Page 7 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: MAME Tournament Discussion Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fergojisan
    I'm wondering if, because of all the confusion and now ill will (sort of), maybe we should have a new game. I've put in a little time on the game, and I'm sure everyone else has already, but this is going to set the tone for the rest of the competition. I want to have fun here, I don't want to go through this thread and see a lot of bad feelings pop up in the future. I apologize if I'm out of line here, as I do not mean to offend anyone, especially Jibbajabba and Gapporin. Thanks to you guys for taking the time and setting this all up. I will abide by whatever decision you guys come up with.

Just my two cents, for what it's worth. Thanks for hearing me out.
    No way, then as soon as someone later on doesn't like a game they're going to go "let's pull this one!" This is one tiny hiccup with ONE GAME, besides, it's also serving as an education in how to use MAME for those new to the extended features of the emulator - and that's what these forums are all about - having a good time and gaining information about video games.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

Here are this week's matchups. Let the trash talking begin!

NE146 vs. Robotriot
    Dr. Morbis vs. hydr0x
    Cmosfm vs. Cryomancer
    Needle vs. InsaneDavid
    scooterb23 vs. DragonMaster Sam
    DDCecil vs. Hovoc
    Richter Belmount vs. Quintracker
    Cirrus vs. Fergojisan
    Kamino vs. Crush Crawfish
    SoulBlazer vs. Mr. FoodMonster
    Flack vs. Lord007
    Lady Jaye vs. Slip81
    Sothy vs. Queen of the Felines
    AdamG vs. Tripppsk

Chris

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

After countless games of KotR I have decided to end my torment early and submit a score. The poor hit detection and questionable cheap shots in game are making me want to cough up vital organs! I think I've still put up a fairly competitive score, but who knows, maybe I just suck.

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulBlazer
    Given how you seem to rack up about 20k in points on average a stage, I think someone could break 100k by Sunday if they are lucky and/or good.
    Naa, I think there will be scores far above that.
    If you play like you talk, then you've got me beat

My Complete Collection - Currently expanding my PS2 collection by buying up every five dollar game I see

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Needle
    After countless games of KotR I have decided to end my torment early and submit a score. The poor hit detection and questionable cheap shots in game are making me want to cough up vital organs! I think I've still put up a fairly competitive score, but who knows, maybe I just suck.

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid
    Given how you seem to rack up about 20k in points on average a stage, I think someone could break 100k by Sunday if they are lucky and/or good.
    Naa, I think there will be scores far above that.
    If you play like you talk, then you've got me beat
    I actually submitted my score last night (err.. this morning) since I'm not going to be playing anything with MAME again until saturday night. (going to be too busy) There are some cheap shots in the game, I'll give you that - mainly caused by leaving yourself open when going through a "strong attack" animation. I didn't find collision detection any worse than any other beat-em-up though. I will say that playing all those Beats of Rage mods through their development stages non-stop for about a year refined my beat-em-up skill. I say if you can put in around 70k on one credit you're doing very nicely since this game really is designed to be a quarter muncher. Still a great choice and a game I overlooked on my MAME setup.

Too Old for this Crap Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    QOF
    3DS Friend
    3308-4993-4867

Quote Originally Posted by Jibbajaba

Aw man, I hope he doesn't get pissed off and kill me if he loses.

Kristine

Strawberry (Level 2) DragonMaster Sam's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

This is just my opinion, but I like the idea of using .inp files to prove the legitimacy of the score.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

Quote Originally Posted by Queen Of The Felines

Aw man, I hope he doesn't get pissed off and kill me if he loses.

Kristine
    "I suggest a new strategy, R2. Let the wookie win."

Chris

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

Quote Originally Posted by DragonMaster Sam
    This is just my opinion, but I like the idea of using .inp files to prove the legitimacy of the score.
    Let's see how smoothly it goes this week. Believe it or not, I don't particularly want to watch 56 INP files every week.

Chris

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Ok, I'm also having a problem sending a zipped up .inp file through Hotmail... Is it ok if I send it via my GMail account?

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

Quote Originally Posted by DragonMaster Sam
    Ok, I'm also having a problem sending a zipped up .inp file through Hotmail... Is it ok if I send it via my GMail account?
    Yeah it doesnt matter what e-mail account you use, just make sure that you put your DP nickname in it. If you want, I can start sending e-mails to you gmail account instead of your hotmail account, too. If so, just remind me in your email.

Chris

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I forgot to put the reminder in the email, but you can send the stuff to my GMail account. Thanks alot.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

OK maybe I havent been clear on this. You e-mail should have your DP nickname and score. It should also include youur INP file. I shouldnt have to watch the INP file just to get the scoore.

Thanks.

Chris

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm curious if anyone has either gotten past level 3, or has gotten over 100k. Just for... comparison purposes.
    Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Number 1 in the 'hood g!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

OK maybe I havent been clear on this. You e-mail should have your DP nickname and score. It should also include youur INP file. I shouldnt have to watch the INP file just to get the scoore.

Thanks.

Chris
    Ok, let me re-email you my score.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.FoodMonster
    I'm curious if anyone has either gotten past level 3, or has gotten over 100k. Just for... comparison purposes.
    I made numerous attempts, but I was never able to even get to the final boss of stage 3. I got close a few times, but that last stretch (with the tigers AND the larger armored dudes, with no horse) is just too crowded.

I didn't break 100K either but I came damned close.

My Complete Collection - Currently expanding my PS2 collection by buying up every five dollar game I see

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Well, I was really starting to despair with this game. I've been playing about 4-6 games a day since this was released to us on Tuesday and my first thoughts, while I liked the game, was that it was cheap. Quite hard, bonus attacks are hard to pull off, and only ONE life in reserve. I could'nt get past the boss in Stage 2 and 40k was the best I could get for points.

Tonight, though, my pratice finally paid off. I beat the first boss without taking a hit! I almost beat the second boss without losing my life! I got to the third boss! A total of 86k in points!

Since I of course have no way of knowing how my foe this week (MrFoodMonster) is doing, I'm going to keep playing, right up to the Sunday deadline. (It helps that each game only takes about 10-15 minutes to play). But for those having problems, keep at it.

I've found that you want to use the horse as much as you can, and also if you get ganged up on, stay on the top or bottom of the screen. Don't use special moves on the bosses for max points. Try to defeat a 'chain' of the same foe to increase your point bonuses.

To beat the first boss, move in, hit him a few times, and then fall back. Wait for him to laugh or attack and then hit him again. Don't get greedy, he has a good guard. If you knock him to the floor, whail on him hard.

Much the same thing applies to the second boss, just be more carefull about his attacks and hop on that horse!

The third boss.....eh, I was almost dead when I got to him tonight and his first blow did me in. I'll keep trying.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

86k points is good, but keep practicing. From what I've seen so far, I think we are going to see some pretty astronomical scores by the end of the week. Sure the game is a quarter-muncher, but I dont think it's impossible to beat on one coin, either.

That said, the first INP I get showing the game being beaten on one quarter will get an XBOX game, courtesy of Drexel923, as a prize.

Chris

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I was really starting to despair with this game. I've been playing about 4-6 games a day since this was released to us on Tuesday and my first thoughts, while I liked the game, was that it was cheap. Quite hard, bonus attacks are hard to pull off, and only ONE life in reserve. I could'nt get past the boss in Stage 2 and 40k was the best I could get for points.
    One life in reserve? I have been practicing on my Mame machine, so I haven't started recording yet (I'm quite bad.), and I have had more lives when I started? I will use the correct ROM and record when I get around to it, but I had no idea it was only one life in reserve. Is it really?
    -Mark

Wanted: Activision Patches - PM me.
    Wanted: Popful Mail Case/Manual - PM me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus
    One life in reserve? I have been practicing on my Mame machine, so I haven't started recording yet (I'm quite bad.), and I have had more lives when I started? I will use the correct ROM and record when I get around to it, but I had no idea it was only one life in reserve. Is it really?
    This is good news for me!

Seriously though, good luck Cirrus and everyone. I'm a nervous button masher when it comes to fighting games, so I'm not that great at this one, but I do need to practice more. I haven't made it past the second boss yet. But I got to ride the horsie!
    "Where my finger goes is none of your goddamn business." -Metropolisforever

"my house is burning down as I type this because of a Sega AC adapter" -Oobgarm

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

You should only have one life in reserve! This is why we ask that you use the ROM that we provide, and set the DIP switches according to Gapporin's instructions!!!

Chris