Thread: Press Kits

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Press Kits

I realize this may not belong here but Im hoping those interested in prototypes may have more knowledge on this.
    I already have a couple of PS2 press kits and I seem to be getting more interested in obtaining more but they never seem to be available for sale.
    The press kits of interest to me are those that that contain bonus materials (figurines, posters,etc) with the promo disc which is basically a not for resale full game and come packaged in different packaging.
    Here is an example of a press kit.

Does anyone know of any interesting press kits and how hard are these to obtain.?
    Here is an example of the Tekken 4 ps2 press kit.
    http://www.majkel.mds.pl/images/konsole/ps2/t42.jpg

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Those are pretty unusual. Most times, the "press" just get either a beta copy or the final version in retail packaging (sometimes the manufacturer punches a hole in the barcode to prevent you from selling them). Press kits like you are interested in are given out for bigger games at release parties or sent to bigger retail buyers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Press kits aren't as hard to get a hold of as you may think... trick is knowing the company acting as a press agent for a particular publisher. Typically, if you work for some kind of media outlet look for "press contact" on the companies website; send those folks a request.

Alternatively, E3 is the place to get them; same rub though, need to be media to get access to the press room. Or, on the main floor, go to the reception area and ask for one. Sometimes you'll get lucky

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Most of the promotional material or "Not For Resale" games that I see are the exact same as the final release. Sometimes with the exception of a "Not For Resale sticker" or something to this nature on it. I have a few early demos and "Not For Resale" games around and I have seen quite a few over the years.

Usually game makers send out promotional booklets with pictures of the coming product. This is a bit more common as they don't have to have the game completed yet to release the info. Some of the recent ones I have seen are Shenmue II, Steel Battalion, and a blurb on Xenosaga.

Dunno what other info you may be interested in but I'll try to help best I can.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the replys, Guess I'll always be dreaming of a MGS II
    solid metal breifcase and replica gun press kit
    BTW why do (not for resale games) not get much on ebay.
    I know they don't have the history, and rareity of proto's, nor are they really much fun to observe since they are an exact duplicate of a released game but in terms if Limited qty they would still beat the hell out of any limited release title right?.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I assume the not for resale games that your talking about are pack in games like Sonic with the Genesis system. The ones I am talking about say for example Shenmue II, for the XBox, still new with a sticker on it saying "Not for resale". I haven't seen any ebay auctions for games like that yet. Though to be honest I haven't really looked.