Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: what is/was the worst console rpg? (no spoilers please)

Banana (Level 7) pragmatic insanester's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default what is/was the worst console rpg? (no spoilers please)

heh. i've kind of slacked off in the rpg catagory. just wanted to hear some public opinion. remember, i haven't played as many of these as i have wanted to or have should. don't ruin anything for me!

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

So what are you just looking for a list to avoid without much information why?

Bad RPGs:
    Hydlide (nes)

Bad But Not As Bad As Hydlide:
    Lagoon (snes)
    Quest 64 (n64)
    Eternal Eyes (PSX)
    Fatal Labyrinth (Genesis)

Of course there are other bad titles out there. But I consider these six the cream of the crap.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Personally speaking, Okage: Shadow King for PS2.

This one of the few games I bought for the graphics (very Tim Burton-esque). Almost everything about the game seemed great. Great graphics, great music, unique story, decent overworld handling....

Unfortunately, the battle system COMPLETELY sucked, and completely destroyed the game. It's one of the few games I traded in.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    On the border between sanity and insanity
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm sure I will get burned at the stake for this, but I still attest that Golden Sun for GBA is the worst RPG I've ever played.

It's got boring, lifeless characters, an uninteresting plot, an archaic battle system (who's the genius that decided my characters won't auto-target the next foe after defeating a previous one? The only other game that does this is the original Final fantasy, and for good reason! It makes random battles even more tedious!), all wrapped inside a shell of beautiful graphics and sound. Yes, I'll admit I never finished the game, but I did give it far more time than it deserved (10 hours, about 1/3 its length) hoping to find some glimmer of redemption in it. And when you play a game for 10 hours without enjoying it whatsoever, you know there's something wrong.

I know lots of people love this game, so feel free to counter my arguements. Perhaps the game does get miraculously improved towards the end. Either way, there are much better RPG's to be played in the meantime.

/end rant
    "First, we have aspirin. A common cure for things that aspirin cures. Leads to.....rabies."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

sisko did a good job of what i'm expecting. if the plot is a negative aspect, try to work around using direct wording for it. i.e "wow, talk about total cliche in the department of the characters".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll throw in another vote for Quest 64.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Crush Crawfish
    I'm sure I will get burned at the stake for this, but I still attest that Golden Sun for GBA is the worst RPG I've ever played.

It's got boring, lifeless characters, an uninteresting plot, an archaic battle system (who's the genius that decided my characters won't auto-target the next foe after defeating a previous one? The only other game that does this is the original Final fantasy, and for good reason! It makes random battles even more tedious!), all wrapped inside a shell of beautiful graphics and sound. Yes, I'll admit I never finished the game, but I did give it far more time than it deserved (10 hours, about 1/3 its length) hoping to find some glimmer of redemption in it. And when you play a game for 10 hours without enjoying it whatsoever, you know there's something wrong.

I know lots of people love this game, so feel free to counter my arguements. Perhaps the game does get miraculously improved towards the end. Either way, there are much better RPG's to be played in the meantime.

/end rant
    Hmmmm.... you've never even finished the first game? You need to play both of them to get the entire story, which gets better as the games progress. *stamps argument null and void*

No auto-targetting? It forces you to strategize. Do you make certain the monster is dead, or do you risk it and try to kill another on the same turn? Just because its not a dummy driven FF battle system doesn't mean it sucks

Archaic? I thought the Djinni system was awesome, and something I had never seen done in any game before. Though you would need to play past the first 1/3 of the first game to see the full potential.

*lights match*

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Oh alright, although I personally liked Okage. But anyway...

Hydlide, lets see... the best word to describe this title is "unplayable". Yup, the game provides absolutely no direction, it dumps you off in the middle of a field with a dungeon entrance and no apparent destination, goal, or means of exiting that dungeon. Course now we have gamefaqs but as a child I was completely ticked off I wasted money on that piece of shit cartridge. And it wasn't like I hadn't already been accustom to RPGs like Ultima, Dragon Warrior and their ilk.

And now it's time for work. :P

Great Puma (Level 12) Chainsaw_Charlie's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd say Drakkhen for the Snes. I really couldnt get into it despite the quality it had too much of a pc feel
    My rotating want list http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101550

Your television doesn't care how angry you are with it. Turn it off and find something better to do with your time.-Beserker

Key (Level 9) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll protect you Hydlide and Drakkhen, my 2 very misunderstood babies that only I like

Anywho...

I'd have to say the SNES version of Eye of the Beholder. Ugh.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I actually kinda liked Lagoon.

However, my vote goes to Illusions of Gaia for worst RPG, I hated that game so much.
    Run, run, or you'll be well done! -Kefka

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gapporin

I'd say Adventure for the Atari 2600.

(Yes, yes, I'm kidding. Don't look at me like that!)

And, am I the only one who liked Quest 64? It's no Final Fantasy VI by a long stretch, but I personally enjoyed it.
    "I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."

Great Puma (Level 12) Chainsaw_Charlie's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Avatard

However, my vote goes to Illusions of Gaia for worst RPG, I hated that game so much.
    I'll step in and defend Illusion of Gaia

Without giving away the plot it's among my favorite snes games and the gameplay and plot are top notch
    My rotating want list http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101550

Your television doesn't care how angry you are with it. Turn it off and find something better to do with your time.-Beserker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I also vote for Illusions Of Gaia (or Illusions Of Time as the European title was). I finished it but I didn't like it much. Sometimes you just had to way to let the time pass until something happened, not exactly what I want to see in a game. I mean it's not like wating for the night or waiting to get older but just waiting. Or maybe I didn't really understand the game. Anway, I don't like it!
    http://www.discogs.com/user/Tatsu>My vinyl and CD collection

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    On the border between sanity and insanity
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw_Charlie

I'll step in and defend Illusion of Gaia

Without giving away the plot it's among my favorite snes games and the gameplay and plot are top notch
    I second the defense of Illusion of Gaia. It's a fantastic game, though I must admit I still don't have much of an idea of what was going on in the story. It wasn't translated all that well. :/ But where else do you get to beat the hell out of enemies with a flute?
    "First, we have aspirin. A common cure for things that aspirin cures. Leads to.....rabies."

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Bad RPGs:
    Hydlide (nes)

Bad But Not As Bad As Hydlide:
    Lagoon (snes)
    Quest 64 (n64)
    Eternal Eyes (PSX)
    Fatal Labyrinth (Genesis)
    Yeah, Fatal Labyrinth was pretty bad, but I never really considered it areal RPG anyway. Hydlide is a very addicting game once you go up a few levels. It is very much in the same vein as Dragon Slayer, and even the first 2 Ys games a bit. Like Deadly Towers, it is just VERY misunderstood. Most people that hate the game have not gotten anywhere in it...one you get the hang of the game, it's pretty enjoyable.

Lagoon can hardly be considered the worst. I had a great time with it, granted I beat it in one night. It wasn't a BAD game, just short.

As for Illusion of Gaia...that's another game I beat in a night or two, but I thought it was an excellent game. I've never met a single person who disliked this game, so I find this rather surprising.

You wanna know the WORST rpg? The original Ultima for NES. Absolutely horrible. Great ending though!!

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

another vote here for quest 64
    Even if I go to hell, I will live to the end of this world. And if the world does not come to an end... I will destroy it with my own hands!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Well, if weak SNES graphics get you down, there's always the x68000 Lagoon (but then there's the language issue...)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i was disapointed in the ps2 wizardry game. i only played about 90 mins into it, but having been a fanatic of Bane of the Cosmic Forge and Crusaders of the Dark Savant for the pc...it didn't fufill me.

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

I couldn't figure out what the hell I was doing in Unlimited SaGa.