Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why are there no Diablo games on the newer consoles?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Dreamcast was supposed to been treated to a game called Rune Jade which appeared to be a very Diablo-esque game. As far as I know, the game was never commercially released.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Fuyukaze008

The biggest reason I can think is profit. With the Diablo series being released on PC, it has always been a big seller. If one looks at the sales figures for the PS release of Diablo, I would guess that it simply did not sell as well. Thats not to say it was a failure, but simply no where near as much of a sucsess as the PC counterpart. The only reasons I can think is the changes that had to be made between the PC release and the console release. Graphics, controls, and such can make or break a game. If people are used to the game being one way, sometimes its hard for them to adjust to a lesser version of it. Look at the Civilization game that was released on the SNES. Compare it to the PC version. While the changes between the PC and PS release of Diablo may not be as drastic, they do exist. Another factor is online play. When it came to the PS1, there was an obvious void felt that did not exist in the PC release. The ability to log onto Battlenet and play against or with other people. While this argument doesnt hold up as well these days as all 3 of the major console systems are able to access the net, it still should be noted as it would require Blizard to revamp Battlenet to not only allow access to all the PC users of a game, but also the console players. Basicly, it I think its simply not profitable enough to be worth their time to release their titles on home console systems. They know PC systems, they are set up with servers for PC users, and have no reason to risk the increased cost and posible loss of investing such funds in it. Besides, with them loosing so many of their best people over the past few years, I doubt they want to worry about expanding into new hardware. This is my opinion though.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Diablo 2 will never grace a console system because it's literally impossible to play at the pace required without a mouse and a keyboard. None of the Diablo clones will EVER approach that game's greatness. It hasn't been done and ever will be. There's just way too much to it.

I'd call Diablo/II an Action RPG, not a Hack 'N Slash. Hack N' Slash would be more like Gauntlet.

...Diablo 2 on the DS would 0wn. It would 0wn so much that I'd give every Blizzard employee a hug.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by calthaer
    Direct control with a gamepad makes many of the challenges in the game a matter of where your character is standing, how to jump here or there, avoiding projectiles, etc. It's also significant to note that, with this system, it's a lot harder to aim with projectiles, because your projectiles go wherever your character is aimed.
    interestingly enough, some console c&c'ers take care of this nasty issue by auto-aiming ranged shots as long as you're pointed in the general direction. this may seem like a cheat to purists, but it makes the games more accessible and yes, fast when they need to be. i know i definitely appreciated this feature in dark alliance II and the bard's tale, as it kept me from dealing with some really tough packs of beasties up close and personal.

speaking of speed. the pacing is somewhat relative to the player, i feel. i tend to take my time and drop back to use arrows or spells rather than dive in and try to sweep through monsters with force, but i was never much of a berserker fan anyway, lol.

ftr, i played both versions of diablo, and while i like the pc version a great deal, i ended up being happier with the console version because i had no trouble going through it, especially with an interact barracuda pad (can you say analog control, folks?). also, i was happy to see that even more people were going to have a chance to play the game.

btw, evildead- rune jade was released in japan on the dreamcast, last time i checked...

g.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by calthaer
    Maybe we're all just using it because it's the term used by the first poster? I don't "usually" use one way or the other.
    Well, I don't know if it's called hack'n'slay or hack'n'slash. English is not my native language so I didn't think it makes such a difference. I mean it's only a name and it seems that everybody knows what I'm talking about.
    http://www.discogs.com/user/Tatsu>My vinyl and CD collection

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I still pray for the day that D3 will be releason on ps2 or xbox for online play....I can hope cant I?

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Are there even any plans to release a new Diablo game for the PC?
    http://www.discogs.com/user/Tatsu>My vinyl and CD collection

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

depends on blizzard and a couple of financial things going well, i guess. it'll be interesting if a new game IS announced, if it'll be something for a cross platform deal, purists aside. i'm sure a usb/wireless mouse and keyboard are going to be options for the 360 and ps3. of course, nintendo willbe ass out again if the wumohs about the wevowooshun are twoo,

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by evildead2099
    The Dreamcast was supposed to been treated to a game called Rune Jade which appeared to be a very Diablo-esque game. As far as I know, the game was never commercially released.
    Record of Lodoss War is kinda similar too, but with a more direct control method I believe (been a long while since I played it!)