Thread: Your experiences with third party memory cards

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Your experiences with third party memory cards

Are they really as bad as some people say? I've hard from several people that using third party memory cards is quite risky. They tend to produce errors like data loss and other failures. I have one original memory card for the PS2, and never occured any problems. I need to get a new one today and again I chose an original one (ok, I didn't see any third party card...).

I have about six PS1 memory cards, three of them came bundled together with a game and were about 7$. Of course those are not original memory cards... But I never had any problems with them either, and they are maybe three years old. So is this third party memory card thingy rather an urban legend? I'm keen to hear your experiences!
    http://www.discogs.com/user/Tatsu>My vinyl and CD collection

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

when i used to own a ps1 i used to have a 3rd party card & it worked perfectly for months. Then one day when i was playing i got the data is damaged error & it would no longer load any of my saves.

I lost everything thtat was on the card including my FF7 save, from then on i vowed never to get 3rd party cards.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes 3rd party memory cards are probally the worst 3rd party accessory you can buy. To be honest just about every 3rd party accessory is crap (controllers, Game speakers, game cases, ect). But really why risk hundreds or thousands of hours of your game saves to save 5-10 dollars?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have two 3rd party memoryv cards for my Ninyendo 64 and they still work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think it depends on the company you choose. Some third party cards, like the Nyko ones for the GC are licensed by Nintendo, and they seem to work fine.

but still I wouldn't say that any third party product is as reliable as a first party one.

In the end if you want to get a third party card, just put less important saves on them like I do, that way if anything happens is no big deal.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

To quote Grange Hill (an old kids show here in the UK): "Just say no!" (anyone my age in the UK will get that now!)

Third party memory cards are the worst thing in hell. Never buy them now because they have always crapped up on me in the past and with plenty of other people.

ServBot (Level 11) Lemmy Kilmister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by importaku
    when i used to own a ps1 i used to have a 3rd party card & it worked perfectly for months. Then one day when i was playing i got the data is damaged error & it would no longer load any of my saves.

I lost everything thtat was on the card including my FF7 save, from then on i vowed never to get 3rd party cards.
    Same thing happen to me.

I bought a cheap 3rd party memory card when I first bought my Playstation figuring I'd save a few bucks. However, after about a month or so using it, it decided to delete all my Tekken 2 data I had at the time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been using a Mad Catz PS2 memory card (I think it was licensed though) since buying my PS2 over 4 years ago without a single problem. I know that's probably more the exception than the rule, and in almost every instance I try to spend a little more to get a 1st party card.

Strawberry (Level 2) DragonMaster Sam's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I bought this third-party memory card from a guy in my computer class during my sophomore year in high school. I haven't used it much, but when I did, I had no problems. Probably the last time it was used, MLB 2000 or '01 was saved on it, and I had no problems.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

BAD
    BAD
    BAD!!!!!!!!
    I had n64 third party cards. They ALL CORRUPTED. See: Interact, Nuby, MadCatz.
    Also know people with shitty cards for other systems, they do the same garbage. CORRUPT.YOUR.DATA.
    I'm too cheap to buy fabric softener, twist-ties, and fast food; yet, I buy first party cards and controllers. They work. 3rd party cards do not.
    ~Kamino

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only good ones I've ever used are the Interact ones for GameCube. EB started selling brand-new ones as pre-owned when Interact went out of business, and I haven't lost any data on them yet. Beats spending a buttload on the 1050, or however much the huge Nintendo brand cards go for.
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Fuyukaze008

I used to use 3rd party mem cards for my PS1 untill 2 out of 5 of them lost everything. After loosing my Arc The lad saves as well as my Front Mission 3 EX saves, I vowed never to use them again. You may have good luck with them, but the best investment I have had is with the DX Drive. It lets me save my memory files on my comp which has come to be very good. I just wish I could do the same for my PS2, DC, and Saturn save files.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: Your experiences with third party memory cards

Right now I'm using a couple third party cards for my PS1, they work fine. Back in 1997 I bought one of those huge 50+ block multi-page cards (has an LED light on the front), and a few months ago I noticed it wasn't working at all anymore...I guess it worked fine for quite a while, though; ~6 years isn't too bad. Threw it against a wall (I don't get many chances to vent on my gaming goods!)

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

I have several third party memory cards for my PS1 -- I know two of them are Interact, and one is Preformance, and another is MadCatz. All have worked fine. I DO have some Sony PS1 cards, and both of mine for the PS2 are Sony official. Plus my Nintendo GC cards are official. It's really only the PS1 I had any third party memory cards. And some of these cards I've used regarly since mid 1998, so I'm not worried.

The only third party card I HAVE had problems with was one I got with my PS1 in early 1998 -- Ed, I believe it's the same card you're talking about. It was one of those page cram cards with a LED display and you pushed a button to flip pages. Worked fine for a year or so, then started to get wonky on me, so I hurridly copied everything to other cards. I can't recall who made it or what the name was, though.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

When the Playstation came out, for Christmas, I got a FF7 and a Memory Card, it was one of those really big ones that held about 4 times the size of a normal memory card. I was pretty new to Memory cards at that time, so it sounded like a great deal!

20 Hours into FF7 - card wiped itself clean.

started over

30 Hours into FF7 - card wiped itself clean.

I then bought an official Memory card, it still holds all my saves from 10 years ago. If you can, go with a first party, if you really want a third party, DO NOT get one that holds more than an official one. I've had no problems with normal size third party cards, but I wouldn't use any for all my main saves though, it would be too scary.

Bell (Level 8) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When I bought my Gamecube I got a Madcatz 4x memory card. (3 years ago!) I used it for all my games including Zelda: Wind Waker, Super Smash Bros. Melee, Mario Kartouble Dash, Luigi's Mansion, Metroid Prime, Kirby's Air Ride, Mario Party 4 & 5, and others. Most of the games were beat but not 100% (like I didn't get all the figures in Zelda or I didn't get all mice in Luigi's Mansion) and one day my memory card went corrupt! I lost all that memory that I worked so hard for Now, I've been working to get back to where I was on those games. (One thing I thought was unusual was that the card went corrupt after my sister played Spyro: Year of The Dragonfly. I was thinking that that game might've made it go corrupt because before I let her play Spyro I was playing Zelda and the card was fine.)
    Check my auctions here! I am in the business of finding off-beat things, including video game stuff!

View my collection!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    kz5ive

Didnt happen to me personally, but I've seen 3rd party memory card mess up the ps1 controller port.

That Nyko memory card for the PS2 is good. Well it is license by sony. My nephew has one and never had a problem with it.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mixed experiences. I have a pelican memory card (Brainboy, the one that haxx0rs your pokémon) for GBC that works perfectly fine and without corruption for four years, but I got one of those 4X memory cards for dreamcast, destroyed my SA2 save and my PSO character (85 RaCast).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by SoulBlazer
    The only third party card I HAVE had problems with was one I got with my PS1 in early 1998 -- Ed, I believe it's the same card you're talking about. It was one of those page cram cards with a LED display and you pushed a button to flip pages. Worked fine for a year or so, then started to get wonky on me, so I hurridly copied everything to other cards. I can't recall who made it or what the name was, though.
    Nah, I've seen the ones you're talking about...with mine you had to press a button combo to flip pages when you turned the PlayStation on. Horrible, horrible, and I probably never used most of the pages :o

The brand was...well, I don't see a brand. There's two datel chips inside, a "Microchip" (?) brand chip, and the PCB has a datel marking...the outer case for the thing says "Massive Memory Card 1440," and that actually was probably how many blocks it had (56 pages or something? I don't know the standard number of blocks per card...)

As for Mad Katz, I used one for a few months that I'd borrowed...didn't cause any trouble.

For other systems, I haven't ever had a problem or had data go bad, but I've only used first party cards for the GC, XBox, and N64 (whatever those are called).

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've never had problems with any 3rd party memory cards.......yet. Although I try to by the official ones.

Now if you want to discuss those cheap 3rd party controllers.........