Thread: MAME Tournament Discussion Thread

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

OK, all of the scores are in. I have distributed players into the league, which is now posted here:

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=59720

NE146 had the highest score, so he gets the surprise prize of 150 meseta!

Be on the lookout for e-mail from me so you know what game to play next!

Chris

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

Well, I see that I didn't fare too well in the Galaga round... (I've got an excuse -- I got the message about this last night at 8pm and I had a lot of stuff to do, so I only played for about half an hour.

BTW, was I the only person to find that the rom seemed to be running a bit fast, or was it just me? I was usiing the provided rom on MacMAME 0.88u4b1 (the latest available build, it's not even officially released yet, but at least it supports joysticks again) on an iBook G3 800MHz under Jaguar.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

are the scores anywhere? i can only see the distribution into the divisions...

i'm in the Miyamoto Division, yay and we even have a german match in there

edit: do i read that table right? i made place 13 of 24?? wow, i thought i'd finish in the bottom5, i never played Galaga before and only played ~1,5h for the match, and my score didn't even include the first 10k bonus you can get...
    -Jan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yea, are the scores secret or what? ;)
    Wii: 8285 8147 1575 6278

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Woot! I'm surprised I won this preliminary.. but I'm always happy to win meseta. I'll break that 1000 meseta mark yet!

Yeah I don't see the scores either.. I scored about 251k in Galaga which was actually my FIRST game. Every subsequent game after that I got progressively worse with the closest I could reach again being about 211k Guess it's good to go in fresh. When I was a kid though.. man I'd quadruple that score (I could often make the challenging stages repeat a couple of times). But now of course I'm slow

Here's the .inp file if anyone's interested.
    http://www.users.uswest.net/~userid946/galaga_inp.zip
    I used Mame32plus v95u2

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

I wasn't planning on posting the scores (some of them were kinda low) but if you guys want me to then I will. You can't really figure out the heirarchy of the scoring by looking at the league standing sheet unless you know how you guys are all split up into the divisions.

Chris

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jibbajaba
    I wasn't planning on posting the scores (some of them were kinda low) but if you guys want me to then I will.
    Come on, it's just a game ;) I guess I'll have very low scores with games I'm no good at genre-wise, but I wouldn't have a problem with everyone seeing how much I suck :)

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

And I only played for half an hour, so I can't expect to get an amazingly high score...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i'm not ashamed of my score, i got 61610 if anybody wants to know, NE146, what do you mean with REPEATING the challenging stage?? i figured out the 10k bonus, the getting caught stuff, the more points for leaving ships alive, but that is news to me, man, i should have taken a look at gamefaqs

@ Chris

well i just thought you split up the divisions like this

1st score (NE146): Division 1, Spot1
    2nd score: Div 2, Spot1
    4th score, Div 4, Spot1
    5th score: Div 1, Spot2
    and so on

but as i said, i was surprised because that would make me place 13 which i really can't believe
    -Jan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hydr0x
    @ Chris

well i just thought you split up the divisions like this

1st score (NE146): Division 1, Spot1
    2nd score: Div 2, Spot1
    4th score, Div 4, Spot1
    5th score: Div 1, Spot2
    and so on

but as i said, i was surprised because that would make me place 13 which i really can't believe :D
    I thought so too ... but on the other hand, that would make the last division made up entirely of the "worst" players, which probably isn't very fair - or there is some weird logic behind it all which I don't understand ;)

Oh wait, it doesn't - but it's not very random either I guess :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hydr0x
    NE146, what do you mean with REPEATING the challenging stage?? i figured out the 10k bonus, the getting caught stuff, the more points for leaving ships alive, but that is news to me
    Oh no nothing like that :P I just mean eventually the challenging stages repeat! That's all. I forget exactly where though.. probably by wave 35ish or so?

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

PLEASE READ THIS WHOLE POST BEFORE REPLYING

OK here are the scores, in order from highest to lowest.

Player Score
    NE146 251,160
    Needle 184,340
    Richter Belmount 122,960
    SoulBlazer 108,400
    Robotriot 93,230
    InsaneDavid 90,290
    Quintracker 76,880
    Mr. FoodMonster 75,710
    Dr. Morbis 74,220
    Scooterb23 63,590
    fergojisan 63,320
    Flack 61,750
    hydr0x 61,610
    DragonMaster Sam 55,870
    Cirrus 49,610
    Lord007 49,370
    Cmosfm 48,240
    DDCecil 43,140
    Crush Crawfish 41,960
    Lady Jaye 39,360
    Cryomancer 30,390
    hovoc 28,430
    Kamino 23,470
    Slip81 19,920

The placement is as hydr0x described. This was the best way to make sure that each division has a balanced load of players. Compare the standings sheeet to this list and you will see what I mean.

We are working on a list of games right now. I would like the opinions of all of the players on something though. This league is going to have a regular season, followed by playoffs. I can make the regular season longer or shorter. It depends on why you are playing I guess. Do you want to have fun and play games, or hurry up and finish this offf so that people can have their prizes?

Personally I think it would be more fun to have a longer season, but I dont want people to start losing interest. I will say this, however. The longer it is until the playoffs start, the bigger the prize packages will get.

You guys should also feel free to give me input on the following. How long do you guys want to play each game for? I was figuring on giving 2.5 days per game, in that I would assign the game say on a Monday sometime, and I would have to have the score by the time I woke up on Thursday. It's really up to you guys. If you want the games to start on a Monday and go until the following Sunday night, then that's finee too, but then the league will take longer to complete. There will be AT LEAST 10 games played in the regular season, so if you have a week to play each game, then the playoffs won't start for like 2 and a half months. If we can pack 2 or eeven 3 games in each week, then the playoffs will be here faster. Again, it comes down to whether or not you enjoy the league itself or just want to hurry up and decide things. I will make the decision based on my own thoughts on the issue aalong with what you guys have to say about it. I will say this though. I am going to try to give out a prize for each game, so there will always be something to play for in the short term, but the grandaddy prizes won't be until the end.

Also, if anyone didnt submit a score but still wants to be in the league, PM me and we can discuss it. I feel like I didn't give people enough fair warning by setting the deadline two days after I posted the rules.

Please post your thoughts on these items.

Chris

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jibbajaba
    We are working on a list of games right now. I would like the opinions of all of the players on something though. This league is going to have a regular season, followed by playoffs. I can make the regular season longer or shorter. It depends on why you are playing I guess. Do you want to have fun and play games, or hurry up and finish this offf so that people can have their prizes?
    I'm all for not rushing it and having fun. You mentioned the 3 days per game thing, that sounds good to me. I love Galaga, but I started to get really frustrated at the end. I'm just doing this for the games, not for the prizes.

I'm looking forward to the next game! Good luck to everyone!
    "Where my finger goes is none of your goddamn business." -Metropolisforever

"my house is burning down as I type this because of a Sega AC adapter" -Oobgarm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think it is a good idea to maybe have 2 games per week... One posted Monday and due by Wednesday Midnight, and one Posted Thursday and due by Sunday at Midnight. That way we can get more games in, have a longer regular season, and hey, if someone HAS to miss one, it won't be as big of a deal.

I think about three days is good enough to get your score. Posting the scores is a good idea, too. This is a competition, the results should be out in the open. I don't want people to see me with my shirt off, so I don't swim professionally.

I know that didn't make any sense. I think the competition should be great. I'm all for a longer season: we'll see more interesting games, and it will be good for people (like myself) who can't necessarily get the top score. At least this way we'll have a chance to do well at one or two games.
    -Mark

Wanted: Activision Patches - PM me.
    Wanted: Popful Mail Case/Manual - PM me.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

OK, those both sounded like good suggestions. We can go Monday till Thursday and Thursday till Sunday, hows that? Ill post a game Monday morning that's due on Thursday night, and I'll post a game on Thursday morning that's due on Sunday night.

I'd still like to hear someone throw out some numbers concerning how many games we should play in the regular season. Keep in mind that your win/loss ratio determines if you make the playoffs or not (most players will enter the playoffs though.) So if there are a few games that you suck at, it is going to hurt you more if there is a short season. Since we will do 2 games per week, how many weeks do you guys thing the regular season should be?

Also, if we are going to do the Monday-Thursday and Thursday-Sunday thing, then plan on the league starting this Thursday.

And since I havent really given my opinion on this: I would like to see us have a lot of games in the regular season. I think it would be more fun that way, it would be less demoralizing if you really blew a few of the games, and you would get to play a lot of cool games that you would not normally have played. I plan on using a lot of games that are a little less main stream (i.e. not so much Pac-Man, Centipede, etc.) along with some of the old faithfuls. Gapporin and I are brainstorming the games list right now.

Chris

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What are the options going to be like if we know we're going to miss a game or two? For instance, I'm going to E3 in two weeks, which on that schedule would pretty much make me automatically forfeit two games. I know this sort of thing isn't going to come up too often - not on purpose, anyways - but it's gonna suck that I have up to two automatic losses ahead

My Complete Collection - Currently expanding my PS2 collection by buying up every five dollar game I see

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

Quote Originally Posted by Needle
    What are the options going to be like if we know we're going to miss a game or two? For instance, I'm going to E3 in two weeks, which on that schedule would pretty much make me automatically forfeit two games. I know this sort of thing isn't going to come up too often - not on purpose, anyways - but it's gonna suck that I have up to two automatic losses ahead
    Well if there are a bunch of games in the season, then two losses may not be a big deal. And If we are going to have several players absent due to E3, then maybe we will take a week off, or have the games for that week not count towards the standing, and just have mini-prizes for that week or something. I am not going to work the league around individual people's schedule, but for something like this I might if enough people are affected by it.

Like I said, MOST players will go to the playoffs. The regular season is going to give people a chance to win cool mini-prizes, and it will weed out the players that really arent very good, so that they playoffs are more challenging and interesting for those involved. Mathematically, you will have to have a losing record for it to even be possible to not make it to the playoffs. And if we play like 20 games or something, then 2 games isnt that big of a deal anyway.

Chris

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

First of all, I can't believe I came in 9th because I only played 2 games and submitted the best one (my first game was around 24k). I thought it was purely exhibition so I didn't "give it my all".

Anyway, I think maybe a two month league that has around 16 games, or maybe 14 if there is a bye week, would be good. Any longer than 8 weeks and people might start to loose interest and it will be more of a survival match between the people still playing. With things like this everyone always seems gung-ho at the start but then participation drops sharply after the first few weeks. Hopefully we'll have a little more dedication here on DP.

Another thing; I think the playoff format should be decided and made public before mid-season, so we can plan how to deal with the final games down the stretch.
    "And remember ladies: if it ain't tight, it ain't right!"

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Morbis
    First of all, I can't believe I came in 9th because I only played 2 games and submitted the best one (my first game was around 24k). I thought it was purely exhibition so I didn't "give it my all".

Anyway, I think maybe a two month league that has around 20 games, or maybe 18 if there is a bye week, would be good. Any longer than 8 weeks and people might start to loose interest and it will be more of a survival match between the people still playing. With things like this everyone always seems gung-ho at the start but then participation drops sharply after the first few weeks. Hopefully we'll have a little more dedication here on DP.

Another thing; I think the playoff format should be decided and made public before mid-season, so we can plan how to deal with the final games down the stretch.
    OK he says 20 games over 10 weeks. Anyone else?

Also, the current plan for the playoffs is this: 16 players will go to the playoffs. The two division winners from each conference, plus the 6 next highest win percentages. Each Conference will have a playoff bracket, starting with 4 divisional matches, then 2 quarterfinal matches, then a semifinal (conference championship) match. The two winners of the conference championship matches will play in the final match for the title of world champion. The two conference championship match losers will play one final match to decide third place. Each match could just be a single game, it could be a series of games (best of three, five, or seven), or it could be the three, five, or seven highest scores from the same game. The games use in the playoffs will not be games that were used in the regular season. I will try to pick fairly obscure games in an attempt to make it more fair (the game will be new to both players).

Again, suggestions or comments?

Chris

PS Check out these awesome-as-hell trophies that RockyRaccoon made for us! I have asked Joe to allow Gapporin and I to award these to the three winners (they would be added to your DP item inventories!) Hopefully he agrees!

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Wow, I can't believe I got forth from only about six games. And I probaly could have gotten third if I had more time.

As for the prizes and the scehdulre, that all sounds great to me. Monday thru Thursday night gives us enough time during the week to play one game and then we have the weekend to work on another. So I guess we can expect a e-mail with our next game on Friday?
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion