Thread: Mortal Kombat Plug And Play

Cherry (Level 1) starchildskiss78's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Mortal Kombat Plug And Play

I haven't seen this discussed before so I apologize if this is a duplicate but....

Has anyone tried the Mortal Kombat Plug And Play? They had a display at the K-B Toys and it seemed to me that the experience was there but the directional controller was stiff and unresponsive (especially pushing down.) I don't know if it's just the one they had or if that's a common problem. Also wasn't it a joystick on the original machine? I think they would have done better off going that route. Anyways I'd like to see what y'all think. I kinda like these "Arcade in a box" type games as an inexpensive means to buying the things themselves.
    My webcomic about three kitties and their humans. Touches on different subject matter (including video games) and updates every Sunday and Wednesday. (The kitties demand you read it!)

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

it might be taboo to say bad stuff about this product when banners for it are all over the boards!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think the only version of MK that ran and played right was the original arcade version. It seems that in every home incarnation there has either been gameplay or controll problems, though the Genesis did do the best job in the home market I think.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not trying to say anything bad about it. I'm just trying to see if anyone else has gotten it yet. I may get it and didn't want to buy it and find out it's got built in issues with the controls. (Like my Namco Ms Pac Man Plug And Play)
    My webcomic about three kitties and their humans. Touches on different subject matter (including video games) and updates every Sunday and Wednesday. (The kitties demand you read it!)

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you are reffering to the ad at the bottom of the page there is a discussion about that item under the "Off Topic" section.
    You might find some more info there

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=59214

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey, I appreciate it. Takes someone with true eagle eyes to spot what I couldn't! Anyways...it looks pretty cool. You KNOW I'm gonna break down and buy it!

Quote Originally Posted by jajaja
    If you are reffering to the ad at the bottom of the page there is a discussion about that item under the "Off Topic" section.
    You might find some more info there

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=59214

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have the unit and actually the control is pretty tight. The only moves that are tricky to pull off are the ones that require you to press multiple buttons, notably Subzero's slide and Johnny Cage's low blow. If they had used a joystick, it probably would have made the unit too big.

Graphically, it does take a drop from the arcade version -- no FMV in the profile screens, no parralax scolling in the backgrounds, the monks in the courtyard don't clap (though the sound is still there). There is also a slight pause while characters switch in the endurance rounds, and when you knock a guy into the pit, he actually doesn't fall onto the spikes -- it looks like he falls in front of them (but Reptile is in this version).

I can't give this a huge recommendation due to the higher price, but I'm satisfied with it...