Thread: Sega Classics Collection--Is another coming?

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Sega Classics Collection--Is another coming?

Hey Folks,

I recently got the Sega Classics collection, and it's great to have 10 of the Ages releases all in one disk. I was wondering...has anyone heard whether they other Ages titles will ever have a similar release? I know there's about 4 titles that aren't out yet, but it sure would be great to play Fist of the North Star and Alex Kidd (if it ever makes it out) without having to use a swap disk or an import console.

Does anyone else have trouble playing the original version of FotNS that's on the Ages disk (the Mark III game)? Using a swap disk, the whole system locks up when I go into that. The main game freezes between some levels too...

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As much as I would love to see another collection, I doubt there will be one. I was really looking forward to both After Burner II and Gain Ground, but those were obviously passed over.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Let's see, compilations are en vogue now, hopefully we get another collection disc from Sega, or any other publisher.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Yeah, I can't believe we didn't get Phantasy Star over here, actually. It would have been a perfect hype machine for Phatasy Star Universe. Hopefully we'll see it in a future release.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    On the border between sanity and insanity
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell
    Yeah, I can't believe we didn't get Phantasy Star over here, actually. It would have been a perfect hype machine for Phatasy Star Universe. Hopefully we'll see it in a future release.
    They're supposed to be releasing it along with 2 & 4 in a compilation called phantasy star trilogy, but it's been delayed so many times that I'm not even sure if it's being released anymore.

Anyways, I really loved the first compilation, and would love to see another one with those alex kidd & streets of rage remakes that were supposed to come out. Did those ever get released in japan?
    "First, we have aspirin. A common cure for things that aspirin cures. Leads to.....rabies."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default r

Still waiting on Bare Kuckles and Alex Kidd...I think there's only four more ages titles coming. I believe Alex Kidd, the PSiV, then Bare Knuckles......I forget the 4th one, heh.

Hey, anyone know how many levels are in Space Harrier? I got to 17 and haven't really attempted anything else yet. I think the SMS version had 18, but I dunno what this one is...

-Rob

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Didn't the Fighting Vipers port just come out in Japan too?

And Dragon Force is still on its way. From what I've seen, it's shaping up to one of the best in the Sega Ages series. I imagine that it would do well if it were released in America, since the original is such a cult favorite.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

The SegaAges2500 series is still in full swing in Japan and there are far more than four titles that we didn't get in the first compilation, and many more on the way.

Check out the official SegaAges2500 site...
    http://ages.sega.jp/

As you can see there are already enough games that weren't in the first compilation that could fill a second. I don't see why they would make a new Alex Kidd game, it just doesn't make sense since when you think of classic Sega games from that era you focus mainly on the arcade titles (OutRun, AfterBurner, etc.). However it wouldn't surprise me to see a SegaAges version of HangOn sooner or later.

I wish they (or anyone) would freaking remake Radmobile one of these days though...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default r

Where on that site do you see anything other already released titles and the few mentioned that haven't made it yet?

-Rob

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RottenToTheGore
    PSN
    TheSuperSadist

Quote Originally Posted by Crush Crawfish
    They're supposed to be releasing it along with 2 & 4 in a compilation called phantasy star trilogy, but it's been delayed so many times that I'm not even sure if it's being released anymore.
    I think this game was announced just a tad too early.

The remake of 2 just came out a few weeks ago in Japan, so if it is going to make it here, we have quite awhile.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm
    Hello VACRMH, you have just received 666 Meseta from Oobgarm.
    The following comment was made: HAIL SATAN

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Default Re: r

Quote Originally Posted by rbudrick
    Where on that site do you see anything other already released titles and the few mentioned that haven't made it yet?

-Rob
    If you count the titles at the SegaAges site (aside from the Phantasy Star games) that were not on the Sega Classics Collection compilation then you'd see that there are eight - enough to fill another compilation release.

(09) Gain Ground
    (10) AfterBuner II
    (11) Fist of the North Star
    (12) Puyo Puyo Perfect Set
    (15) Decathlete Collection
    (16) Virtua Fighter 2
    (18) Dragon Force
    (19) Fighting Vipers

(Volumes 9, 10, 11, 12, 15, 16, 18, and 19 for those that can't read Japanese or are unfamilar with the box art) Additionally 3DAges has made no intention of stopping their string of remakes so I'm sure there are more on the way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know specifically what collections will be released. Rest assured more will considering they can make instant sales. However to get slightly off topic, is anybody else that so many collections are not well made or have changed game play for the worse. I love to see collections and am guilty of buying before trying. However I think that may stop. Too many releases that say "hey, this is easy let's give them crap because it'll sell anyway". Just a thought.
    With a humble heart, on bended knee...

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I hope for you Americans they will release a second part, but first I need to pray that we will get the first part in Europe as well. At least I didn't saw it on any releasedat on the net.

On the other hand I still have half the collection as import, but it would be nice to have them all on one disc, which saves me a lot of time. So Sega Europe release it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mianrtcv
    I don't know specifically what collections will be released. Rest assured more will considering they can make instant sales.
    I'm just glad to see "hobbyist gamer" series' like this making it to the US from Japan at all, compilation or not. As for sales Sega Classics Collection doesn't seem to be doing amazing, even for a compilation release. This is one of those games where mainstream review press will kill sales outright unless word of mouth keeps it moving along. Seems most reviews compare the 3DAges remakes to first generation PlayStation titles...... maybe they need to sit down and ACTUALLY PLAY some first generation PlayStation titles to see how completely wrong they are. They're more akin to first generation Dreamcast titles if anything - which is how they should be - updated, yet still classic Sega looking.

Quote Originally Posted by Mianrtcv
    I love to see collections and am guilty of buying before trying. However I think that may stop. Too many releases that say "hey, this is easy let's give them crap because it'll sell anyway". Just a thought.
    You know I used to see that a lot (Activision Classics for the original PlayStation comes to mind) but lately there has been a good amount of polish on the compilation releases such as the cool menu system with Activision Anthology on the PS2. While the menu system between the games in Sega Classics Collection could have used a bit more work (seriously, most MAME frontends are nicer than this) you have to remember that originally these titles were individual releases in a special series of remakes. Really they're just all put together on one disc (and localized of course) and strung together with a minimal game selection menu as a central hub.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

I don't really read the mainstream press, but I keep hearing how they've been slamming the Sega Classics Collection.

I not only think they need to sit down and play some first-generation Playstation titles, as InsaneDavid has suggested, but they also need to sit down and actually play the original games, because it's pretty obvious that they never have.

These are undeniably good games, especially Fantasy Zone and Outrun...hell most all of them are good games, and they were very highly regarded when they were first released. Why are they considered crap now? They're all pretty similar to their ancestral counterparts.

I think a lot of people reviewing these games aren't game fans, and they're comparing what they see with the big-selling games of today, because that's what they assume people want. Just my opinion, but it probably isn't all that far from the truth.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I haven't been too impressed with most of the Sega Ages games I've played, but I've been paying 2500 yen a pop for 'em. When I get home I'll pick up the Sega Ages pack "just because" and see how the others are. At that price, if even one or two of them is any good (I already have Fantasy Zone, which is the best one I've played), it'll be worth it.