Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: OK..somebody explain this whole room of doom thing to me pls

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default OK..somebody explain this whole room of doom thing to me pls

I just don't get it... what could possess otherwise normal (?) people to litter their walls with games? I mean... I love my game collection, but I sure as hell don't want my living room to look like a freakshow

I guess I just don't understand the fascination with whipping out all the games like some sort of big dick contest

Me no understand

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

whats the point in having a collection if you can't show it off and display all the games that you have. How many games do you have, because there is now way i could pack up all the games anyway. they would take up the same amount of room so why not have them up on shelves. What you said at the end of your post says it all. you just don't understand
    This is my BOOM STICK !!!!

hail to the king baby!!

my collection: http://videogamecollectors.com/galle...r-Room-of-Doom

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have around seven hundred games, give or take. About 500 of them are factory sealed, so they would make nice display copies.. but I have no desire to do that. I've got the games boxed up and I look at them/ play them when I feel like it. But I want my place to look normal, for god's sake I'm not trying to rip on anyone, I don't mean to come across that way, I just could never litter my walls with ANY kind of collection. I collected comic books for about 15 years and still have at least 5,000 books - but lord knows I never stuck one on a wall. I guess I'm just surprised at how many gamers seem to put all their stuff up on the wall; most collectors of other collectables don't seem to feel so obliged.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

Default game room

i have a game room in my house to...the walls are covered in nothing but video game posters and shelves that are filled with games and systems all around the room. i have over 1500 games, and i love to show my collection off..even though some people think im a dork...but f....them.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

I dunno...all of my shit is on bookshelves. I GUESS that's showing it off, but how else am I supposed to store it all? In boxes in the closet? That isnt very practical. And I have a room of doom, meaning that it is a special room just for games. As such, my living room is not cluttered up with anything, as I keep all of my shit in the special room, into which people rarely go. I'm pretty much the only person who ever is in there, so I'm not whipping my figurative big dick out for anyone. I take it that you keep all of your games boxed up and out of sight? What's the fun in that???

Chris

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I can kind of understand storing things neatly on bookshelves the way it sounds you've done. I just don't understand some of the wall to wall fanboy decorated rooms that you see. It just seems like way, way too much.

...as for my games, most of them are boxed up yeah, although I've got a couple systems and a few games out by the tv. Pretty uncluttered and unobtrusive though.

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

I'd hate to see your place. What have you got, a bed, an entertainment center, a shitload of boxes and completely blank walls?

Most of us have lots of games, and shelves are far more practical than boxes. And believe it or not most of us are proud of our collections, and displaying them is something we enjoy.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You know, I've recently thought that it would be neat to wallpaper my ROD walls with old game magazines, or maybe even actual cartridges. Just think it would look cool.

But I'm sure somebody would walk into this room and think that I need to go to a mental institution or something.

Plus the Wifey would never go for it.

Right now I don't have anything "on display" so to speak. I have a shelf in my room that has my complete collection of Next-Generation magazine, and my nearly complete collection of Die Hard GameFan magazines, and my early EGM and GamePro and VG & CE issues. They are all in polybags, just like a comic book geek, and I'm actually quite proud of them.

I know it's kinda silly, but what the fuh?

You live and then you die, might as well enjoy your time on this particular plane of existence.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

LOVE PURE & SIMPLE
    and like jibbajaba says, rarely does anyone ever enter.

I'll only ever allow certain people in my games room (which is a room to itself, not my living room)and would even keep it locked from my children until they were old enough,careful enough and understood. People get to know me before they get to know my games room.

And yes it is an obsession. we are all obsessive in one way or another. I love how my R.o.D. is a complete visual overload, you can spend hours looking at stuff.

For me to show you pics of it is because it is my pride and joy, and I would hope you would enjoy seeing something you maybe haven't seen before. Not to boast, just sharing a common passion here at this collective of gamers

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

im with bronty on this one, i hate displaying my games. even though i have plenty of games to show off, nothing pisses me off more then when people come over my house and put their dirty little hands all over my games. i like to keep my games safely tucked away in my closet , where only i can touch and look.
    Even if I go to hell, I will live to the end of this world. And if the world does not come to an end... I will destroy it with my own hands!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i use to collect comic books too and 5,000 books takes up much less room than 5,000 games. trust me on that, my collection has 4,000+ games in it and it takes up it's own room. take a look at the rooms of doom here and tell me that our rooms don't look cool. The majority of them all have the games in order on shelves nice and neat. Plus having the games stored in boxes would suck every time you want to play something you have to go digging in a box to find it.
    This is my BOOM STICK !!!!

hail to the king baby!!

my collection: http://videogamecollectors.com/galle...r-Room-of-Doom

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yea 5,000 comic books is less than 15 long boxes, somewhat of a pain, but 5000 games would be insane.

Regardless, I started a thread awhile ago to see if anyone had a "classy" way of setting things up.
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/view...sy+gaming+room

Like in their actual living room where people would be seeing stuff & not in a more private area like a den. The conclusion of the thread was no one had a nice neat setup.

Although I've seen other threads where people have neat ideas on storing games, nothing I would do, but for example someone had custom built their bed and put the games under the mattress.

Nate

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hezeuschrist
    I'd hate to see your place. What have you got, a bed, an entertainment center, a shitload of boxes and completely blank walls?

Most of us have lots of games, and shelves are far more practical than boxes. And believe it or not most of us are proud of our collections, and displaying them is something we enjoy.
    I can understand loving games and that, I just don't get the display aspect. The bookshelves I can understand - they help organize - but the video game wallpaper though, look-at-me-I-love-FF7-more-than-you-do... that's freaking wacky

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

Access. Everything in on custom shelving and alphabatized (except the loose carts). No way am I digging through 50+ boxes of games to play Brawl Brothers.

Plus, it's a collection. How can you enjoy it if it's all buried away?

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nate1749
    Yea 5,000 comic books is less than 15 long boxes, somewhat of a pain, but 5000 games would be insane.

Regardless, I started a thread awhile ago to see if anyone had a "classy" way of setting things up.

Like in their actual living room where people would be seeing stuff & not in a more private area like a den. The conclusion of the thread was no one had a nice neat setup.

Although I've seen other threads where people have neat ideas on storing games, nothing I would do, but for example someone had custom built their bed and put the games under the mattress.

Nate
    It's actually 26 long boxes - it's a pretty big pain.

Games under the mattress sounds pretty good though.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stevec1636
    take a look at the rooms of doom here and tell me that our rooms don't look cool.
    Okay. they don't look cool - sorry Games look cool, room does not

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by unbroken
    im with bronty on this one, i hate displaying my games. even though i have plenty of games to show off, nothing pisses me off more then when people come over my house and put their dirty little hands all over my games. i like to keep my games safely tucked away in my closet , where only i can touch and look.
    Heheh - now that's what I'm talking about No need for the unwashed masses to f something up!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've got about 1,000 and I thought I only had 3 long boxes w/extra space, but I just checked and I have 5. Sorry about the bad estimate.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronty-2
    Quote Originally Posted by nate1749

Nate
    It's actually 26 long boxes - it's a pretty big pain.

Games under the mattress sounds pretty good though.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Don't worry about it! It's probably too many either way!!

What comics do you collect, anyway?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

what is worse, having a room full of videogames and posters and collectable toys that show off the history of videogames and in particular that which you love, where you can pull a game off the shelf, plug it into the machine that is ready to play, emersed in a room that contains nothing but videogame junk.

Or a room full of videogames on shelves in sealed boxes that you can't play.

I know too well the value of sealed vintage videogames, I have a few myself, but they are the ones stored away in boxes safe from the world. My gamesroom is a shrine to my hobby. For me, and a select few to enjoy.