Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you use strategy guides?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Do you use strategy guides?

What is your view on strategy guides? I don't have many of them (the official one for Fable and one of the FF games, the ones that came with Super Metroid, Mystic Quest and Illusion Of Time and in unofficial one for Champions Of Norrath) but I've noticed that I tend to lean on them way too much when I play a game. The older I get the less patience I have to look around for secrets myself when I'm stuck in a game. I really thinkg this is a shame but still I go online very fast to use a walkthrough when I have problems with a game. Besides that some guides are very well done with lots of pictures and other extras, so it's still a bit tempting to buy one.

What about you, do you buy guides or at least use the online walkthroughs or are you more the type that wants to beat the game by their own? Or do you even collect guides? I heard that their value goes up with time. And which guide is the nicest for you?
    http://www.discogs.com/user/Tatsu>My vinyl and CD collection

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Do you use strategy guides?

Rarely...

Though I have accumulated quite a few.. x_x

The Last strategy guide I bought was for Doom 3..and I did put it to some use.
    ..before that..The GTA SA strategy guide,that's been put to lots of use..

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not one of those who buy the guide at the same time that they buy the game. Unless it's a special guide like the Limited Edition FFX2 book, I'll usually just hop onto Gamefaqs for the help that I need.

I buy any N64 guides that I see, since they go with my collecting and they can be had for cheap. Just scored a Jet Force Gemini guide, which is nice because, in typical Rare fashion, you really NEED a guide for that game so that you can see where the hell you're supposed to be going.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I use a guide now and then. Usually it's a Gamefaqs walkthru and not something I've paid for. I did use the Windwaker guide in order to get done with collecting map and shard pieces quickly. That was more for relief of tedium than anything else. I also have the GTA Vice City guide which I will probably use if I ever get around to playing the game.

Back in the eighties, I wrote a few letters soliciting hints to a Computer Gaming World columnist named Scorpia. She'd (I think it was a she, but maybe it wasn't) write back with detailed answers no matter what game it was.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I buy guides for most games and usually use them as I have no patience anymore. If something takes more than a few minutes to find or figure out I just use a guide or FAQ and be done with it rather than spend the extra time. If there weren't SO MANY GAMES I wouldn't, but if I didn't, I'd never finish anything...

There are some games I don't need em for. I just beat Republic Commando in like 1 day with no guide, but other games like Persona and Shadow Hearts Covenant I'll use the guides heavily.
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I buy guides for certain games but rarely use them. I think i only ever used my DMC, FFX and Fire Emblem guides out of the 20+ i have.

Digitpress feed: Maxlords/Sesshomaru/ Gapporin/Iron Draggon/abdul/rhiohki

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Depends on the game. I just bought a Final Fantasy VIII guide for $2 a couple months back in hopes that it'll encourage me to play through the game soon. I'm about to buy a few current-gen game guides from a friend of mine for the same reason.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i use guides once in a great while, but only after i already beat the game. (to see if i missed anything)
    i don't use online walkthroughs,
    i collect guides for all the resident evil games and all the Mario games. i don't think many of them go up in valve maybe a few of them. (i could be wrong)

my favorite one is for resident evil 4, because it came with a really cool looking poster.

Rick

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I tried once, but the guide didn't actually help me get past a spot I was stuck on. Last time I'll ever buy a damn hint book.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    "I seek strength, not to be greater than by brother, but to fight my greatest enemy - myself!"
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Ozyr's Odyssey2 Archive!

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    On the border between sanity and insanity
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I buy guides for most games and usually use them as I have no patience anymore. If something takes more than a few minutes to find or figure out I just use a guide or FAQ and be done with it rather than spend the extra time. If there weren't SO MANY GAMES I wouldn't, but if I didn't, I'd never finish anything...
    That's exactly how I feel. I don't have the patience like I did when I was kid. It's much better than getting lost and never finishing the game, that's for sure!
    "First, we have aspirin. A common cure for things that aspirin cures. Leads to.....rabies."

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes I used them when playing the final fantasy games. Such as ff 8 and 10

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

All depends.

I certainly collect guides, and I usually want to have it around just incase (my internet sucks anyways), but a lot of times I'll keep it tucked away and not use it unless I've spent a good deal of time on something that's ridiculously annoying.

For example, in God of War in the second level, you have to go into a room thats got a pressure switch and endlessly spawning minotaurs. You've got to use Medusa's head to turn one of them to stone on the pressure switch then run out the gate. Well, the camera pretty much sits right on the pressure switch (long skinny room), and you have to lure one all the way back to do it, but I just stood right where they spawned and killed everything that came out. After 20 or so minotaurs I got fed up and checked the guide, and subsequently felt very dumb.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I buy strat guides when they strike my fancy (has an art section, music CD, the stars are right, whatever), and use FAQs for the games that I don't buy the guide for. My general rule of thumb is that if I get stuck for 20 minutes, I check the guide. I like working through games on my own, but after a while, I'm more likely to give up on the game entirely rather than try any more... so I use the guides then.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I use them if I am really truly stuck on something or if I want to check and see if I missed something.

I bought the FF9 guide to help me through it ... which happens to be the absolute worst guide I have ever seen in my entire life ... Go online for more hints pffttt forget that guide it is a waste of paper.
    Formerly letsallgameon

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Only as a last resort or when i'm.... tried of looking up the answer online.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Rarely here too... I think the last time I actually "used" a strategy guide was for Pokemon Red and Blue, even then I just got it for all the info on moves and such. Never really use them for the strategy.

But I usually buy ones I want just to look through them, or so I can look at the maps... because looking at maps is cool. I bought the Halo 2 guide when it came out just because it was pretty darn attractive. Easilly the most well-made guide available.

I can't stand how they publish strategy guides along side releases though. Most of the time, all the good stuff about a game is discovered weeks or months... or years after a game is publish, and your $16 strategy guide is out of date. Instead of all the Skulls and other secrets for Halo 2... you got "Explore everything..." Why? If you were published after the game, the writers would have had time to catch up with all the REAL specialties, instead of just being able to mention "trying to climb buildings" or "get as high as you can"... Took us like 4 years to get GoldenEye codes!

Currently playing in my dreams: The Brutal Balad of Fangus Klot (Xbox) Citizen Siege (Xbox 360) Hand of Odd (Xbox 360)
    -----
    R.I.P. Oddworld Inhabitants - Long Live the Independent Developer!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I try to avoid them at all costs. Only if I get really stuck in a game will I pull up info on it, and that is always the last result. I feel that if I have to go to a strategy guide, the game was probably really poorly designed.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, I use online guides every now and then.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GobopopRevisited
    I can't stand how they publish strategy guides along side releases though. Most of the time, all the good stuff about a game is discovered weeks or months... or years after a game is publish, and your $16 strategy guide is out of date. Instead of all the Skulls and other secrets for Halo 2... you got "Explore everything..." Why? If you were published after the game, the writers would have had time to catch up with all the REAL specialties, instead of just being able to mention "trying to climb buildings" or "get as high as you can"... Took us like 4 years to get GoldenEye codes!
    strategy guides are a sort of instant gratification deal, supposedly they use reviewer or near complete builds to write those guides so some stuff is missing. besides if they waited for everything to be found guides, wouldn't be released for a long time, specially with the advent of the internet paper guides have almost made obsolete, so the rush to get them to the consumer is greater. however it's good to know that guide publishers are giving people more incentive to purchase the guides, dvds, art books, full color pages (nothing pissed me off more than to pay 14 bucks and have nothing but black and white pages).

besides guides seem to depreciate like crazy (pennied out guides anyone? never seen a pennied out game though right) so there's a higher urgency to get the guide out since you can find all that stuff for free on the web now.

as for the original topic.

yeah sometimes, in fact god of war forced me to open the guide...
    spoiler alert
    how the hell was I supposed to know that I had to kick the box to hit the switch and then roll backwards to get through the door
    spoiler end

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

oh yeah I'd also like to note that doublejump books is very commendable for what they did with the disgaea guide, on a new printing they updated the guide with more info...so yeah hopefully more companies can follow doublejump's example.