Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Video game original art

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah for example twisted metal was done with something called lightwave which I guess was a precursor to photoshop, and that's late 1995.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    I'm good with art books, haha. Tracking down the original paintings is a rich man's game. I imagine it's not even an option with games made in the last 10+ years since all art assets are probably produced digitally now.
    Books are not the same

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Not the same, sure, but art books along with official posters, wall scrolls, etc. are all good enough for me and about a million times more affordable. Owning the original piece of art is very impressive as a collectible, but I'd never drop that kind of money, if I could even afford them in the first place. Same deal with prototype collecting. It's interesting and cool and all, but I'm not rich, so it's not for me. I'd rather spend $20-$40 importing a nice Japanese art book (way better than the little preorder bonus art books you get from US publishers), and I can enjoy looking at dozens of pieces of art from an artist I like rather than dropping presumably hundreds or thousands on just one piece.

Like, I loved the Japanese cover of Brain Lord, so I tracked down a copy of this book:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sachiko-Ka...-/370778795799

And because I love the Dracula XX art, I got this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Akihiro-Yama...-/232176347552

Just a couple examples that I have in my collection. These types of Japanese art books are often really large with quality printing and paper. It's a great way to enjoy box art without logos and such in the way or worrying about the condition of the box.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Yeah an art book from Japan maybe the best option for a lot of people who aren't making money into the 6 figures a year or more (or higher 5s if you're a loner.) That MM7 is fantastic, never miss seeing the crazy stuff you pull out to make a point or just to share.

Lightwave? Never heard of it. I was thinking lightroom but that's a 2000s product.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, as I was saying collecting images vs collecting actual art are two completely different conversations. Nothing wrong with either as there are different ways to approach things. I certainly understand that POV as I spent close to 20 years being a comic collector who wondered why people collect comic art.

The originals are for people who enjoy the images, sure, but I also think they are really for the collector who has been around a long time and kind of seen and done everything else. In my case I've had enough sealed NES through my hands that whatever game I might buy or happen across, its just not going to excite me much anymore. For example, the first time I got a sealed copy of dk math jr it felt like I had found the lost ark... angels sang... light radiated from it... and I thought it was the best thing I'd ever seen. I've had three copies now. The last one, I'll tell you, despite paying 11k, I enjoyed it for about two minutes and then it went into a box.

Art on the other hand is a whole different level of special as a collector's piece. I've had that mm7 for a long time, but I still think its the best thing I've ever seen
    Last edited by Bronty-2; 12-19-2016 at 12:27 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I'm on that level in a way, just on a cheaper one. I've done the buy and enjoy/hoard(collect) old 8/16bit games since 1995. I've had most of it pass by me in some form or another so I get little that gives me a rise anymore. I picked up for a deal ($65 being still annoying) a copy of Trip world for GB probably 1 1/2 to 2 years ago, a game that goes into the hundreds. I thought I'd be all heart racing and jacked. I didn't care one way or the other over anything else. I just was happy to have something to plug into my gameboy to play just like any five dollar title and enjoyed it, and I still do. But as I'm (not sarcastic tone here) loaded like you while like you where you can turn over stuff that isn't your favorite, I still keep it because the price sucked then and sucks more now so I hold some things for that reason alone.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bronty-2 View Post
    Well, as I was saying collecting images vs collecting actual art are two completely different conversations. Nothing wrong with either as there are different ways to approach things. I certainly understand that POV as I spent close to 20 years being a comic collector who wondered why people collect comic art.
    Don't get me wrong, I understand the mentality and appeal perfectly. For me, I care about appreciating the art itself, so there's not much advantage to owning the original outside of them probably being larger than the pages of an art book in most cases. For those who want the originals, it's about it being a collectible, on top of the appreciation of the art. It's like the difference between those who would, say, buy a retro game digitally on VC or PSN or what have you versus those who would track down a physical copy. The former is obviously interested in playing the game and that's it. The latter may want to play the game too, but they probably enjoy it as a collectible as well. On a totally different scale, you could apply this to my collecting of art books as well, when many people are perfectly satisfied to look up the images online. I enjoy my art books as collectibles too, seeing them lined up on my shelves.

There aren't a lot of active topics on this board these days, so I figured I'd comment on how I enjoy game art, especially when the topic had gone into how to see cover art without all the logos and such plastered over them. My point was that there are more avenues for that than tracking down the original work. I wasn't aiming to change the topic. Though, really, you're probably the only active member here who has the money and connections to land these pieces, so I don't think you're going to find much conversation here from others collecting originals. Or is this topic just intended for showing off your pieces and getting others to "ooh" and "aah"? Nothing wrong with that, if that's the case, but the topic is presented like a discussion topic.

Me, I'm only impressed with that MM7 piece in that it's a one-of-a-kind collectible. On an artistic level, I don't think any of the Americanized Mega Man covers are particularly well-drawn or painted. I'd rather look at the art in my Rockman Perfect Memories art book, which had a MSRP of a mere 1000 yen.

I dunno, I feel like there's some degree of a breakdown in communication when regular folk try to explain this kind of stuff to very wealthy collectors who have caviar tastes and can't be satisfied with "normal" things. Honestly, I'm kinda glad I'm not in a position where I could drop $11k on something and still feel blase about it.
    Last edited by Aussie2B; 12-20-2016 at 12:26 PM.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Don't get me wrong, I understand the mentality and appeal perfectly. For me, I care about appreciating the art itself, so there's not much advantage to owning the original outside of them probably being larger than the pages of an art book in most cases. For those who want the originals, it's about it being a collectible, on top of the appreciation of the art. It's like the difference between those who would, say, buy a retro game digitally on VC or PSN or what have you versus those who would track down a physical copy. The former is obviously interested in playing the game and that's it. The latter may want to play the game too, but they probably enjoy it as a collectible as well. On a totally different scale, you could apply this to my collecting of art books as well, when many people are perfectly satisfied to look up the images online. I enjoy my art books as collectibles too, seeing them lined up on my shelves.

I totally understand your viewpoint, and sure its about it being a collectible as well. I think appreciating it from a book, a jpg, an original are all equally and completely valid. That being said, the idea that they are even on a visual level "the same" is just not right, but you wouldn't know that unless you'd seen one, and you've never seen one. That box, that jpg, whatever it is, is a print taken from a photo. Lots of losses in detail along the way to say nothing of yes, the scale and colors being completely different.

Now, as you say, you can get a book for ten bucks and many will be happy with that and I totally understand, but if nothing else I wish I could show them to you in person so that you could understand in a real way that they are not "the same" any more than a postcard of Michelangelo's David is the same as the statue itself.

As for the whole wealthy slant, I'm not sure where you got that impression. I do fine, but I'm not wealthy and I don't throw around 11k without thinking hard about it. That was kind of my point - that even a major purchase no longer really does much for me when it comes to games.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There aren't a lot of active topics on this board these days, so I figured I'd comment on how I enjoy game art, especially when the topic had gone into how to see cover art without all the logos and such plastered over them. My point was that there are more avenues for that than tracking down the original work. I wasn't aiming to change the topic. .
    And I appreciate your participation in the topic.

As for the point of it, it wasn't to brag although I'm not above that once in a while, I think we all do it from time to time. I started the thread eleven years ago when I had not a single piece, and no idea on how to get any. I stumbled across it now, and just kind of chuckled aloud about it, and bumped it, you and tanooki had another POV on the whole thing, and that's fine, but the topic was always started to be about originals and nothing else. That doesn't mean we can't discuss books and prints now, but they are separate conversations.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Me, I'm only impressed with that MM7 piece in that it's a one-of-a-kind collectible. On an artistic level, I don't think any of the Americanized Mega Man covers are particularly well-drawn or painted. I'd rather look at the art in my Rockman Perfect Memories art book, which had a MSRP of a mere 1000 yen.
    I disagree with the whole 'omfg japanese box art is so awesome' thing that you hear a lot. There were many great covers, and many terrible ones, on both sides of the Pacific.

I find the japanese rockman covers overly cluttered personally. Its a matter of taste, and certainly there are many, many wonderful japanese covers, but there are lots of great american ones too.
    Last edited by Bronty-2; 12-20-2016 at 02:20 PM.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bronty-2 View Post
    Anybody out here know where most of the video game art is? Locked up in private japanese collections, or what? I'd love to be able to find or purchase some of the original box art from NES/SNES games - can anyone point me in the right direction? There must be a few people out there with nice collections of this stuff. Would loooove to find the box art to Brandish, for example.

Hmm.. better question... does anyone know how to identify the artist on a given box? Is there a list of credits somewhere? Any ideas guys? x_x

thanks for any input anyone might have.

12 years after this post I am still looking and still always interested if anyone reading has some to sell... thank you. Please pm me if so.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

whered you find the cover art for X2 at?

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    whered you find the cover art for X2 at?
    In my storage locker

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

sheet I wish my storage locker had game box art in it.

instead its got mounds of old systems I naver seem to bring home....

some day it'll happen, I wanna play some 5200 that I found in a dumpster 10 years ago now that I got some games 3 years back