Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Default Random Game O' the Day: Devil Dice

The Wednesday random game generator has chosen one from the immense PSX library. A little puzzler called Devil Dice.

Let me begin by saying that I suck so bad at this game that I'm sure I've never really understood its potential. At one time in my life I was pretty good with numbers. This game proves that I am not.

Ever play Devil Dice? What are your opinions on it? What would you have done differently? How good - or bad - are you at the game? Are you into Satan? Add your two cents here!

DP Guide sez:
    U.S. Game Releases
    Devil Dice (PlayStation, by T*HQ) $10/R4 +
    a.k.a. XI (Japan)
    Developed by Sony. Not only is this a great puzzler, but it was originally concieved by an ambious group of Japanese Net Yaroze home developers! Multiplayer adapter compatible. Released 9/1/1998. #SLUS-00672.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I only played this game for a few minutes, and while it struck me as a game that could be fun if I got used to it, I never gave it a real chance. It's already got a cult following of sorts, so I'm sure there's something to it.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Haven't played the PSX version, although I picked up its sequel, Bombastic, on the PS2. Not a bad little puzzle, but like the two comments before, it really takes some patience to get into, and I would guess that the learning curve for these games are ~1 hour. A unique and applaudable effort by THQ and SCEA, for trying to bring more to the dry puzzler genre than another boring Tetris clone.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i'm guilty. have this game sitting on the shelf. never played once. i should set my priorities right
    visit my PlayStation 1 PAL website at www.defconsoft.co.uk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have this game, and love it to pieces. While a bit complicated to learn the end result is phenominal. It's been a while since I played it, but I always chose from 2 modes (can't remember if there was more).

The first was a frantic muliplayer battle mode where up to 5(?) people would compete against each other to clear out a specified series of dice. The cool thing? You could steal your opponents combo at anytime! Additionally there is a battle mode remniscent of Bombastic's, where the devils have HP and you try to kill each other - the concept is the same, though the mechanics are a bit different.

The second mode is a puzzle mode where the game really shines. Can you clear the board in X moves or less? It gets damn hard, and there are STILL puzzles I cannot figure out to the day.

Overall, I'd rank this game slightly below its sequel, Bombastic, but thats only because Devil Dice is unlockable IN Bombastic

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Fantastic little game. To restate an earlier comment, it is a much welcomed addition to a world full of Tetris ripoffs.
    Can be a very fast paced game, and it really makes you learn where the numbers fall on standard dice. Has a great secondary section of puzzles where you need to accomplish certain tasks with a limited amount of moves. If you have it on your shelf, give it a try.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It seems like a pretty cool game. There's a freeware barebones PC clone named Evil Dice if you want to try it out.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Outstanding game!

Everything about this game works: cute characters, nice colorful graphics, groovy play mechanics. Single player mode is okay, but it's best played as a multiplayer trash-talk fest.
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

Devil Dice is quite possibly one of the best puzzlers ever coded. It passes the ultimate test for a game: You sit down, play it, then suddenly shout "shite almighty! what just happened to the past two hours?"

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What a freaky coincidence - after about a year of searching local places for DD, I finally found it this past Saturday.

DD has a steep learning curve, but its worth learning. Next to IQ, this is one of the best PSX puzzlers.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is one of the few games i have ever played that makes me feel dumb. I just cant remember the number placement on the dice to save my life.
    Eyes - Pete and Pete, Bullet Ballet
    Ears - Exploding Hearts , Tattle Tales
    Hands - Neutopia II, NBA Live 05

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shai hulud
    This is one of the few games i have ever played that makes me feel dumb. I just cant remember the number placement on the dice to save my life.
    You don't need to really. Just remember that the opposite sides of the dice always add up to 7

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Ahhh Devil Dice
    My wife was just playing this game about a week ago...
    I deliberately laid a few games on the floor with a PSone hooked up for her to notice when she came in the room.
    To entice her to play as she loves Devil Dice...I still have my copy from the day it was released/shoot what did that cost $50.00 back then..

I Suck at this game but she is very good at it so you know who I bought it for..(or who plays it)

The last time I was in a Gamestop I picked up Bombastic(ps2)..because when I looked at the back of the box it looked like Devil Dice..(Yells to wife"Check this Out!!")

Note:..I don't know if Devil Dice had a sequel so if Bombastic is it,please let me know.
    I don't normally look for these type games,only if I want to get my wife something to play..(and we've yet to play it)

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Videogamerdaryll
    Note:..I don't know if Devil Dice had a sequel so if Bombastic is it,please let me know.
    I don't normally look for these type games,only if I want to get my wife something to play..(and we've yet to play it)
    Bombastic is indeed the sequel to Devil Dice -- and as sisko mentioned, DD is an unlockable game/mode within Bombastic.

-- Z.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bombastic is one of the sequels. There are four XI games that I know of:

XI (psx): Released in US/EU as Devil Dice
    XI Jumbo (psx): Not released in US/EU
    XI Little (WonderSwan)
    XI GO (PS2): Released in US/EU as Bombastic

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Love this series. A good friend introduced me to Devil Dice some time ago and we had a lot of fun with it. You can play co-op in the puzzle mode or you can go head to head with up to five players. Combo stealing is where all the trash talk begins. Some player will start a "six-chain", and then another player will steal it, increasing the length of time that chain is on the board. Before you know it, everyone is vying for the same, gigantic six-chain, and it grows to magnificent proportions One lucky player gets the points, and the others attempt to stab him with the nearest sharp object. It's a great game for audible insulting of players

Bombastic, the sequel, is based on the same board layout, however the play mechanics are a little different, using exploding dice as the basis for combos. If you ask me, it's not as fun as original DD mode. After playing in Bombastic Mode, you can unlock Classic Mode, so both games or on the disc, including a balls-hard Advanced Mode.

I love the game, but yea, the learning curve is way off the scale.

My Complete Collection - Currently expanding my PS2 collection by buying up every five dollar game I see

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love this game. I have both Devil Dice and Bombastic. Both are very addictive if you love these type of games. I haven't played them in a while and will be breaking them out tonight.

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Default Bombastic

Sweet.!!!....Thanks everyone for answering my Bombastic question and the info.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Women are really drawn to this game, I've had two girlfriends fall in love with it. In fact, my current girlfriend actually bought a PSOne to serve as a "Devil Dice adaptor" for her TV.

I found the game mode very addictive, and I enjoyed unlocking all the odd photo backgrounds, but the puzzle mode was maddeningly hard, and it eventually chased me off.

Still a great game, with really fun design and music.

Here's a bit of trivia -- the first time I played Devil Dice was from the demo disc from an issue of OPM. I liked the game, but I absolutely loved the music! It was a very nice ambient piece, and I looked forward to getting the game and maybe being able to listen to the disc as a CD.
    However, it turned out that the music was changed before release and the tune I liked wasn't anywhere on the actual game.
    It's only a game if you PLAY it!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

<3