Thread: PC Engine CD question (Japanese help)

Apple (Level 5) Lord Contaminous's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default PC Engine CD question (Japanese help)

Whenever I put a PC Engine CD ROM/Super CD game into my CD player just to listen to the music, always on track 1, I hear a woman speaking Japanese and I only hear the words "CD" and "Computer Data". Another time I put Dracula X and Snatcher in my CD player abd they both say the same message in the form of a comedy skit. If anyone can translate this message I can appreciate it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I tried Dracula X, as it's the only one I have. It's just a short drama stating that it's not an audio CD, and the 'data starts on track 2 -- so don't play it in your CD player'.
    gamengai
    Best import site on the net.
    My for sale list

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

The one with the woman speaking (that sounds like an airport or train station announcement) is the standard PCEngine CD / PCEngine Duo warning. She's basically telling you that this disc is for usage ONLY on a PCEngine CD system, the next track contains computer data, and that playing it may damage your audio player. I actually have that as my message at my voicemail service - it's great! It always weeds out telemarketers or people I don't want to talk to, they simply hang up.

Some games have different recordings, it seems the Konami games usually put a touch more production value into the message. In other words the message varies (just like the error screen that comes up if you're not using a proper System card on a PCEngine CD) but the one with the woman is the standard one.

.......now if I could only figure out why my copy of A-Train III won't play on my Duo but runs fine via emulation. :/

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For some other amusing PC-Engine "in-jokes," try putting Super-CD2 in a regular PCE-CD system. Some of them have really cute "this game doesn't work" messages. IIRC both Dungeon Master II and Dracula X have some sort of message, among others.

Apple (Level 5) Lord Contaminous's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wait, I got to hear the standard warning in English. I forgot I had a copy of US Riot Zone.
    About the Dracula X warning, I'd like to know exactly what they said. That first part of it you hear birds singing, Maria says something and Richter's scream had me rolling on the floor laughing.

Maria says the warning first. Then after awhile, Richter says it but he doesn't get to finish.

Richter and Maria start talking as they're about to argue and you hear these punching noises and they say something in unison. then you hear that BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ sound on the CD.

If anyone can make a WAV of that, that would be awesome

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid
    The one with the woman speaking (that sounds like an airport or train station announcement) is the standard PCEngine CD / PCEngine Duo warning. She's basically telling you that this disc is for usage ONLY on a PCEngine CD system, the next track contains computer data, and that playing it may damage your audio player. I actually have that as my message at my voicemail service - it's great! It always weeds out telemarketers or people I don't want to talk to, they simply hang up.

Some games have different recordings, it seems the Konami games usually put a touch more production value into the message. In other words the message varies (just like the error screen that comes up if you're not using a proper System card on a PCEngine CD) but the one with the woman is the standard one.

.......now if I could only figure out why my copy of A-Train III won't play on my Duo but runs fine via emulation. :/
    I believe A 3 requires the Memory Base 128 if I remember right.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Azazel
    Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid
    I believe A 3 requires the Memory Base 128 if I remember right.
    ...oh yeah, boy do I feel stupid! I totally overlooked that little icon on the case and booklet - for like three years! Thanks Azazel!