Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ""Illegal"" mod chips?!?!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok then, by that logic, roms are illegal as well, yet links for where to get them are shared freely in the emu forum.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

Ok then, by that logic, roms are illegal as well, yet links for where to get them are shared freely in the emu forum
    If you are unclear as to what is permitted in the emu forum you can check out the rules outlined at the top by Zektor and DP. If you still have a question you better ask one of them.

All I know is that you can't post mod chips,modded systems or backups in the Buying and Selling forum.

I don't think ROMs are illegal unless they are bought and sold. However anything that circumvents encryption (ie a mod chip) is.
    Remember this isn't JUST about whats illegal and whats not. Its about whats permitted on this site and what is not.

To answer your question (I think) the selling of ROMs in the Buying and Selling forum will get you a LOCK as well.

Adam

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

However, you CAN NOT sell them here.
    To be perfectly clear on this issue, I have never, EVER tried to do that on this site or any other site. The way you put it hints that maybe I have, or would like to.

That is not the case. This thread is about tools to maintain your game collection. It is too bad that the modchip tool is illegal in the US. CD jewel boxes protect your CD's too. Hopefully they won't try to ban those as well! Wouldn't want you to have to buy only one copy or anything....

I fully realize Joe's right to effectively "ban" certain topics. I see this as a political thread, with a collecting slant. I sincerely hope that even political discussion of the issue and the DMCA are not "banned" topics. That very idea frightens me. In this instance, I am definitely glad to not be American.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

No no we DO welcome discussion of the DCMA and whether or not it should be. While it can erupt into a battlezone fight at times its not something we try to sweep under the rug. Don't expect us to change the law for you though. Our politicial favors are all used up after the famous DP mod party fiasco.

So while one's views on the DCMA are welcome one's expertice on modding a PSX is not.

This isn't about censorship of views its just about conducting a "clean" operation.

Adam

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Achika

I'm with Butta on the issue. I need something to play my Ore No Ryouri on my PSX/PS One. Unfortunately the mod-chip I have allows me to play Vibribbon, but not ONR. I'm just wondering, without disc swapping all the time, and one step short of buying a JP PS One, what's the middle option?

All I get is the anti-mod warning when I boot up my ONR.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

[quote="omnedon"]
    CD jewel boxes protect your CD's too. Hopefully they won't try to ban those as well!
    So why or how would CD jewel cases be illegal to ban?
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, perhaps I could use one to commit a crime? I could make a "shiv" out of one and stab someone with it. That would be assault at the very least, and a crime.

This is very pertininent, considering we are discussing the banning of a tool that can be used as a benefit to consumer, but could also be used to commit a crime.

Do you think we should ban all things that potentially could be used to commit a crime, or is technology somehow "special" and Ok to ban?

I don't understand how some just don't get it. You are giving up your rights to access to knowledge and technology. Willfully. Or at least your lawmakers are.

Some governments think forums like this are subversive, and should be banned too. Why do the ones in power always fear empowering the citizens?
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by omnedon
    Well, perhaps I could use one to commit a crime? I could make a "shiv" out of one and stab someone with it. That would be assault at the very least, and a crime.

This is very pertininent, considering we are discussing the banning of a tool that can be used as a benefit to consumer, but could also be used to commit a crime.
    Well, if they start banning everything that could be used in crimes, we'd have to give up everything and head back to stone ago. A pen, for example, could be used to stab victims or a $0.99 marker could bypass the anti-copy security on certain audio CD. A car could be used to kill someone and a DVD-ROM could be used to make illegal rip of a movie that would be distributed on the internet.

There's a zillion ways a common everyday object could be used to commit a crime. But the real solution is not banning or restricting anything, it's getting people to use common sense. > >
    Another day, another dollar... wake me when it's payday.
    still playing games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, if they start banning everything that could be used in crimes, we'd have to give up everything and head back to stone ago.
    Couldn't have said it better myself. For some reason the powers that be consider modchips different.

I am all for copy protection. They should make games difficult and expensive to copy. They should void all warranty and service agreements if the equipment has been tampered with.

Making it illegal for me to do what I will with property I own, is a nasty precedent. And bad for collector's to boot, IMO.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What company actually produces mod chips?

Are they custom chips or just a buch of regulation chips on a board?

How much dose it cost to produce them?

I find it interesting that these so called Illegal chips could make it onto the market.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They are simply an Integrated circuit.
    I will not go into any detail.

When you look at the finished modded product on the inside, it is obviously an "out of spec" addition, that looks almost homemade when installed.

I sincerely doubt it enhances reliability in any way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Achika
    I'm just wondering, without disc swapping all the time, and one step short of buying a JP PS One, what's the middle option?
    PSX emulator on your PC is a middle option.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

last post on the subject..
    I honestly don't think anyone here has a problem with psx mod chips. I might see being upset if you had a lot invested in used psx games and didn't want your market ruined but for the end user why wouldn't you consider it? If for nothing else then Emports. I think the Board rules should be adjusted on this subject the second the last psx game is taken off the market...

That will be in.. 4 years?
    Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I recently posted an auction selling a Japanese game that, in my auction description, simply MENTIONED may work on a "modded" PSX. The auction was quickly cancelled & I got notified about my "mistake" (though I can repost w/ a modified description). I thought it was really stupid...

It's like saying I can't sell a lighter since it could be usd to light a joint, or burn down a house... >
    "The big things that...nerds like to argue about might not actually matter that much."