it runs great for me.
    I'm just trying to keep from losing my mind!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by -hellvin-
    the only way to get sound is to use an analog cable connected from your cd drive to the cd in port on your sound card. There may be another way to get the sound to play off the cd, but this was the only way I could figure out.

You know I tried playing some CD's on Magic Engine but could only get the TG-16 sounds, couldn't get the CD background music and stuff to work. So I need a analog cable to connect from my CD Drive to the CD in port on my sound card. Man, it's been so long since I've opened my PC and messed around with it. But I guess I need to do that, cause I really need to hear the damn soundtracks.

So if I go to a computer store and ask for a analog cable to connect from my CD Drive to the CD in port they will know what the hell I'm talking about?

I would think that I already have one in there. I'll have to check and see what's up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

There's plenty of backups to be found out there. My turbo duo seems to be picky about them and will sometimes mess it up, so I only emulate them.
    The TurboDuo seems to have problems with reading backups unless it's an earlier version, TG16 CD is the way to go if you want to play backups on an actual system, but as you said MagicEngine runs them fine.

For emulation use Magic Engine. Great emulator. If I do remember correctly, the only way to get sound is to use an analog cable connected from your cd drive to the cd in port on your sound card. There may be another way to get the sound to play off the cd, but this was the only way I could figure out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    You know I tried playing some CD's on Magic Engine but could only get the TG-16 sounds, couldn't get the CD background music and stuff to work. So I need a analog cable to connect from my CD Drive to the CD in port on my sound card. Man, it's been so long since I've opened my PC and messed around with it. But I guess I need to do that, cause I really need to hear the damn soundtracks.
    Magic Engine's CD sound emulation seems to work fine on my computer - sure you guys just don't have cheap sound cards that don't have onboard ports for connections from the internal audio socket of your CD drive? You know, it's a skinny little thin cable with three wires that has a flat plug on each side that runs from the back of your CD drive (where the little pins are, usually on the opposite side of the power connection) to a similar set of pins (usually in a socket) on your soundcard? (all on the INSIDE of your computer) My Sound Blaster PCI 128 has three, currently two are used - one for each of my CD drives, and CD audio under Magic Engine works fine when using either.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    So if I go to a computer store and ask for a analog cable to connect from my CD Drive to the CD in port they will know what the hell I'm talking about?

I would think that I already have one in there. I'll have to check and see what's up.
    If your sound card doesn't support an internal connection or you can't get it working or whatever, you don't need any special cable for the external connection. You basically just need a standard audio patch cord, it'll have two male ends. You're going to plug it into the external headphone jack on the front of your CD drive and then loop it around to the back of your computer and plug it into the input socket on your sound card. (guess you could also simply plug your speakers into the external jack on the front of your CD drive)

Quote Originally Posted by GaijinPunch
    Again, Magic Engine... it's the way to go. As for the backups... don't be cheap. Just go buy the games. Yeah, there's some expensive ones, but seeing as how most people in the world are idiots, especially when it comes to backing up SCDs (Super CDs), you're better off buying the games and making your own.
    I have to agree, it took this guy four tries before I could get a working backup of my copy of Dracula X - with a week in between of each. Although once I finally got one that didn't have junk like "the last 3% of the game has problems" it was nice to finally be able to put the original back on the shelf.

Quote Originally Posted by GaijinPunch
    SCDs don't use a regular CD format. They're a bunch of audio tracks and one or two (comparitely) small data tracks. You need good hardware and software to do a proper rip for them to work, especially if you're going to put them back into SCD form which Magic Engine needs to run, and most people just don't do that.
    That's what it was! Couldn't remember, thanks!