Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

Quote Originally Posted by SoulBlazer
    Wow, I can't believe I got forth from only about six games. And I probaly could have gotten third if I had more time.

As for the prizes and the scehdulre, that all sounds great to me. Monday thru Thursday night gives us enough time during the week to play one game and then we have the weekend to work on another. So I guess we can expect a e-mail with our next game on Friday?
    No, you'll get your next e-mail on Thursday morning, and the score for that game will be due Sunday night.

Chris

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Oh, I see. Okay, helps to have more carefull reading. Okay, at least I know when to expect the e-mail.

Speaking of the 'next' game -- did you take it from the submissions that we sent in? And how will the game be decided? I know you said you wanted to include some obscure games that probaly no one has played, and I think that's a great idea -- will it be half submissions and half your choice or something like that? And how many games/how long will the league last? (Edit: I see a idea has been posted above about this -- I would'nt mind seeing 24 games for 12 weeks, but 20/10 is good also.)

Sorry for all the stupid questions.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

Quote Originally Posted by SoulBlazer
    Oh, I see. Okay, helps to have more carefull reading. Okay, at least I know when to expect the e-mail.

Speaking of the 'next' game -- did you take it from the submissions that we sent in? And how will the game be decided? I know you said you wanted to include some obscure games that probaly no one has played, and I think that's a great idea -- will it be half submissions and half your choice or something like that? And how many games/how long will the league last? (Edit: I see a idea has been posted above about this -- I would'nt mind seeing 24 games for 12 weeks, but 20/10 is good also.)

Sorry for all the stupid questions.
    The games will be decided by Gapporin and myself. I havent brought this up with him yet, but we make take turns assigning the games.

My original idea with the player suggestions was to weed out any games that were the favorite of certain players, thus levelling the playing field further. If we are going to play 20-25 games instead of 10, however, I could simply include ALL of the player submissions, and the field would still be level. I would find it pretty amusing to see players get their butts kicked at their own suggestions!

Chris

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jibbajaba
    The placement is as hydr0x described. This was the best way to make sure that each division has a balanced load of players. Compare the standings sheeet to this list and you will see what I mean.
    see, that happens when you plan dozens of virtual soccer tournaments when you are 10 years old, you never forget the perfect systems

so i actually made 13th, wow, with a little bit more time to play i could have made top5, amazing

@topic

i'm in for a long season, i don't want this to become more an obligation than fun, you know, and if it's 2 or 3 games per week it'll not be as much fun anymore, i've got to work and study too, and i was already happy to find the 1,5h to play Galaga because of the weekend, i don't think a game forced to be played during the week is a good idea, if you allow us to play both games for the whole 7 days (sorry if that was already suggested, no time to read) that's another thing and would be better!
    -Jan

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

Quote Originally Posted by hydr0x
    The placement is as hydr0x described. This was the best way to make sure that each division has a balanced load of players. Compare the standings sheeet to this list and you will see what I mean.
    see, that happens when you plan dozens of virtual soccer tournaments when you are 10 years old, you never forget the perfect systems

so i actually made 13th, wow, with a little bit more time to play i could have made top5, amazing

@topic

i'm in for a long season, i don't want this to become more an obligation than fun, you know, and if it's 2 or 3 games per week it'll not be as much fun anymore, i've got to work and study too, and i was already happy to find the 1,5h to play Galaga because of the weekend, i don't think a game forced to be played during the week is a good idea, if you allow us to play both games for the whole 7 days (sorry if that was already suggested, no time to read) that's another thing and would be better!
    OK, Im not saying that that is a bad idea, but I dont want to have to deal with people e-mailing me the scores from more than one game at once. What I would do is this: one game goes from Thursday morning until Sunday night, and the other goes from Sunday morning until Thursday night. That way, you could play one game on Saturday and the other on Sunday if you didn't want to play games during the week. If we only did one game per week, then the league would go on for a few months, and I think people would start losing interest and wandering off, even with the ever-growing FABULOUS prize packages.

I would really like to hear more opinions on this.

Chris

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well, i would have a real problem getting any score from thursday to saturday night, that's all i know, no matter how you split up the week, there will alway be someone who doesn't have a free day in that period or maybe doesn't have any time at all, if you make it 1week/game everyone will have time to play the game
    -Jan

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

Quote Originally Posted by hydr0x

@topic

OK, Im not saying that that is a bad idea, but I dont want to have to deal with people e-mailing me the scores from more than one game at once. What I would do is this: one game goes from Thursday morning until Sunday night, and the other goes from Sunday morning until Thursday night. That way, you could play one game on Saturday and the other on Sunday if you didn't want to play games during the week. If we only did one game per week, then the league would go on for a few months, and I think people would start losing interest and wandering off, even with the ever-growing FABULOUS prize packages.

Chris
    I like this better than the original middle-of-the-week game idea... if only because there are times where I do not have the time to play much if at all. Fortunately, I doubt I'll be THAT busy till next summer (when back-to-school rears its head). So, that suits me just fine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

and it will weed out the players that really arent very good, so that they playoffs are more challenging and interesting for those involved.Chris
    Ohh, that's gonna be me

Anyway I vote for more time with each game. I'd rather take my time and have fun with each game rather than rush the whole thing just to end it so people can get prizes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't really mind how the tournament is played out...but I guess if I had a preference it would be for more games played in the end instead of more time for each game. (I don't have much experience with arcade games but I'm already having a blast playing around with MAME for the first time )

And I'd also like to see everybody's scores posted afterwards too just to see how I compare against everybody else.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually, I have no opinion on this, either way is fine for me, I'll accept the decision made here. :)
    Wii: 8285 8147 1575 6278

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

Gapporin and I will decide on the exact format before Sunday. In the mean time, let's play a game!

Head on over to the Official DP MAME League thread and check it out (or just check your e-mail!)

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=59720

Chris

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really like the idea of splitting up the weekend. THis way if someone has more time on the weekends they have a day for each, and if weekdays are better they have a couple days to play each.

It might be a good idea to announce the next game in line ahead of time, so that there are always 2 games for people to play. Give each game a specific 4 day window to submit scores and the players will have more flexibility to play the games when the time is best for them.

(example: On Friday May 6th you can announce the 1st 2 games. Game #1 scores can be submitted from the following Mon-Thurs.(May 9-12) , and game #2 scores from Fri-Mon. (May 13-16). Also on the May 13th you would announce Game #3 and the submission dates of Tue-Fri (May 17-20).)

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

Quote Originally Posted by TripppsK

I really like the idea of splitting up the weekend. THis way if someone has more time on the weekends they have a day for each, and if weekdays are better they have a couple days to play each.

It might be a good idea to announce the next game in line ahead of time, so that there are always 2 games for people to play. Give each game a specific 4 day window to submit scores and the players will have more flexibility to play the games when the time is best for them.

(example: On Friday May 6th you can announce the 1st 2 games. Game #1 scores can be submitted from the following Mon-Thurs.(May 9-12) , and game #2 scores from Fri-Mon. (May 13-16). Also on the May 13th you would announce Game #3 and the submission dates of Tue-Fri (May 17-20).)
    Too complicated. The idea I am leaning towards right now is hydr0x's. I would announce two games every Monday morning, and players would have until Sunday night to submit the scores. Both scores would have to be submitted in the same e-mail, to make it easier for me. That gives players a full 7 days to play the two games, so no matter what their schedule is, they can fit it in somewhere. If they can't then at that point I really wouldn't know what to tell them. I can't think of an idea that is more simple and more convenient to the largest number of people.

I am currently waiting to hear Gapporin's opinion on this. As the vice chairman of the FABULOUS 17th Annual Digital Press MAME League World Championships here at the luxurious MGM Grand Hotel in Las Vegas, Nevada, his opinion carries much weight.

In the mean time, the league has started, so go download Knights of the Round and start kicking some ass!

Chris

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    On the border between sanity and insanity
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, I actually did a lot better in Galaga than I thought...I thought I had last place for sure!

Good game choice with Knights of the Round! I love beat 'em ups, and I've never played this before...gonna spend some time with it later. I figure this contest will be a great way to learn about some obscure games!
    "First, we have aspirin. A common cure for things that aspirin cures. Leads to.....rabies."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I hope everyone plays honestly and doesn't insert coins to continue on games like this that keep your score after continuing.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

Quote Originally Posted by Flack
    I hope everyone plays honestly and doesn't insert coins to continue on games like this that keep your score after continuing.
    Indeed. I will have to start paying attention to this in future games. I think in the future if a game preserves your score after continuing, I will probably not use it in the tourney.

Chris

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flack
    No game should be chosen where continues or cheats could be used.

How about a *Boot Hill* online deathmatch?

Tony Fox
    Digital Press Resident Mix Master
    Digital Press Records NYC

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gapporin

I am currently waiting to hear Gapporin's opinion on this. As the vice chairman of the FABULOUS 17th Annual Digital Press MAME League World Championships here at the luxurious MGM Grand Hotel in Las Vegas, Nevada, his opinion carries much weight.
    Could you please hand me my caviar? Thanks.

I guess since I'm part of the administration on this, I'd better weigh in with a few things: Yes, we are planning on adopting the "2 games per week" style match-ups. We will post the first week's games starting next Monday.

This will also give me and Jibba both a chance to pick a game each week. Although I can't speak for Jibba, his choices will probably reflect the left side of the brain: logical and rational. While my choices will more reflect the right side of the brain: randomness and obscurity. Better brush up on your Japanese! Mwahaha.

In the end, I think that this is the best plan for everybody. I can't wait to see this go full force come next week.
    "I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well I'm not gonna mince words here but... I friggin hate this game

Beat-em-ups always seem to pull out the cheese factor. Anyone gotten to the boss of stage 2 yet? A majority of the time I can't even come close to beating this guy, and I have yet to make it to stage 3 with a player in reserve. He has a close attack, a long attack, an air attack, a speed advantage, a throw, a horse - it's just the programmers were saying "it's about time to collect a quarter"

I also wish they had just added a third button for Guarding. It would have made this game slightly more playable.

Anyways, I'm done ranting. I'm still goin for the high score :P

My Complete Collection - Currently expanding my PS2 collection by buying up every five dollar game I see

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How bout .inp's? Heck in mame32 it's just FILE -> "Play and record input" and you're off! Zip em up and it's a nice record right there of your gameplay and score.

I don't know whether they should be mandatory or not.. I'm kind of leaning against it. But I think if you know how to do it and think it's simple to do.. then why not throw it in there as a courtesy with your score as they're just handy to have.

They wouldn't all have to be reviewed either. And even if they were, if you have a fast pc you can simply load it up then hit F10 to watch the entire recorded game in fast motion.

See like in this case. Not that there's any suspected cheating or anything, but maybe for the highest score in Knights of the Round, you could just quickly review to see if there were any continues for example.. stuff like that.