Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    laughing robot
    PSN
    second-monkey
    3DS Friend
    0087-3717-4240

When you talk about age, like for example 20 years, to me, you are referring to...... antiques. When I think of retro, it is anything not currently having games produced. I have to hunt for games, which is part of the fun. Anything not mainstream, it's yesterday. It is not about age. It is in finding fun in something that everyone is wondering, why are you playing that? Your response is, it was fun then and it is still fun now. It is not what the "in crowd" is playing, because they traded that thing off a long time ago. The company that built it cannot make money off of it any more, because everything is used. You are concerned so you purchase more than one console, so if it dies, you push it aside, pull the second one out, and continue playing. You have to rebuild the controller. To me, previous video gaming generations are falling under the heading of "retro."

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

It's such a difficult thing to define because it's so subjective. The longer you live, you perceive time differently. You change less on a personal level developmentally, which causes time to have fewer clear signposts along the way. If you're in your 30s or 40s now, 2002 probably feels like it was just yesterday. If you're 21, it was forever ago. I generally go by a rule of 2 generations back or ten years roughly, but it's not exactly a great definition.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When artifacts imposed by technological limitations of the time emerge as aesthetically identifiable elements.

Insert Coin (Level 0) fultonbot's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by retro junkie View Post
    anything not currently having games produced. I have to hunt for games, which is part of the fun. Anything not mainstream, it's yesterday. It is not about age. It is in finding fun in something that everyone is wondering, why are you playing that?
    Yeah, that's a good summary. The "20 year" thing is something my own head fabricates.
    So to you, "retro" is more of a "state of being". Like back in the late 80's there were no shops around me that sold Atari ST games, so I have to drive hours to buy anything, It was fun to go on those adventures. In some ways, that was "retro" even though the system was still being built. Atari really died in 1984, and this was only three years later, yet my love for the Atari brand was more about nostalgia than technology. I will have to think about that, but I understand the point of view.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The Atari love is real, people still dig it, flashbacks up to 6.0 are proof of that as they sell quite well to keep supporting the revisions. The only one I ever had was the 2.0 that could have been modded to take a 2600 cart if the parts and skills were there. Back then I couldn't do it, now probably I could, but I'm so OCD about things being ugly I know i could never nicely cut a hole in the top to slot the game into it.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

I would tend to agree with the "two generations" rule, well two generations from whatever generation is most popular at the moment. For instance, the Xbox One / PS4 / Wii U came out around 2013 but it took until 2014-2015 for them to become more popular than the generation before.

Of course, there's considerable console-console variation, for instance the Dreamcast and PS2 are both two generations ago right now but the Dreamcast has been retro for quite some time due to its early demise while PS2 just became retro recently.
    Real collectors drive Hondas, Toyotas, Chevys, Fords, etc... not Rolls Royces.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Basically for most people "retro" I think is anything older than the last generation.

Insert Coin (Level 0) danny_galaga's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Things move so quickly that I reckon anything more than a couple of generations becomes retro. Thus Xbox and GameCube are retro. This coming from someone who longed to be able to have an Atari 2600
    Last edited by danny_galaga; 07-10-2019 at 10:28 PM.