Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: SMB2: Doki Doki Panic or Lost Levels?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bob-omb's for one thing! What would the Mario universe be without them? And no Birdo? No Shy Guys? (Yoshi's Island would be screwed!) There is too much in the US SMB2 to lose. The Mario universe (Not just SMB3) would have been affected immensely. Change a little piece of history and you affect the whole outcome.

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bob-omb's? They showed up in like 5 levels in SMB3!

Thats like saying Pokey and the black ninja stars in "Super Mario World" were significant.

Saying the inclusion of these characters as anything more than a reference is asinine. I'll give you the Shy Guy hordes in Yoshi's game...but the others...no.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Push Upstairs
    Bob-omb's? They showed up in like 5 levels in SMB3!

Thats like saying Pokey and the black ninja stars in "Super Mario World" were significant.

Saying the inclusion of these characters as anything more than a reference is asinine. I'll give you the Shy Guy hordes in Yoshi's game...but the others...no.
    You still don't get it. What enemy was a big part of Mario 64? Bob-omb's. Yes. Bob-omb's. What enemies were huge in Yoshi's two games and still show up a lot today? Shy Guys!

Is it so hard to accept that the Doki Doki acquisition is a big part of Mario's history? All that meesa saying is without US SMB2, Mario's history would be a lot different. It would. Face it! Don't even argue.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jasoco
    You still don't get it. What enemy was a big part of Mario 64? Bob-omb's. Yes. Bob-omb's. What enemies were huge in Yoshi's two games and still show up a lot today? Shy Guys!

Is it so hard to accept that the Doki Doki acquisition is a big part of Mario's history? All that meesa saying is without US SMB2, Mario's history would be a lot different. It would. Face it! Don't even argue.

Well if you're saying that SMB2 had a big influence on the Mario series as a whole then I agree 100%. Especially Yoshi's Island, that definitely had a SMB2 feel to it. But i still don't think that SMB3 would have been significantly different without SMB2 USA. I think it would be quite hard for those two games to be any more different.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by daynum

Well if you're saying that SMB2 had a big influence on the Mario series as a whole then I agree 100%. Especially Yoshi's Island, that definitely had a SMB2 feel to it. But i still don't think that SMB3 would have been significantly different without SMB2 USA. I think it would be quite hard for those two games to be any more different.
    That is all I am saying.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here is what you said

"Much of what ended up in SMB3 was introduced in the US version of SMB2."

And when i asked what, all you said was that Bob-ombs are in that Mario 3.

Having that single enemy show up in SMB3, on such a limited scale, doesn't come anywhere near the adjective "much".

I'll give you the later games, Yoshi's games and Mario 64, i've never played those. But to say that SMB2's immediate sequals were significantly influenced because a couple of characters show up is preposterous.

Had these immediate sequals (orginally) retained the vegetable throwing or some other significant gameplay attribute introduced in SMB2(US) then one could claim a larger influence.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell

Also, there are a lot of people (particularly girls) that I've met over the years who worship the US version of SMB2. So, all in all, I guess Nintendo did the right thing.
    So strange you mention this, I have had more than one cute youngster over here (19 and 21 that I can recall) that loved SMB2.

Why?

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by Eibon
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell

Also, there are a lot of people (particularly girls) that I've met over the years who worship the US version of SMB2. So, all in all, I guess Nintendo did the right thing.
    So strange you mention this, I have had more than one cute youngster over here (19 and 21 that I can recall) that loved SMB2.

Why?
    I don't know, really. Something about being able to use the princess, perhaps? It's also not as complicated as 3. We had some friend, that was a girl, who would play that whenever she came over. It never failed; she loved it.

All my girlfriends throughout the years have loved that game. Oddly enough, the one I stuck with actually prefers Super Mario World (the reason she's a keeper! )

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

The Doki Doki Panic conversion (SMB2 US) has always been my favorite Super Mario Bros game BECAUSE it was so different. Instead of "here's the Mushroom Kingdom.... scroll left, scroll left, scroll left... here's the next stage that looks the same..." there were worlds that actually changed and new gameplay elements that came into play as well as puzzle solving and boss fights that incorporated things learned up until that point in the game. It didn't feel like the same mechanic with a different skin or arrangement of blocks - the sense of progress was there. (again, something carried over into SMB3 as Jasoco said)

If you sit down and play Doki Doki Panic you'll notice that Nintendo reworked a lot of the gameplay mechanic as well when they did SMB2 as well as a lot of animation tweaking and changing here and there.

The whole reason I bought a GBA on launch day was to be able to play SMB2 on the go.

I've been playing the original Famicom Disk System version of SMB2 and while yes it's difficult that's really about it. If this would have come over to the US as SMB2 the SMB franchise probably would have turned into what Megaman is now days - a series that peaked with the release of the second game. *waits for Megaman fanboys to attack*

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Jaye
    Hey, I wasn't a toddler! I was either in grade 6 or 7, depending on when the article was published.

Well, without SMB2 (US), Luigi might have remained Mario's identical twin brother instead of the tall, skinny guy he became (the change in design was prompted by the replacement of sprites)...

And the game also saw the introduction of the first transsexual character in the Nintendo world: Birdo!
    didn't we have a thread debating whether or not Birdo had a sex change throughout her life, due to her profiles in subsequent mario games? I forget how that came out.

I have to say, after playing Lost Levels and US SMB2... I prefer SMB2. I think nintendo made the right move, because the JP SMB2 is just way too hard.

Scoots - you're crazy, but I still love ya.

-AG
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

/me picks a large turnip out of the ground and throws it at Adam.

Since someone mentioned it...yes I beat the Lost Levels on 1 life, that was my second time through the game though. The first time it took 3...

Today, not so much...I tried to repeat those performances, but I'm having hang ups on a couple of later levels. Stupid aging thing...
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

in 1988, the graphics on SMB2 were by far the best ever seen on the system. nintnedo was still in the business of wowing people. had nintendo released super mario bros. 1.5, people wouldve complained about things being the exactly the same.

Cherry (Level 1) ClassicGameTrader's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    stillgetmine199

I think you guys are missing a few things

1. Mario 2 USA was pretty much the entire premise for the mario bros. cartoons of the late 80's (fridays were zelda days) am I wrong? It's been so long but didn't those little star shaped monsters appear on the show?

2. I could be wrong about this but doesn't toad make his first appearance in mario 2, later to be seen in mario 3 and other games

3. It set the precident for luigi being a high jumper and mario being the most well rounded character in many games. (Did that happen in SM2j I cant remember)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicGameTrader

1. Mario 2 USA was pretty much the entire premise for the mario bros. cartoons of the late 80's (fridays were zelda days) am I wrong? It's been so long but didn't those little star shaped monsters appear on the show?
    Yes. But i thought it was a mix of both 1+2 (throwing veggies and using fire flower on other occasions)

2. I could be wrong about this but doesn't toad make his first appearance in mario 2, later to be seen in mario 3 and other games
    I don't recall Toad being in Mario 3, but i know he shows up in "Link's Awakening" but he's called something else.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

From what I see, Toad is simply an easy sprite hack of a guy with a huge turban on his head. After all, Doki Doki Panic was about people in an Arabian setting!

Cherry (Level 1) ClassicGameTrader's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    stillgetmine199

Yeah he is in the toad houses, he give you items. Also, the kings right hand dudes are all toads.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

toad was in mario 1- he was the guy that told you the princess wasnt there everytime you beat bowser. i dont think nintendo had given him a name at that time but the character was created for mario 1.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was thinking the SMB2 endboss, Wart

Nevermind.

Does anyone know when SMB2(US) was "hacked" vs when SMB3 was in development?

Didn't SMB2 come out in the US in 1988?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

SMB2 - 1988
    SMB2 - 1990

development cycles werent nearly as long as they are now, im sure these games took six months or less to develop

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I meant SMB2(US) developement and release

vs.

SMB3 Development and release in Japan.

SMB3 has a copyright date on the title screen of 1988.

So if SMB3 was released in Japan in 1988, then wouldn't it be reasonable to assume that both games were "worked on" during the same time period?