Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why are there no Diablo games on the newer consoles?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Why are there no Diablo games on the newer consoles?

I've switched through my games yesterday and found Diablo for the PS1. It was my first hack'n'slay RPG and even if I didn't finish it, I spend hours with gaming. Finding this game makes me wonder why are there no Diablo games on newer consoles? As much as I know the both parts on the PC were sucessfull and now consoles have an online feature, too. So why not making a Diablo game for them or port the second Diablo from PC to X-Box or PS2? Anybody knows the reason for not doing it?
    http://www.discogs.com/user/Tatsu>My vinyl and CD collection

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

IMO there are several/a glut of similar games that do the same thing so much better- not that Diablo isnt a great game- one of my favorites, in fact.

Plus I'd imagine if a new iteration of the series were brought out for newer systems, consumers would just think "more of the same" or "aw, I already played that."
    "The big things that...nerds like to argue about might not actually matter that much."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Good point! At the moment there are a lot of games around in the likes of Diablo. On the other hand they could have made a Diablo game before all those other hack'n'slay games came out. They could have made it the first online game before Champions Of Norrath was out. But I understand that it's more interesting to launch e new series instead of just making a new Diablo clone. I still would support a new Diablo game!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think the Diablo games generally suit a mouse & keyboard and I wouldn't relish trying to play Diablo II on any of the current-gen controllers. Obviously you can get a mouse and keyboard extra on some machines but it adds to the expense.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I haven't played any of the Diablo PC games, only the one on PS1. And there I've found the controlls to be ok.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tatsu
    I haven't played any of the Diablo PC games, only the one on PS1. And there I've found the controlls to be ok.
    it's no comparison, it's WAY better on PC, not to speak of the fact that Diablo 2 is much more complex than Diablo, the PS1 conversion was really bad, and the scores actually showed that too. Diablo is not like BG: DA or Champions, it's not meant to have a direct control, it's meant to have an indirect control (you don't move the char, you just point where he has to go) and that's very hard to do on a console and will never be as good as mouse+keyboard
    -Jan

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by hydr0x
    it's no comparison, it's WAY better on PC, not to speak of the fact that Diablo 2 is much more complex than Diablo, the PS1 conversion was really bad, and the scores actually showed that too. Diablo is not like BG: DA or Champions, it's not meant to have a direct control, it's meant to have an indirect control (you don't move the char, you just point where he has to go) and that's very hard to do on a console and will never be as good as mouse+keyboard
    But you could pull it off easily with a DS. (:

Pac-Man (Level 10) Arqueologia_Digital's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What???, play both versions on PC and you´ll discover an excellent game!!!, console versions are very very bad...

Matías

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default control, control, you must learn control...

lol. having finished the game twice on the ps one, i find these 'the controls are horrible' posts a bit too whiny. just like a fps on a home console, each version of a game will have its detractors and fans. i remember doom fans going nuts about how 'badly' the ps version was with the d-pad, but that didn't stop the game from flying out of retailers.

as for diablo, sure it ain't a pretty translation, but if you DIDN'T play the pc version, you really had nothing to go on, and in that case, ignorance is bliss, and silence is golden. i'd say people who want a hack and slach want direct control on a home console (and the sales of the dark alliance and norrath games prove it). as for why no diablo 2 on da ps2 (or sexbox)- it could be a number of blizzard-related business reasons why a version wasn't done, and "bad control" surely isn't one of them

g.

anyway, if you're looking for a similar chase n' chop with better controls from the pc version, try darkstone for the ps one. it actually does a number of things better than the pc original, the way the plot plays out changes from game to game (the basic quest is the same, but the subquests are doled out at random) and it's very inexpensive last time i checked.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you have a PS2 and want more Diablo-esque action, give Champions of Norrath a shot. Good fun and a -lot- like Diablo. Even better if you have a friend to join in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu
    If you have a PS2 and want more Diablo-esque action, give Champions of Norrath a shot. Good fun and a -lot- like Diablo. Even better if you have a friend to join in.
    it's NOT like the original Diablo at all, NO console game is, see my post about direct/indirect control, it's something completely different
    -Jan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Overbite
    PSN
    MSX6800

Quote Originally Posted by hydr0x
    it's NOT like the original Diablo at all, NO console game is, see my post about direct/indirect control, it's something completely different
    Just because the control scheme is different doesn't mean the games are completely different. They are both the same type of deal (run around hacking and slashing and shooting spells in dungeons while picking up loot). Instead of clicking a lot in Diablo, you're pressing the attack button in the console ones.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

@Overbite

have you played both types of games?? they do NOT play the same, that's like saying Sensible Soccer and PES3 play the same just because they are both Soccer games...
    -Jan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Overbite
    PSN
    MSX6800

I was talking about what I quoted

it's NOT like the original Diablo at all, NO console game is
    They are the same type of game, so they do have basic simmilarities. The play mechanics are the same too. I think the only differences between Diablo and Champions of Norrath (besides the obvious graphics and theme and all that) is that Diablo is a point and click way of playing and champ has more control. They don't play completely differently just because of the difference in control.

and i own them both so neerrrr

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I allready have both of the Baldur's Gate and one of the Champions Of Norrath games (and I plan to buy Champions Of Norrath II and Bard's Tale btw). I like the way the controlls are, I didn't know it's such a difference to PC games. I don't know if I could cope with indirect controle, maybe because I've never done it but I'm not really a mouse and keyboard type. I rarely play PC games besides some simulations like Ages Of Empire when I'm at my dad's home. I really don't know if I would like it, I just love pads!

But thanks for all the inputs, my question has more than just been answered!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Overbite
    They don't play completely differently just because of the difference in control.
    THEY DO, sorry, but i will not argue over this, if you really think they do not play different you either haven't played the PC version or you are one of those persons who would even say that Grim Fandango controls are the same as Monkey Island 1
    -Jan

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

I have to agree with hydr0x on this one. The two control schemes essentially make these two different games. They may not differ as much as, say, a Final Fantasy game and Metal Gear Solid, but they are different.

Direct control with a gamepad makes many of the challenges in the game a matter of where your character is standing, how to jump here or there, avoiding projectiles, etc. It's also significant to note that, with this system, it's a lot harder to aim with projectiles, because your projectiles go wherever your character is aimed.

Controlling with your mouse means that your projectiles go wherever you click. You can do a lot more at once, and possibly even control two or more characters at once (a la Dungeon Siege or familiars and summoned creatures in Diablo 2 and whatnot). Your character also doesn't run into any traps unless they are invisible, because they always go where you tell them to and it's easier to avoid pitfalls. The only mouse-driven game with jumping puzzles that I've seen, in fact, is the hideous Ultima VIII: Pagan, although there are probably others.

Just because the point of the game is to hack & slay, however, doesn't mean that the games are synonymous at all.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Etymological question: I thought that Diablo and its progeny were referred to as "hack 'n' slash" games. When did "hack 'n' slay" become common? Is it now the preferred term?
    (\ /)
    (O.o) ---XBL GT: RHINDLE
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

Maybe we're all just using it because it's the term used by the first poster? I don't "usually" use one way or the other.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like "chase n' chop" myself.

try darkstone for the ps one.
    Right on! I've gone through it 3 times (as different chars) & there are still quests I havent seen. Graphics kinda reek but definitely worth $10 or less.

Diablo, the PS1 conversion was really bad, and the scores actually showed that too
    console versions are very very bad...
    Hmm- I've seen/read only good things about PS Diablo (isnt it the ONLY console version?) IIRC how the control scheme was applied to the PS controller was considered one of the best things about it.

OPM- 4/5
    PSM- 4.5/5
    GI- 8.25/10
    "The big things that...nerds like to argue about might not actually matter that much."